Western Union :sender + receiver difference

CANLOU

Registered
I sent myself an amount calculated as Total to receiver 220,000 . When I picked it up 2hrs later the receipt was for 215,000 ARS
Has anyone else experienced this. A 5,000 difference is substantial and no explanation is given .Would it have been more if I waited a week and the exchange rate had gone up. Getting a response from their chatbot is useless

I sent myself an amount calculated as Total to receiver 220,000 . When I picked it up 2hrs later the receipt was for 215,000 ARS
Has anyone else experienced this. A 5,000 difference is substantial and no explanation is given .Would it have been more if I waited a week and the exchange rate had gone up. Getting a response from their chatbot is useless
The answer to your question was posted by jantango on the thread titled: Western Union money transfer
See page 336:
They played you for a fool and took advantage of you. Once they hear a foreign accent, they proceed with a scam. I went to a Pago Facil in Recoleta for some cash and was charged 100 pesos for the transaction. Pago Facil NEVER charges for any transaction. I reported it immediately.

From what country did you send the money?

If I send money from the US for cash pickup, the exchange rate is fixed and the amount is fixed to what the exchange rate was the moment I paid for the transfer.

Money sent from other countries (Uruguay, Canada - I think) is paid out at the exchange rate at the moment of payout. So the amount of pesos isn't fixed. It normally will say when setting up the transfer something about the amount received will be determined by the exchange rate at the time of pickup. You can always check the receipt as well to see what rate you received versus the rate when you set up the transfer.

I don't think you were cheated in this case, but the rate likely just changed (WU usually updates it in the afternoon) between the time you set up the transfer and picked up the money.

I use the Canadian website because the fee is much cheaper, but apparently that means they can pay whatever they want when you pick up. My advice is if you're using the Canadian website, pickup in the AM and send when you're in line at the office.

Yes it is from Canada on wu website That is a big difference in 2hrs and I thought the rate would be higher ,as the US rate goes up everyday . Thanks for the tips . Next time will go first thing in the morning.

Yes it is from Canada on wu website That is a big difference in 2hrs and I thought the rate would be higher ,as the US rate goes up everyday . Thanks for the tips . Next time will go first thing in the morning.
When you send bank to bank the rate is determined at the moment you hit enter. When you do a cash pick up the rate is determined in REAL TIME at the moment you pick up. So it doesn't matter which tome of the day you go, but the smaller the gap is between the moment you send and the moment you pick up the less fluctuation you can expect. The agents in WU have no control of it, so they can't manipulate it, the moment they enter your info into the system the rate is determined and appears on their screen. Anyone who has an IT background knows how it works.

When you send bank to bank the rate is determined at the moment you hit enter. When you do a cash pick up the rate is determined in REAL TIME at the moment you pick up. So it doesn't matter which tome of the day you go, but the smaller the gap is between the moment you send and the moment you pick up the less fluctuation you can expect. The agents in WU have no control of it, so they can't manipulate it, the moment they enter your info into the system the rate is determined and appears on their screen. Anyone who has an IT background knows how it works.
this does not apply to the EU version; for cash pickup (with sender payment by bank transfer/card) the rate is determined up front also. I have often waited for 2 weeks to pickup and the rate payed out is as agreed up front. During this time you can cancel the transfer if the exchange rate spikes and gives you less than the current rate, but this spike would want to exceed the fee as you wont be refunded the fee.

it is correct if a Credit card is used. don't know re bank account to cash pickup.

This was from a debit card on WU Canada website .I have had 3 other cash pickups and they were always exactly the amount calculated as amount to receiver. It may be because the peso has been changing so rapidly in the last few weeks.
They did not ask how much I was picking up , it only comes up on the receipt after they enter all the information.

Back