The state of the construction industry

Fabe

Registered
Hi Folks.
I wanted to yammer on a bit about my experience here as it pertains to Framing and Dimensional Lumber.

As some of you might know , Im in the process of refurbing a house that I was able to recoup from a group of nasty squatters.

In the states , I worked a bit in the framing industry . Frame up a building , bang in a plywood skin , shingles and you are doing ok .

Just to paint a picture , this has been en eternal nightmare.
Dimensional Lumber ( or houseworthy lumber for that matter)
What I have seen here is that any mook is in the lumber wholesale buiss.
Knowledge of the lumber they sell : ZIPPO !.

Of 20 places I have visited to buy lumber , 19 of them basically have lumber transported from some northern province , they only removal of moisture of that lumber comes from the air passing thru it on the truck on its way to BA.

Most of that lumber is eucaliptus grandis , wich is ok enough , but hey , fellas , if you want to build a structure and not have it warp to hell , lumber neds to be dried.

This processing just doesnt happen in 99% of the places I visited.
Of course , on the fly solutions are quick to come the second you mention it , bt again , I certainly do not want to paint tar on my lumber or any of the hundres of other toxic substances that were suggested by the all knowing folks that peddle lumber.

Some not too horrible things:
In the states , a 2x4 is actually 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches. Not so here . This makes it absolutely impossible to use simson type joist hangers ,if you can find them , as they are dimensioned for the standards used in the states. Here , a 2x4 is actualy 2x4.
ALLL the dimensional lumber I have purchased was in fact in tolerance , but not one piece of wood was in square.
In other words , none of the faces were in right angles to each other.

I DID stumble upon one company , a large one ,Maderera Lavallol.
Here was the only place I have ever found kiln dried lumber , no certification of any kind as in the states , but nice , planed squared lumber.
Why have I not purchased from them ?
Wel .... because of the other reason argentine buissinesses are heading head long into decline. Deplorable customer service.

I was absolutely impressed with their stock , They even had some CCA impregnated pine ( although CCA has been baned in the states for a decade or so based on its toxicity and replaced with a process known as ACQ).

As I said , I visited the showroom , and was impressed. The fella there gave me the appearance of a serios customer oriented company.
I arranged to place an order in the comming week.

Here is where the all too familiar nightmare began ...
As a builder , and because the framing has to be done with the existing brickwork in mind, I first called , then emailed a request for quote consisting of what I needed , and a request for alternatives in the type of lumber. I stated that i was seeking only three parameters to adhere to :
Cost ,minimal variation in the lumber I needed for the rafter , and the best pricing possible.
I stated that ( because they gave the appearance of competence) to suggest alternatives.

2 weeks went by with no reply.
I called the manager whom i had spoken to and asked him to take the RFQ and handle it himself.
He gave me his word he would look at the RFQ and have an answer for me that afternoon . I suggested he read it well , and get back to me by the afternoon of the following day .
Another 2 weeks with ZIPO reply . in thos etwo weeks , I again sent him an email , and i again called the company.

Now , I have taken Dale Carnegie classes and completely use it in my everyday dealings.
Yesterday I again called , I am sad to say that Dale Carnegie was overruled by by frustration and I completely blew a gasket.

This is just one ilustration as to how dificult it is to get anything done. There is some kind of force at work when you set out to do buissiness here . I get this feeling that customer service is inversly proportional to the square of the enthusiasm you demonstate in wanting to do buissiness .
What is it ? what am I doing wrong ? Is it wrong to have an expectation that if some company is in a certain industry sector that they would WANT to sell their product ?
So , a full 3 months after i stated a simple flooring project I am in a state of complete frustration . Im not splitting the atom here , Im talking about a flooring project that in the real world would have taking me all of 2 days , and working alone !.
The toll it has taken on my demeanor is tremendos.
I m kinda happy for one thing , that i can vent it here at least.
Thans for reading

You come from a country where commercial aptitude is commonplace; business and making money is a part of the very culture from childhood on.

You are now in a country where this trait is extremely rare. I really believe it is just that simple.

The concept of customer service is virtually unknown in Argentina. Just as Perry states that 99% of Portenos believe that anyone being positive and courteous is a Boludo, that same percentage seems to go out of their way to show their disdain for the mere idea of displaying any form of customer service.

A shabby city full of shabby attitudes and awash in shabby behavior.

Hi , Im addressing all who replied.
I was born here , but i was raised in NY. I saw a completely different culture when i came here on buissiness in 94.
i CANNOT be the way you describe it . That would imply that there is no hope for this place. I feel exactly the same way you wrote about the boludos , but I think I tend to put my fingers in my ears and hum "feellings" because if that is the reality , then god help us all.
Another thing , I dont care where in this fing world one is , Buissiness is an international language . You go into bussiness to SELL , to make money , . All these bahaviors i see and witness point to the opposite of wanting to make money ! Its fing horrible !!!!!
i think the qualifier I would use is Flakey as opposed to shabby

Fabe said:
i CANNOT be the way you describe it .

I can't either. It's not in my nature.

Anyway, I have a construction question: Do they actually use lumber to build here? I though everything was build with brick and concrete.

