The Herald Is Dead! Long Live The Herald!

A few years ago this would have been considered a loss, but since Cristobal Lopez got his dirty hands on it, it became nothing more than loo paper.

It's still a loss. It's pathetic that a city the size and importance of BA now has no English language paper.

Agreed. Such a pity, and another example of how things have disintegrated in BA over the past several years. I'll be returning to Bangkok soon, where they have TWO very good daily papers in English.

Sad news. Such a history and it used to be a must read when I arrived in BA.

Agreed. Such a pity, and another example of how things have disintegrated in BA over the past several years. I'll be returning to Bangkok soon, where they have TWO very good daily papers in English.

There are five English language papers in Tokyo PLUS the WSJ Asia.

There are five English language papers in Tokyo PLUS the WSJ Asia.

Maybe that's because Japanese is spoken only there, whereas Spanish is the second most spoken language in the World. Duh!

It is no secret that in the online newspapers in general are fast becoming becoming a losing proposition - they simply cannot compete in the Internet age. And an English-language one abroad, doubly so.

The point of an English daily normally is to serve two main purposes for the benefit of the local English-speaking population:
  • to serve the local news in English;
  • and to repackage news from back home.
The latter is simply doomed - why would I read US news in a local publication if I can read the original from back home?

And as to the former, Serafina is correct: the "target market" - that wants the local news, and but is insulated from the Spanish-language press - is probably a much smaller market here than in, say, Tokyo. And is amply served by publications like The Bubble or MercoPress.

Not to mention that in both areas, said market - the group of English-speaking nomads here - is probably way more likely to get its news online than both the local population, as well as that in their place of origin.

So regardless of how badly K management screwed it up, the writing was on the wall either way. The patient was in any event ready for hospice care before being killed by the caregiver.

My guess is that the "Argentinisches Tageblatt", a newspaper in German with 120 years of history, will be next.
For the exact same reasons ben mentioned.
I remember reading it online in 2011 in order to understand what was going on here when my spanish was very poor (not to say non existent). But once you live here for a while just for the simple reason of survival its essential to understand spanish. And then you turn to the local media.

Reactions: ben
Maybe that's because Japanese is spoken only there, whereas Spanish is the second most spoken language in the World. Duh!

Thanks for your polite response.

The existence of a large number of English language papers in Tokyo has everything to do with the fact that Tokyo, unlike BA, is an international city with a large number of foreigners doing business there.

Back