The route from perma-tourist to legal.

Dolly said:
Well esllou, it's not easy, but these are your options
1) residency through a work visa (you need a sponsor- very difficult to get)
2) Retirement - don't think you qualify
3) Rentista is when you are not retired but can show that you receive and transfer (US$ 700 or $750 can't remember which) each month from your UK bank a/c to your Arg bank a/c. For this process you need
- your original birth certificate - and apostilled in your home country
- a clean criminal report from your own country - again apostilled in your home country.
- Some documentation from an accountant in your home country showing you have these funds coming in each month. Then notarised.
- Then you get a police report here in Buenos Aires

You submit all this and if they agree you get a residencia temporaria for 1 year. You renew this yearly for 3 years and then you are eligible for a residencia permanente. Then you can apply for a DNI

I hope I haven't missed anything!

You apply for you DNI once your temporary residency has been granted. You don't need to wait for permanent residency to get a DNI. In fact, legally once your residency it accepted you need to go get your DNI.

esllou said:
thanks everyone for your comments so far. I think I'll tell the authorities here that I'm using my savings in the UK, so the tax issue would disappear, would it not?? (that's only half a fib anyway)

seems like I can't do much until I get my birth cert this summer anyway.

Saving by itself isn't going to do it as you could use those saving the next day and not have any money left. You need to have steady income. Look up stevebsas posts. He has described setting up a trust that will "distribute" the required amount of money per month.

elhombresinnombre said:
Erme - well - as Alzinho said, being father or mother to an Argentine child counts too. So does marriage to an Argentine.

Just to add a bit more clarification - marriage-wise, you don't have to be married to an Argentine to qualify. You need to be married to a legal resident (even temporary works). I know because that is the route that I took - I'm married to a Paraguayan who is a legal resident, although still temporary.

mini said:
Saving by itself isn't going to do it as you could use those saving the next day and not have any money left. You need to have steady income. Look up stevebsas posts. He has described setting up a trust that will "distribute" the required amount of money per month.

but if I set up some sort of monthly wiring of money into an account here, I wouldn't be taxed on that, would I??

also, how do I set up an argentine account considering my first post in this thread...I have nothing, no dni, no birth certificate, no job...I'm just a freeloader hopping over to colonia every three months. :D

so, where does "get a bank account" come in the line of things? I've already read on here that getting one is no simple thing.

Esllou - I am going to say something that I am sure Steve (and maybe some others) will shout "no way!" to.

Get a lawyer, if you can afford it. It should not cost you more than $1000 USD (and mine was considerably less) to get through all the way to DNI and they will be able to walk you through all things related to bank accounts, the right papers with the right seals/apostiles, etc, as well as reviewing your dcumentation to make sure you have everything you need - nothing worse than waiting for a few weeks for an appointment and then showing up to be told you are missing something. Then when you come back next time to find you are missing something else - they never review ALL of your paperwork and tell you at one time what you're missing; as soon as the first thing is found you are told to come back and you have to come back for everything that is found, each time.

My lawyer goes to every appointment with me and knows the people behind the counters that he will do the work with. The only thing I ever have to do is sign my ame when everything is taken care of. A lot of things the lawyer can do without my presence as well, ut the aplication for a precaria has to be done in person,though he did all the work while I waited.

Attorney in BA seems to know his stuff very well and I'm sure he could help you as well. There are other attorneys that have been suggested in other threads as well. BTW - I don't know what Attorney in BA charges - I'm going by my experiences and those of friends who have used my lawyer when I mention pricing.

If you don't mind doing everything yourself or can't afford $600-$1000 USD and don't mind possibly a lot of disappointment and aggravation, you can get it done yourself. Steve will tell you the process is simple (and I have no doubt that he had good luck getting it done, himself), but I've seen my wife go through hell for herself and two siblings before we wised up and hired a lawyer to help us.

esllou - I must concur with ElQueso - this sounds like an easy straighforward process - but it's not. I recommend getting a lawyer. I know some people have said it's not worth it (and I just wish I had their knowledge and luck) but I didn't. I did it myself - thought I had everything ok, got denied and served a deportation notice - a shit load of hassle - so i recommend using a lawyer to get it right. I'm happy if others disagree and can give you step by step instructions to get it spot on.
AttorneyinBA posts on here quite a lot. I haven't used him as a lawyer, but I have met him in other circumstances (not a friend, I met by chance once a while ago) and I thought he was knowledgeable, and was certainly helpful and kind to me. (considering I wasn't a client and told him about my plight so he gave me honest, free advice) Pity it was after my debarcle.

For some reason, even though I checked everything out, got all the required papers etc - migraciones always wanted something else, or something changed...or something!!!!! So, just my uneducated humble advice - if you really want residency - get a lawyer and they do all the horrible stuff at migraciones for you (that I did myself, and got abused and treated badly for my migraciones staff when I did it) - and things will go much more smoothly.

Apparently there are a few good lawyers around town for this. AttorneyinBA frequents this site and is always helpful and constructive with his posts. I used another as he was recommended to me, and has been good. And I'm sure there are others. I'm not denegrading others that have posted here and done it themselves - I'm sure it's possible. It didn't work for me - so I recommend getting help for peace of mind. Remember that migraciones is a minefield - one day they're helpful and agreeable - another day they will make your life hell - I know! Good Luck Girl!

US$600-1000....really?

'Kinell, you people live in a different world to me!

esllou said:
but if I set up some sort of monthly wiring of money into an account here, I wouldn't be taxed on that, would I??

also, how do I set up an argentine account considering my first post in this thread...I have nothing, no dni, no birth certificate, no job...I'm just a freeloader hopping over to colonia every three months. :D

so, where does "get a bank account" come in the line of things? I've already read on here that getting one is no simple thing.

I don't know if you will be taxed on that income. I imagine if you put money into a trust it's not "income" per say so my guess would be no. You "may" be taxed on the value of the trust as in "wealth tax" so putting the minimum required (ie. US$750-ish) per month per year.

You will set up the local bank account when you get your residency. You won't need it to apply. Your "trust" can be out of the country. Sorry the user you want to look up is "steveinbsas" (not what I wrote above). He has posts about this exact thing. But you do need to be sure it's "steady income" and not just some money in a saving account.

Dolly said:
I'm not denegrading others that have posted here and done it themselves - I'm sure it's possible. It didn't work for me - so I recommend getting help for peace of mind. Remember that migraciones is a minefield - one day they're helpful and agreeable - another day they will make your life hell - I know! Good Luck Girl!

I wonder if you can tell us what it is that went wrong with your application. You experience might help others as well. Did you get it resolved in the end or are you going to leave us?

yeah, when I finally come to doing this, I might splash the cash and pay someone to do all the hard graft for me. Sounds a bit of a minefield!

Back