The Ideal Life in Baires

jb5

Registered
With so many negative threads running, I thought I'd turn some attention to the possibilities for a great life in Baires.

Those making dollars and Euro seem to still find life a relative bargain.

So if money is not an issue, is Baires a great place to live?

Where and how would you live in the city? What services would you use to make life comfortable and easier? Where would you go for a break from the city weekends?

In my opinion, there are more good things than bad about life in BA. In fact, the good things are so abundant that listing them all here would be impossible.

Why so many expats aren't into the food is beyond me. Sure, to each his own, but damn, what's not to like about an asado? Matambre de cerdo and morcilla are a few things that one would be hard pressed to find in the States--I pine for them when I'm not in BA. Unlike so many locals, I'm not too keen on chorizo (the big, fat, and, in my opinion, super-chewey steak----not churi pan, which I LOVE).

Fernet, while becoming more and more expensive, is still much cheaper than in the States. I suppose it's an aquired taste. Most of my Porteno firends can't believe I like it. Anyway, I guess I've acquired the taste.

Sitting around sharing mate with friends is a great way to pass the time. But be careful, if you drink too much, you will become "green," as the locals say (sick to the stomach, basically).

Public transportation is hell to many, but I think it makes life soooooooooo much easier (unless there is a strike). Getting to know your neighborhood butcher is fun (if he is nice) but, I guess you can do that anywhere.

Weddings. They rock.

I like Accassuso and san Isidro. That is where my in-laws live and where I lived and will move back to. Many people will disagree with me on this because it's too far from the microcenter, but whatever.

These are just a few things I thought of while taking a brain break at work. The list is endless.

Why so many expats aren't into the food is beyond me. Sure, to each his own, but damn, what's not to like about an asado?

Well, some of us are vegetarians ;)

starlucia said:
Well, some of us are vegetarians ;)

You are right, sorry. Vegetarians and people with health reasons aside.

Anyway, it's just my opinion . . . .

It certainly is subjective. So subjective that you can't generalize based on the few expats that actually say things on this site (and, out of the ones that do speak up, even fewer have good things to say).

Anyway, let's not steal this thread and turn it into a food debate. Are there any other good things anyone wants to tell jb5 about?

Lee said:
The variety of food here is so lacking, bland, and generally substandard that I find it amazing that anyone claims otherwise.

Certainly it is a subjective observation but one that has been made time and time again but varied individuals.

This is totally my issue with Argentina. There is very little variety here. When you go to most restaurants the menu always looks like same with the same crap empanadas, ham and cheese sandwich (hey Argentina! there are other sandwiches you can make!), same cardboard cheese pizza).

When I go grocery shopping its a full aisle of nothing but "pure de tomate" but nothing else to put on your pasta. Why do we need 10 meters of the store dedicated to the same exact product? Can someone make a variety of pasta sauces in a jar ready to eat?

If you try to buy furniture every place has the same black leather couch, red bar stool, etc...

The culture is just so homogeneous here. But having said all that the good (everyone here is good looking, crazy nightlife, no rules) does outweigh the bad here (shit food, no variety). But if I could change one thing it would be the bland food and lack of variety and options.

Lee said:
The variety of food here is so lacking, bland, and generally substandard that I find it amazing that anyone claims otherwise.

Certainly it is a subjective observation but one that has been made time and time again by varied individuals.

Sup Lee? What countries cuisine are you using as the "standard" to compare the sub-standard food in Argentina? Just curious.

I love Buenos Aires. Always have, and I always will. I can't put a finger on it, to be honest. There are so many great things, from early morning runs along the Ecological Reserve, to the Friday and Saturday nights when everyone is out enjoying themselves.

I've been in Quito for about a month, and I think I started dreaming of being in Buenos Aires beginning on the third day. Every place has its problems, but Buenos Aires has a lot of life and energy. That in itself is good enough for me... and always will be.

I'm always surprised by the negative food comments. In addition to the ubiquitous great meat there's excellent Italian, good Middle Eastern and Peruvian, very decent Chinese and French.....it's not NYC but neither are the prices.

Back