The Good Food in BA Thread

Maybe I've been here too long, but really, the food here is not as bad as all these people are saying. There's just not as much variety as you might find in a multi-cultural city like New York or Vancouver. But like anything in Argentina, you can find it if you're willing to put some effort in. This isn't the USA, get off yer asses and make some effort if you want good food, it's not on every corner and it's often best to buy the ingredients and make things yourself, because Argentina lags behind the world and an interest in gastronomy is only just arriving here.

Indian food -- Taj Mahal was fantastic

Basque-French cuisine: Centro Vasco Frances

the restaurant at the Architecture club is very good, can't remember what it is called off hand

El Manto = very good Armenian, but you can find very good Armenian pretty much anywhere here.

Sudeste in Bajo San Isidro (Tiscornia) -- small menu but very good food

Bangalore / Gilbraltar for a pub-quality curry -- ie nothing fantastic but decent grub

Nikkai (Asociacion Japones) -- very good sushi

Kansas for American food

Amaranta for American style brunch

Social Paraiso used to have a very good lunch deal, haven't been in ages

Gran Bar Danzon had the best grilled cheese I've ever had...

There's a cafe near me that has fantastic salads at lunch time -- La Cata on Soldado de la Independencia

Natural Deli also has great salads for lunch

If you're a big eater the buffet at Rodizio has pretty much everything that you could hope to consume, including sushi

Clo Clo also very good on the Costanera but may be closed for renos

Bahamas Restaurant is set to reopen after a half million dollar investment, supposed to have beautiful setting etc, will be curious to try it out.

I've yet to find somewhere that does fish really well that's not got it dripping in butter or roquefort -- it's one thing that Buenos Aires does incredibly poorly, fish.

I went to Bi Won a Korean restaurant on Junin between Tucuman and Lavalle and it was great. I was really surprised...I don't know if I liked it so much because I haven't had good food in so long, or if it's actually really that good, but it doesn't matter. I'm definitely going back and highly recommend it. I had the pork, it was a big portion with lots of sides, everything cooked and seasoned just right, and real kimchi. The place was full mainly of Koreans and other Asians, I was the only white guy there; they were all having bimbimbap in a stone pot, which I'll try next time. They only take cash.

The area sucks, nothing to see or do there and at night it's unpleasant/hostile, so take a cab.

Again, really exceeded my expectations...which is rare in BA, as someone has already said.

On another note I went this week again to Bardot and had the ceviche nikkei, but for some reason it wasn't as good as the time before. It was sloppily prepared, and the dish actually came warm or lukewarm, which for ceviche is unpleasant. I'm giving Bardot another shot because it was quite good the first time, but not going back very soon. I also had the displeasure of sitting next to a group of American tourists of the worst kind (young desk-jockey/indoor tough guy with smirks on their faces, soft-looking with fat faces and potbelly, loud talking self-importantly about all kinds of banal shit with 3 ugly girls).

pandulf.ironhead said:
I went to Bi Won a Korean restaurant on Junin between Tucuman and Lavalle and it was great. I was really surprised...I don't know if I liked it so much because I haven't had good food in so long, or if it's actually really that good, but it doesn't matter. I'm definitely going back and highly recommend it. I had the pork, it was a big portion with lots of sides, everything cooked and seasoned just right, and real kimchi. The place was full mainly of Koreans and other Asians, I was the only white guy there; they were all having bimbimbap in a stone pot, which I'll try next time. They only take cash.

The area sucks, nothing to see or do there and at night it's unpleasant/hostile, so take a cab.

Again, really exceeded my expectations...which is rare in BA, as someone has already said.

On another note I went this week again to Bardot and had the ceviche nikkei, but for some reason it wasn't as good as the time before. It was sloppily prepared, and the dish actually came warm or lukewarm, which for ceviche is unpleasant. I'm giving Bardot another shot because it was quite good the first time, but not going back very soon. I also had the displeasure of sitting next to a group of American tourists of the worst kind (young desk-jockey/indoor tough guy with smirks on their faces, soft-looking with fat faces and potbelly, loud talking self-importantly about all kinds of banal shit with 3 ugly girls).

Bi won is one of my fave places, definitely a great experience :)

For those of you who live in Almagro around Medrano Subte stop, you are missing out if you haven't tried the cakes at Confitería Boulevard (Corrientes 3961). I bought a portion of their Bariloche cake for my student's birthday, and it was sincerely the best bakery-bought cake I've had in over 3 years in Argentina. I prefer to make my own, but I don't make anything as eye AND tastebud appealing as this!!! Thank goodness I don't have this place nearby or I would be visiting much more often. Go treat yourself to a porción!

Back