State Dept. Suspends Overseas Passport, Visa Issuance

If you cant trust the Washington Times, who can you trust?
Sun Myung Moon trusted it enough to sink 1.7 Billion dollars into it, all down the drain- its never made a profit, and its news is always true, eh?

minor computer problem, will probably be back online in a week or so.

If you cant trust the Washington Times, who can you trust?
Sun Myung Moon trusted it enough to sink 1.7 Billion dollars into it, all down the drain- its never made a profit, and its news is always true, eh?

minor computer problem, will probably be back online in a week or so.

The Washington Times is what lets Murdoch News claim to be "fair and balanced."

Ok- realistically, how long do you think this will be a problem?
My basic suspicion is that the US government will fix this computer problem within a week or two at most.

Personally, I am much more concerned at the ridiculous attitude the visa interviewers have, which is designed to keep darkskinned people, non-christians, and poor people from getting visas.
My dad actually worked in the Foreign Service in the early 60's, doing visa interviews, and he quit because of the way the program is run, and how discriminatory it is.
As an american citizen, I am ashamed.
I have Argentine friends who have been declined visas due to not looking white enough.
The computer will be back up online soon, and visa issuance will restart.
But the people they decline visas to, after having paid their $165, will still be screwed.

I don't know how much race enters into the situation, but I have to agree with you, Ries, that I am quite disgusted with our immigration policies and the manner in which review takes place. I think too many people both in and out of politics think the US is some kind of place that must be defended against those who would overwhelm it in one way or another, that they have lost sight of the most important thing of all - isolating yourself from immigrants turns your view inward.

My wife has tried three times to get a visa to the States so we can go visit my folks together. They are in their late 70s and have never met my wife. They are too old to travel down here for a couple of reasons. My wife and I have been married for 8 years and we have been supporting her sisters as mother and father for 6 years, with all the proof one could ask that we have serious ties here that would prevent her from staying in the States illegally when we go. But it's never good enough for that bureaucratic stone wall.

My father wrote a letter and provided medical statements from doctors noting why they couldn't leave to come visit us here. There is no compassion. There is no leeway in the process. There is only this "zero-tolerance", don't let anyone make a decision, bulls__t that impacts so many American lives (and I have other stories related to that as well).

I was with her the last time she went and I got so upset (the woman behind the glass was rude and my wife really, really wants to go see my folks, as well as the US, and the idiot just shattered her dreams with no finesse...she walked away from the window crying) that I refused to leave the building until I talked with someone to find out why I, as a US citizen, married to someone who is not a US citizen, who has an honest personal reason to try to visit the States with my wife in a capacity aside from actual immigration (which we don't want to do now) could not have some impact on the process. Amongst the various reasons (she's too young, she's an immigrant from another poor country [she's been in Argentina with permanent residency for ten freaking years!], she's married to an American [yeah, them knowing that is actually against her favor]), the biggest load of crap was that the decision actually gets made in some office in Arizona!!!! Well before the interview process is actually carried out.

And of course, while the local interviewer has the right to make his or her own decision, it never happens because the US government gives its people no leeway to do their job, in reality. Who's.going to buck the accepted system even when regulations state otherwise?

Sorry about the rant, but this is a very sore point with me.

As far as the software that is preventing them from printing out more visas or passports, I'm sure it will be fixed in short time and the US consular departments can go on doing non-reviews and passing the buck passed on from from Arizona very soon. Heh.

I don't know how much race enters into the situation, but I have to agree with you, Ries, that I am quite disgusted with our immigration policies and the manner in which review takes place. I think too many people both in and out of politics think the US is some kind of place that must be defended against those who would overwhelm it in one way or another, that they have lost sight of the most important thing of all - isolating yourself from immigrants turns your view inward.

My wife has tried three times to get a visa to the States so we can go visit my folks together. They are in their late 70s and have never met my wife. They are too old to travel down here for a couple of reasons. My wife and I have been married for 8 years and we have been supporting her sisters as mother and father for 6 years, with all the proof one could ask that we have serious ties here that would prevent her from staying in the States illegally when we go. But it's never good enough for that bureaucratic stone wall.

My father wrote a letter and provided medical statements from doctors noting why they couldn't leave to come visit us here. There is no compassion. There is no leeway in the process. There is only this "zero-tolerance", don't let anyone make a decision, bulls__t that impacts so many American lives (and I have other stories related to that as well).

I was with her the last time she went and I got so upset (the woman behind the glass was rude and my wife really, really wants to go see my folks, as well as the US, and the idiot just shattered her dreams with no finesse...she walked away from the window crying) that I refused to leave the building until I talked with someone to find out why I, as a US citizen, married to someone who is not a US citizen, who has an honest personal reason to try to visit the States with my wife in a capacity aside from actual immigration (which we don't want to do now) could not have some impact on the process. Amongst the various reasons (she's too young, she's an immigrant from another poor country [she's been in Argentina with permanent residency for ten freaking years!], she's married to an American [yeah, them knowing that is actually against her favor]), the biggest load of crap was that the decision actually gets made in some office in Arizona!!!! Well before the interview process is actually carried out.

And of course, while the local interviewer has the right to make his or her own decision, it never happens because the US government gives its people no leeway to do their job, in reality. Who's.going to buck the accepted system even when regulations state otherwise?

Sorry about the rant, but this is a very sore point with me.

As far as the software that is preventing them from printing out more visas or passports, I'm sure it will be fixed in short time and the US consular departments can go on doing non-reviews and passing the buck passed on from from Arizona very soon. Heh.

I agree that the US visa process is preposterously complex - I believe in open borders - but, the last time I looked Arizona (as odious as its anti-immigrant measures may be) did not exercise any veto power over US immigration.

Being from Congo, I had to take visa to almost any place I had to travel to. So have lot of experience with visa applications.

Personally, I feel US visa system is most honest, most practical and most efficient as compared to to visa application system of other countries.

I applaud them, for running, one of the best visa systems on the planet.

I agree that the US visa process is preposterously complex - I believe in open borders - but, the last time I looked Arizona (as odious as its anti-immigrant measures may be) did not exercise any veto power over US immigration.

Yeah, from what I understand it's simply where the processing (and decision making over individual applications) takes place. I'm sure it's run from a federal facility, heh.

El Queso - that's a terrible story and I'm sorry your wife can't get a visa.

Argentines have an acceptance rate of 98% for visas to the US so by and large, it seems that it isn't hard to get accepted here for a tourist visa. It's been super easy the times Martin has done it thankfully. And at no time did they ask about his religious affiliation. Or proof of income.

(I'm a big proponent of a more open system for what its worth though).

Back