The Queen Speaks

I´m not sure if LAN will cancel their service as there are 400 plus Chileans on the Islands who want to regularly fly to Santiago, not Buenos Aires.

a friend in Chile tells me that LAN makes more money taking cargo to the Falklands than people.

i recall that a few years ago they made 60% of their gross profits from cargo

I think she wants the flights as a bargaining chip, more than because she plans to cut them. She may even try to use them to make herself look generous later.

glasgowjohn said:
i recall that a few years ago they made 60% of their gross profits from cargo

how would you recall that exact fact and %... why and for what particular reason... just wondering wtf

Markgeezer said:
how would you recall that exact fact and %... why and for what particular reason... just wondering wtf

LAN probably don't care of CFK bans their passenger flights - they make more cash form cargo - if the LAN flights don't arrive in The Falklands there is no fresh vegetables for example.

They want to keep flying for this reason and also to give the 300-400 Chileans who live there a route to get home now and again.

the falklands-issue and CK`s way of approaching it is the only issue that ALL argies agree on. and she knows it. it`s a national pride, altough a childish pride. and politicians use it for gathering votes. even the opposition agrees on that. they were all cheering about those crazy flights from BsAs although this probably is one of the most ridiculous ideas ever. it sounds good and strong (like: we`re coming back to the Malvinas...this time by planes!!!) but it`s doesn`t bring anything than just more costs paid by the tax-payers.
the falklanders will never use AA, they`ll use LAN because they offer a reliable and good service for years now, they are cheaper and LAN is part of a huge airline alliance connecting destinations all around the world. and AA? this airline is just a joke. Recalde, its boss, is just a milk-faced Campora bitch.

glasgowjohn said:
LAN probably don't care of CFK bans their passenger flights - they make more cash form cargo - if the LAN flights don't arrive in The Falklands there is no fresh vegetables for example.

They want to keep flying for this reason and also to give the 300-400 Chileans who live there a route to get home now and again.

Do you mean the Chileans that run that curry house.... John ?

robinho9 said:
the falklanders will never use AA, they`ll use LAN because they offer a reliable and good service for years now, they are cheaper and LAN is part of a huge airline alliance connecting destinations all around the world.

Some Falklanders/visitors might use AA for a flight from Bs As, because they could connect in EZE with a direct flight from LHR. It would involve a 2 leg flight instead of the current 5-6 leg flight and save at least 8 hours of flight time (my calculation) which would be appealing. Still, I'll believe it if it ever happens.

The UK has played a blinder here by saying any negotiations have to be done with the Falkland Island Government.

They'll finally have to recognise that there are actually people there who control their own future!

Back