The Perfect Metaphor

The government has no business subsidizing sports. If soccer can't survive in the marketplace, it deserves to die (though it probably just deserves to die, full stop).
i'd like to humbly point out that it's not 'government subsidizing XXX" but 'governent investing in XXX to attract tourism/ industries/prestige/ awareness of the country on a world map". I believe it's akin to UK 'subsidizing' the royals: sure, they have no business still owning all of Mayfair's rents, expenses etc. But think of UK, and you think of Princess Diana, or Kate etc, not exactly of Tony Blair or 1666... And think of the tourist hordes in London! And each - but each - company looking to establish an office there...

i'd like to humbly point out that it's not 'government subsidizing XXX" but 'governent investing in XXX to attract tourism/ industries/prestige/ awareness of the country on a world map". I believe it's akin to UK 'subsidizing' the royals: sure, they have no business still owning all of Mayfair's rents, expenses etc. But think of UK, and you think of Princess Diana, or Kate etc, not exactly of Tony Blair or 1666... And think of the tourist hordes in London! And each - but each - company looking to establish an office there...

Soccer is even worse than royalty. Both should have to survive on their own merits (or, rather, lack thereof).

Back