The Secrets to Thriving in Argentina.....

Thought it would be interesting if people that live in Argentina and/or have traveled there shared some of their steps on how to thrive once arriving. Things that people likely wouldn't know unless they did a little bit of research about the country.

Can be anything....ways to save money, how to live better, general tips etc.

Couple examples

- Using the blue dolar or Western Union rate can get you close to doubling your money in Argentina
- The importance of making US Dollars or Euros if you are staying in the country long term
- Can save a decent amount of money walking or using public transportation compared to taxis
- How to save money eating food (whether that means eating local or in certain neighborhoods more than others)

What are your secrets to thriving in Argentina?
Use contacts/family members to assist in all tasks. Business and connections are based on who you know - you are likely to get ripped off and abused of you try organise contractors etc without a recommendation.

How would you compare the Primera División to the MLS of the US? What's the best league in South America? Which teams in South America do you currently enjoy watching?
I think the quality of the top teams in Argentina would be better than the best MLS teams but it would be close. Best league is Copa Libertadores which mixes top clubs from South America.

How would you compare the Primera División to the MLS of the US? What's the best league in South America? Which teams in South America do you currently enjoy watching?
I think the MLS has better players, but the Primera League is probably better coached. Any match between clubs from those leagues would be Championship quality and in fact both leagues have much the same problems, regular fumbled passes, players trying skills and tricks for no reason, average ball control, major gaps in quality through a squad, etc.

I enjoy watching Copa Libertadores here, or at least when fans were allowed, because in the latter stages it does have spectacle. Some of the derby matches in Argentina are the same. The Boca vs. River final in Madrid showed that. Hardly one for the purists but undeniably entertaining. For clarification, I used to love heading out on the weekend and watching pub football/sunday league games. It's one of the things I miss the most. I can handle seeing poor play, it's just dissapointing when you see it on a professional level.

You can stay in tourist mode forever if you are loaded and live every day as if it were Sunday.

Have a well stocked house for the times problems arise. Own a generator (Make sure you lock it up when not in use though.)

I'm talking if you hold and are bound to perform a job while in country. My bosses are from the US and don't accept "it's argentina" or "it's complicated" as an excuse for why something didn't happen. The concept is completely foreign to them that a group of unemployed people would go burn tires in the road for a week straight and the police would do nothing about it. At this point its just random groups of randos taking turns blocking all the highways. It's not even organized labor unions.

The police wont do shit about it.

Whats your process on finding a good maid? Struggling to find one for last 12 months
I was lucky. When I rented my apartment, it came with maid service, the one used by the family who owns the building.

This makes me wonder...
With US subscription to Netflix I can come to any supported country (e.g. Argentina or Russia) (or just simulate moving to a country via VPN)
and then with my US subscription I can watch Argentine or Russian selection of films while in this country.

Is it possible to do the same in reverse? Have an Argentine Netflix subscription and watch US selection of films in the US?
I‘ve used my Argentine Netflix in USA and now in Mexico City. Without vpn and without problems. Perhaps Netflix will at some point ask me to reconfirm my CABA address—who knows?

I'm talking if you hold and are bound to perform a job while in country. My bosses are from the US and don't accept "it's argentina" or "it's complicated" as an excuse for why something didn't happen. The concept is completely foreign to them that a group of unemployed people would go burn tires in the road for a week straight and the police would do nothing about it. At this point its just random groups of randos taking turns blocking all the highways. It's not even organized labor unions.

The police wont do shit about it.
I understand exactly what you meant! (I was viewing from a different perspective.)

I think the MLS has better players, but the Primera League is probably better coached. Any match between clubs from those leagues would be Championship quality and in fact both leagues have much the same problems, regular fumbled passes, players trying skills and tricks for no reason, average ball control, major gaps in quality through a squad, etc.

I enjoy watching Copa Libertadores here, or at least when fans were allowed, because in the latter stages it does have spectacle. Some of the derby matches in Argentina are the same. The Boca vs. River final in Madrid showed that. Hardly one for the purists but undeniably entertaining. For clarification, I used to love heading out on the weekend and watching pub football/sunday league games. It's one of the things I miss the most. I can handle seeing poor play, it's just dissapointing when you see it on a professional level.

Thanks that helps. I enjoy sports, but still don't know much about football as you can see.

Why is the primera division generally better coached than MLS if the MLS has more money to spend?

Thanks that helps. I enjoy sports, but still don't know much about football as you can see.

Why is the primera division generally better coached than MLS if the MLS has more money to spend?
I think just because of a more historic relationship with the sport. Looking at it in a simplistic way, the Argentine League is like a school. If young players and coaches are good enough, they will move elsewhere. However, there is generally more tactical knowledge throughout the league. As mentioned, I think Gallardo especially is an elite level manager.

MLS is a graveyard, it is where the good players go to finish their careers. Of course, there are exceptions in both, but that’s the general idea. I find the defensive coaching in the MLS to be particularly poor.

Back