The Secrets to Thriving in Argentina.....

Thankful I'm a huge Futbol fan. To the point that if possible (might need a DNI card which I don't have) I would be interested in becoming a socio (which is a way to buy season tickets for home games).

After months of research my team is River Plate (who play tonight). I'm sure months of listening to commentary, listening to analysis, and watching games will help me get ready for July if things are better by then
If you’re a huge football fan, I guess you are appalled by the quality of the teams and general play here? It’s almost unwatchable for me because it frustrates me so much. I know why it has become such low quality in Argentina and it’s a shame, but damn is the football crap here.

For two months you'll be fine. You'll still be in tourist mode. It's when you have to actually live here and do things like interact with the bank or deal with government departments that it truly starts to suck.

You can survive two months without getting tired of eating beef, wine, empanadas, pizza and pasta every day.

But like I said, if you lower your expectations and don't expect high quality or service with anything you should alright. Hell you can't even count on being able to drive somewhere here because there's probably a group of poor people burning tires in the middle of the highway. This isn't a bother when your adventuring around exploring but when you're trying to work and live a life it becomes very annoying.
You can stay in tourist mode forever if you are loaded and live every day as if it were Sunday.

Have a well stocked house for the times problems arise. Own a generator (Make sure you lock it up when not in use though.)

If you’re a huge football fan, I guess you are appalled by the quality of the teams and general play here? It’s almost unwatchable for me because it frustrates me so much. I know why it has become such low quality in Argentina and it’s a shame, but damn is the football crap here.

Where are you from? If you are talking about the quality in the Argentine Primera Division sure, but River possibly the best team in South America right now. Boca always contenders also.

If you want to find a good maid ... MARRY HER!

She will cook & clean.

But be forewarned, after a while she will lose interest in the job and you will end up with a wife!
Indeed. On the lookout for "ama de casa" . In negotiation with a few!!

Whats your process on finding a good maid? Struggling to find one for last 12 months
Good maids are found through friends and relatives. And they are kept by t, and paying them a little above the going rate, and treating them as friends. My housekeeper has been with me for nineteen years - on our tenth anniversary she received double pay, and on the fifteenth she got a miniature poodle puppy. Personal touches are much appreciated, and make for long relationships.

Where are you from? If you are talking about the quality in the Argentine Primera Division sure, but River possibly the best team in South America right now. Boca always contenders also.
I am from the UK. You’re right, River best in South Am, but the quality across all leagues in the continent I see as poor. Gallardo is a top manager, though. I am comparing to the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, and even Ligue 1, Eredivisie and other “small” European leagues, I am also comparing the continental competition here to the Champions League.

I don’t expect the quality to be high considering even the most average of Argentine player will move to Europe or the US. The league has been left with perhaps the bottom 30% of talent.

I am from the UK. You’re right, River best in South Am, but the quality across all leagues in the continent I see as poor. Gallardo is a top manager, though. I am comparing to the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, and even Ligue 1, Eredivisie and other “small” European leagues, I am also comparing the continental competition here to the Champions League.

I don’t expect the quality to be high considering even the most average of Argentine player will move to Europe or the US. The league has been left with perhaps the bottom 30% of talent.

For sure, definitely not near the "Top 5" leagues in Europe (first 5 you mentioned) but there are exceptions with high level quality like River and Flamengo in Brazil. I'm used to poor league quality, after all my parents are from Scotland :)

I expect the drop off to continue as more player look to leave due to more promising financial situations elsewhere. MLS (USA) has doubled their number of Argentine players in the last four years. Both US and Mexico can be very high wages for players who aren't ready for countries like England, Spain, and Italy. The one plus is it forces Argentine clubs to play younger players that they can later sell to make money

Understandable. What are a couple of those negatives you've experienced?

Patience and understanding that some things won't function as smoothly as they would in more developed countries.

- Someone smells gas in your building and the gas company turns off the gas for 10 months while they investigate. 10 months of cold showers, cooking with electric toaster ovens.
- Internet going down and it taking a while for the company to come fix it.
- Electricity going out often during the summer months.
- If you're a victim of a crime you don't really have any recourse. The police are underfunded, not well trained and corrupt in many cases.
- If electronics break or get stolen it's expensive to replace them here.
- Strikes of all kinds. Streets closed off, parts of public transportation shut down, truckers striking causing supermarket shortages.
- Forget about receiving anything through the mail here from outside the country.
- Customer service of any kind is generally worse.
- Long lines in supermarkets, little variety of products.
- Anything related to money and banking services. You can't just take money out of an atm or use your credit card unless you want your money exchanged at the official rate.

I'm saying this as someone who earns in dollars. I'm fully aware that these things are petty and insignificant compared the problems of 40% of the population that lives in poverty.

Positives

- Generally, I find Buenos Aires to be beautiful. The architecture, streets, parks, women.
- Culture is pretty cool, nightlife, lively energy in the streets, restaurants, bars, music, futbol...hopefully it all bounces back after covid.
- Cost of living in dollars at the moment is very cheap. Eating out at nice restaurants, hiring maids, tutors, fitness instructors, etc is going to be significantly cheaper than the US.
- I like the people here.
- Good weather in my opinion.
- Lots of interesting spots to travel to within Argentina.
- You'll meet people from all over the world.

I'm guessing you'll enjoy your time in BA.

How would you compare the Primera División to the MLS of the US? What's the best league in South America? Which teams in South America do you currently enjoy watching?

Back