The US Suspends Trade Benefits for Argentins for 60 Days

In 60 days time.
Just when you think things couldn't get much worse regarding international trade......................
I initially thought this may have something to do with Arg import restrictions, but no, it appears to be a long running dispute that should or could have been solved long ago, if I'm not mistaken.
Especially when this country needs the $$$ and exporters need the business.

Yes, as gringoboy pointed out, they're not getting suspended for 60 days. In 60 days, Argentina will be dropped from the program until such time as they pay the monies owed (jajajajajajajajajjajaja) and at that point, they would be reconsidered.

So basically - they're getting dropped forever b/c you have a better chance of seeing CFK give up her Louboutins and stop referencing "EL" than you do of seeing this gov't pay their debts.

Methinks this was the subject that Obama discussed with CFK when they met several months ago - the meeting he requested.

And not to mention the hand of Cameron in all this during his recent visit to Washington.

I wish major world powers would consult with expats before making such decisions. It could make life unpleasant on a day to day basis. But something tells me they won't.

First time a country has been suspended from the GPS program for this reason.
And look at the two companies involved in the decade long arrbitration dispute.
Hmmm....and it is an election year in the states, isn't it?
Call me a skeptic that it is coming up only now.

slater said:
First time a country has been suspended from the GPS program for this reason.
And look at the two companies involved in the decade long arrbitration dispute.
Hmmm....and it is an election year in the states, isn't it?
Call me a skeptic that it is coming up only now.
It's not coming up "just now" it has been simmering in the diplomatic arena for a long time and the moron Timmerman AKA the queens clown won't/can't address the issue with anything other than BS and foot shuffling. Argentina has a long history of not paying debts while simultaneously requesting every international trade benefit. Trade is a 2 sided arrangement. Unless you trade with Argentina......just ask Brazil.

Ghost is correct, this particular issue has been around for a while, as part of a US congressional trade committee for at least a year, possibly longer.

Last thing I checked Argentina had a trading deficit of some 1 billion USD per year with the US. Let's see if this measure somehow affects Argentina, if it all.

Back