The Good Food in BA Thread

Mercedes is about 1 hour by car, Northwest, just past Lujan. Also serviced by bus and train.

in terms of the variety of delicious, authentic international food all in one country, there's no question that the US is the best destination. this is due to the simple fact that we have an extremely large and diverse immigrant population from all over the world. many of the immigrant populations in the US are the largest groups living outside of their respective countries.

there's no need to get all competitive about it. it's the natural result of human migration patterns.

there also isn't a need to put down the cuisine of another country. consider yourself extremely fortunate to have grown up in a country where you had the benefit of exposure to multiple cultures and foods.

just talking about argentina.....from my own personal experience, i've lived here since before the crash of the peso in 2001 when there was virtually ZERO foreign food of any kind.....and what was here wasn't that good.....the cheaper living has naturally brought more foreigners and along with them, their respective cuisines, ideas, beliefs...etc.

let's also not forget the issue of physical location vs demand. the relatively small demand from a population of only 40 million is nothing when compared to that of 300 million. many ingredients and imports simply don't find their way down here due to costs.

for e.g. the number one sushi ingredient i miss the most is eel. i have yet to see an unagi roll on any menu here.

While i agree on most of your demonstration, Redrum, i digress on one point :

There were lots of french chefs in Buenos Aires, before the crash, because, just like in New York, they could hope to make a better living than back home. Most of them lost their investment during the crash and returned back home.:eek:

I guess this is true for chefs of other nationalities.

I dont understand why there was less variety before the crash, since the power of buying imported goods was higher. It doesn t make much sense to me.:confused:

ssr said:
Dear lord, what an ignorant fool.

Stupidity seems to be ruining every thread on this site at this point. And how ridiculous is it that these Argentines spend so much time at this expat forum site? Can anyone imagine doing that back home? It's creepy.

so basically you are the kind of person who would not help a foreigner back home??? Creepy...

redrum said:
in terms of the variety of delicious, authentic international food all in one country, there's no question that the US is the best destination. this is due to the simple fact that we have an extremely large and diverse immigrant population from all over the world. many of the immigrant populations in the US are the largest groups living outside of their respective countries.

there's no need to get all competitive about it. it's the natural result of human migration patterns.

there also isn't a need to put down the cuisine of another country. consider yourself extremely fortunate to have grown up in a country where you had the benefit of exposure to multiple cultures and foods.

just talking about argentina.....from my own personal experience, i've lived here since before the crash of the peso in 2001 when there was virtually ZERO foreign food of any kind.....and what was here wasn't that good.....the cheaper living has naturally brought more foreigners and along with them, their respective cuisines, ideas, beliefs...etc.

let's also not forget the issue of physical location vs demand. the relatively small demand from a population of only 40 million is nothing when compared to that of 300 million. many ingredients and imports simply don't find their way down here due to costs.

for e.g. the number one sushi ingredient i miss the most is eel. i have yet to see an unagi roll on any menu here.

yet you can buy eel at the Chinese in Belgrano. I agree with you, before 2001 the offer was less varied, I think there was more money, but less interest, I believe this is an effect of globalization+internet here.

MikeB12 said:
I think this is the best point of the thread.

As for Malbec's suggestion that NYC is not famous for food outside of the US, I think that this is off base. NYC has more diverse ethnic neighborhoods than just about any metropolitan area in the world. Any type of food from Egyptian to Ethiopian to Laotian food can be found in NYC. And for those who prefer the five star restaurants NYC has that too. Money attracts the best chefs from around the world. I think it is pretty well agreed upon that NYC, Paris, Tokyo, Singapore, and Hong Kong reign supreme.

I'm a fan of the food here, can't beat the beef. However, it is lacking in diversity that is found in other large cities, such as those mentioned above.

I think the best variety in NYC is street food! You cannot beat that!

This thread... so negative. For crying out loud could we not for once focus on positives without being backhanded or overtly hostile/ superior.

And to be frank, as I'm writing from an area of the US I absolutely adore (Arizona), while there is great food available here... it is certainly not the majority or average. Even shopping at large supermarkets here is a sad state of affairs. I do appreciate inexpensive wine but overall, value for non-packaged food items is pretty low (fruits, vegetables, cheese) ... I was surprized. I am moreso used to the Whole Foods/ Stew Leonards/ NYC type markets which certainly have amazing selection and quality although you often pay a premium. There's a big difference btw the best of the best in major cities and what you find all over the country. Of course when I pay for a meal what would easily be rent for a month in BA it is going to be of a different level.

I don't think the average Argentine is that much worse than the average US restaurant... at all... and both CAN offer some absolutely incredible experiences for your palate.

nikad said:
so basically you are the kind of person who would not help a foreigner back home??? Creepy...

Nope. Screw 'em. Besides, you never know when some weirdo foreigner's gonna have some crazy monkey pox or a little bomb strapped their thigh or whatever. Best to just avoid 'em. :)

Ailujjj said:
This thread... so negative. For crying out loud could we not for once focus on positives without being backhanded or overtly hostile/ superior.

And to be frank, as I'm writing from an area of the US I absolutely adore (Arizona), while there is great food available here... it is certainly not the majority or average. Even shopping at large supermarkets here is a sad state of affairs. I do appreciate inexpensive wine but overall, value for non-packaged food items is pretty low (fruits, vegetables, cheese) ... I was surprized. I am moreso used to the Whole Foods/ Stew Leonards/ NYC type markets which certainly have amazing selection and quality although you often pay a premium. There's a big difference btw the best of the best in major cities and what you find all over the country. Of course when I pay for a meal what would easily be rent for a month in BA it is going to be of a different level.

I don't think the average Argentine is that much worse than the average US restaurant... at all... and both CAN offer some absolutely incredible experiences for your palate.

Can't we all just get along?! ;)

Well, Ailujjj, this thread is really about good food in Buenos Aires (which is the NYC/DC/LA/etc. of Argentina so the comparisons to major--and far superior ;)--cities in the US are warranted) but I will say this about food in the rest of Argentina: it does seem to get better the further you get from Buenos Aires. I had some great food in El Calafate and some absolutely amazing food in Mendoza. I haven't been up north yet (going soon, though), but I hear the food is great up there and might even actually have a bit of kick to it (I'll believe it when I taste it).

So, to your point that the average Argentine restaurant isn't much worse than the average US restaurant, I might agree. But, again, this thread is about good food in Buenos Aires and those of us from great food cities are rightfully underwhelmed by the options in BA.

What's a great food city? Well, here's just about the fairest take on the food in Buenos Aires that I've come across (complete with a link to another food thread right here at BAExpats.org):

http://food.theatlantic.com/abroad/what-makes-a-great-food-city.php

Buenos Aires is not a great food city but there are definitely a few good dishes to be found around town so, for crying out loud, people, let's focus on positives for once and start sharing those dishes! :)

ssr said:
Nope. Screw 'em. Besides, you never know when some weirdo foreigner's gonna have some crazy monkey pox or a little bomb strapped their thigh or whatever. Best to just avoid 'em. :)
Karma is a bi**h ;)

Back