The Government just reversed gas and electricity increases

ghost said:
The only consistent thing in Argentina is inconsistency. I wonder if this means refunds or credits in the next billing period?

I guess that is not clear yet :p

Did they really expect price increases of up to 400 percent to go through? What idiots... The same mistake has been made by countless governments, e.g. Indonesia reducing gasoline subsidies cause massive rioting. Why not take a gradual approach and phase out subsidies over 5 to 10 years?

Joe said:
Did they really expect price increases of up to 400 percent to go through? What idiots... The same mistake has been made by countless governments, e.g. Indonesia reducing gasoline subsidies cause massive rioting. Why not take a gradual approach and phase out subsidies over 5 to 10 years?
There are several reasons for this, which all have the same basis: Mentality aka lack of civismo.

Long time planning in Argentina is impossible, the metronome election (click-clack-click-clack) - as a protest - of representatives from the opposite party - any opposite party - so no government can sail a straight course for any extended period of time - election and mid-term every two years - thus ensuring that chaos will prevail.

The dollar amount they are talking about is $128 million dollars, roughly on a per capita basis of about $3. Don't expect your bill to change much. This sounds more like public relations to me.

So....Does this also mean that the Porteros salaries will not be increased by 30%? They used the excuse that it was because of energy price increases. Never mind most of them have free accommodations anyway....

John.St said:
There are several reasons for this, which all have the same basis: Mentality aka lack of civismo.

Long time planning in Argentina is impossible, the metronome election (click-clack-click-clack) - as a protest - of representatives from the opposite party - any opposite party - so no government can sail a straight course for any extended period of time - election and mid-term every two years - thus ensuring that chaos will prevail.

That must explain it, other democratic countries don't have elections

Back