The Swinedogs Of Banelco...

Emmatt

Registered
A question for any finance gurus out there. . . .

Without a local bank account, I took up a Norwegian Credit Card offer due to 'Free cash withdrawals abroad' - to circumvent the fee for normal visa debit card withdrawals.
It's worked a charm in multi european locations. But here Banelco charge me around 38 pesos for each withdrawal.
Since I will be here a number (up to 6 months), it's crippling me!

Do Banelco operate all ATM machines in BsAs or are there alternatives?

Thanks in advance for any advice

nope, there are like 3 of 4. link is another one. but im pretty sure they charge the fees the same. i could be wrong though.

if you are withdrawing money out of atm´s in BA instead of going to Uruguay to do the same, you are giving away about 45% of your money´s value. The atm fee should be the smallest of your concerns.

Are you seriously suggesting that's what the enlightened do here? 'Pop' to Uruguay every time you need some cash?

Who uses ATM 's these days....? for cash withdrawals ? :confused:

Any advice Rich One?

I mean, logistically, what are the options here?

Are you seriously suggesting that's what the enlightened do here? 'Pop' to Uruguay every time you need some cash?

Any advice Rich One?

you can try xoom. you can send yourself money almost at the blue rate. its not the best rate but much better than the bank rate.

Any advice Rich One?

Yes, you plan ahead, make the trip and take for a few months. 50% is a huge difference. If you don´t mind getting 50% less, why would you care about 38 pesos - aka 3.8usd - You make a nice trip, you get 50% more out of your money, it is a win win situation. Or you find an expat friend to send your money to abroad and he gives you pesos at the blue rate here.

you can try xoom. you can send yourself money almost at the blue rate. its not the best rate but much better than the bank rate.
Thanks Frank, I was actually just reading a little about xoom.

Otherwise it's a case of a USD run? ie. head to Colonia, withdraw a shedload of dollars, change to pesos?
If so, best to change to Argie pesos in Uruguay or Argie?

if you do the colonia run, id suggest bringing the dollars back with you and changing them on an as needed basis. you never know when the peso can drop more. Nikad also mentioned another option, find an expat whom you can wire dollars to and have them give you pesos here at the blue rate, prefferably someone who owns a business and has alot of pesos on hand.

Back