Wow.

Where I live if you have a (construction) problem everyone goes out of their way to help.

And being a foreigner doesn't mean paying more.

One of the arguments I always had about BA is that it just didn't seem like anyone was interested in making money. It's like they just don't care at all, which is hard for me to fathom coming from the capitalismo pais of the US of A. Every now and then you'd run into someone that was a hustler, but those folks were very few and far between.

And it might be viewed as boludo for trying to be a gentleman about business, but who wants to consistently have to scream, kick, and complain about every business transaction in order to get things done? It makes it impossible to do business, not to mention it's just drainingggggg. I wish the best of luck to the OP, but I'm not too sure how much better it's going to get.

I have not found that yelling and being theatrical is needed. I have gotten everything I need in Argentina by being nice, and actually understanding what I want. Often, sure, I need to explain it to the store or supplier- but I have to do that all the time in the USA, too.

Instead, what I think the problem is is different- you are used to working with a certain construction system- what we call balloon framing in my part of the USA. In the USA, the infrastructure exists to manufacture the components- milled, dried, graded lumber in a variety of compatible sizes, hangers and hardware, insulation to fit, wiring accessories designed for it, a variety of interior and exterior sheet goods made to attach, and on down the line.

None of that is commonly used in Argentina. Nobody stocks any of it, nobody builds with it, and nobody knows anything about it.

Instead, almost everything here is done with stone, brick, cement, and plaster. The construction supply places here all stock all the components of those systems, the tools to work with em, and all the tradesmen know how to do it.

Part of that is history, part is tradition, part is climate, and, I would guess, part is pests and other local conditions that make wood a crummy choice for framing- mold, rot, bugs, and so on.

My apartment has wood used in some window frames, although most are steel, and for doors and some trim. But nothing structural in wood in my entire building, or, frankly, in almost any of the 10,000 or so buildings within a couple of miles of my place.

Sure, you can attempt to use US techniques and materials here- just be aware you are practically the only one doing so, and so will pay one-off prices, and have to reinvent the wheel ten times a day.

Or, you can just use the stuff the locals do- hollow red tile blocks, mortar, and parge coats of plaster over the top. Its actually cheaper and quicker, assuming you know what you are doing. Wiring is a bit funky, as its usually just plastered into grooves chiselled into the plaster- but it works, and has worked, for 100 years or so.

Just as there are specific construction techniques in Asia, or Europe, or even in different parts of the USA, there are techniques you can do cheaply and easily here, with available supplies, and others which are practically impossible.

I do all my wiring in my shops and farm buildings in the USA in surface mount EMT, for example- and I think it is far better than the alternatives. But it would be insanity to insist on that here- it would cost a fortune, and be basically unrepairable by anybody but me, with parts hand carried in from the US.

Ken Kesey once quoted an old Japanese proverb- Dont push the river- it flows.

steveinbsas said:
Wow.

Where I live if you have a (construction) problem everyone goes out of their way to help.

And being a foreigner doesn't mean paying more.

Prey tell , where do you live ?
Im not looking for people to run and help me , Im asking that those in the industry be not so friggen arrogant and incompetent and mediocre , . Mediocrity should be the main export item here

mini said:
I can't either. It's not in my nature.

Anyway, I have a construction question: Do they actually use lumber to build here? I though everything was build with brick and concrete.

To answer your question, and by doing so open yet another can of worms (ha !)

For the most part , its bricks and masonry.
You can tell that here also , by the ammount of buildings litteraly crumbling its that that industry also is approached in the most precarios manner. It adds to the danger that there are just about ZERO building codes , and those that do exis , are easily bribed away .

There is also something of a bizzare interpretation of a framing industry .
i had the chance to peruse some of these prefab houses that are in the market.
This is what ihave gathered about that industry . Again , another example of something that probably started like a sound idea that greed and argentine "wisdom" got the better of .

The designes show that they have their origins in 1940s 1950s industrialized housing.
Somewhere along the way , some bozo ( or genius depending if your point of view is argentina ) decided that they could make a larger profit by replacing all the 2x4 studs by 1x2 studs . all the walls are basically lined with tar paper wich makes for an incredible fire and toxic hazzard risk.

I took a close look at some of these units and can estimate hat the cost in wood to the builder is no more than 500 pesos MAX , plus or minus 20 pesos depending if their supplier is a cartonero.
Headers above doors and windows are absolutely not even there.
The only lumber I saw that had any mass whatsoever was a rafter that joined 2 parts of the house , and it dient even span the length , it spanned less then one third the length and was hammered right there , with the short end just jutting out above the ceiling line.

As far as brickwork goes , I searched google books and found an inmense ammount of resources regarding brickwork , most of it published around the turn of the 19th centrury wich is from when my house dates from .
It was invaluable the knowledge gleened from those old publications.

Soon I will have to replace a parapet gutter ( nightmare gutter actually on the INSIDE of the house) its no wonder they didnt survive to this century .
Point is , construction is where it is today because there is no driving force to excell , either from competition or from building codes. Ever take a gleen at the scaffolding ? Made out of friggen tree BRANCHES for criing out loud !

Back