The vicepresident's murder attempt

I hadn't seen this particular angle until now.

My first thought: What is a normal reaction when someone shoves a pistol in your face? Do you recoil in horror, looking at your assailant, maybe throw your arm up in a defensive posture, or do you look at the ground as if you've dropped something? Just sayin'.
Or this is how she has been trained to behave in a threatening a situation. Become small, cover her head and follow her bodyguard as they take her out of there.

How does such a sudden feriado work in practice? Are all businesses closed today?

Or this is how she has been trained to behave in a threatening a situation. Become small, cover her head and follow her bodyguard as they take her out of there.
This seems plausible, and refreshingly free of the conspiracy theories already being bandied about here. Though my impression, after seeing the various videos, was that Cristina had no idea what was happening, she seems to wave something away (maybe compressed air) and just act confused.

At least the comments here haven't descended to the level of the followers of miserable pamphlets like Clarin (sample comment regarding the gunman: "tenia una sola tarea"). But the conspiracy theories and distractions are enough. Given that Cristina wanted to meet her supporters, more police wouldn't help, nor barriers, only close protection bodyguards (who were certainly not awake to the possibility of something like this happening). And in at least one of the videos you can hear shouts of "Matálo", so, yes, the gunman was in some danger of being lynched.

This seems plausible, and refreshingly free of the conspiracy theories already being bandied about here. Though my impression, after seeing the various videos, was that Cristina had no idea what was happening, she seems to wave something away (maybe compressed air) and just act confused.

At least the comments here haven't descended to the level of the followers of miserable pamphlets like Clarin (sample comment regarding the gunman: "tenia una sola tarea"). But the conspiracy theories and distractions are enough. Given that Cristina wanted to meet her supporters, more police wouldn't help, nor barriers, only close protection bodyguards (who were certainly not awake to the possibility of something like this happening). And in at least one of the videos you can hear shouts of "Matálo", so, yes, the gunman was in some danger of being lynched.
Yes, watching from the USA, it's not shocking that a disorganized nut owned a gun that didn't work properly, or had old ammunition, or he forgot to load the first bullet correctly, etc. We had a guy try to attack the FBI headquarters with a nailgun a few weeks back, after he saw YouTube videos saying they pierced bullet-proof glass. We've had a few people ramming barricades in front of the Capitol in cars, for no certain purpose. We had a famous crowd that used flagpoles and hockey sticks to try to overthrow the electoral count in Congress.

It's not like these people have tremendous expertise and well-tested plans; they're kooks.

It's amazing to me that the police let crowds get so close to the VP without screening them for weapons. That will probably change.

In my view, it was staged to make her look like a victim. She must feel cornered, to resort to such an obvious trick.
Also odd that her bodyguards had little to no reaction and afterwards did not seem to show a coordinated response. All except one or two of them having been on the other side of the street and one walking away from her to go behind the car in the seconds before the firearm appeared and took 4-5 seconds to even react by running toward her.

Assuming she wasn’t expecting this, which I personally suspect was the case regardless of why this happened, I don’t think she actually registered what was going on other than some kind of commotion that caused her to drop someone’s book that she was more focused on retrieving than cowering from a gun. That would be a pretty natural reaction since it’s not every day someone points a gun (and in her case not a microphone or camera) in your face.

Now just imagine the level of outrage if that security detail were “controlled” by the opposition, but since they are “federal” it’s all good…very easy to imagine given how much s*** they have given out to the city police force in recent days for simply putting barriers around her house to keep crowds like this at a safer distance and minimize the chances of something like this happening.

In the investigation underway it will be interesting to know:
- where the criminal got the gun from
- who he had been talking to before this, did someone put the idea into his head or he simply acted alone
- who from the federal security detail was giving orders that night
- why the apparent intel of death threats in the days prior were ignored by the federal security forces or security measures were not increased

Last edited:
Yes, watching from the USA, it's not shocking that a disorganized nut owned a gun that didn't work properly, or had old ammunition, or he forgot to load the first bullet correctly, etc. We had a guy try to attack the FBI headquarters with a nailgun a few weeks back, after he saw YouTube videos saying they pierced bullet-proof glass. We've had a few people ramming barricades in front of the Capitol in cars, for no certain purpose. We had a famous crowd that used flagpoles and hockey sticks to try to overthrow the electoral count in Congress.

It's not like these people have tremendous expertise and well-tested plans; they're kooks.

It's amazing to me that the police let crowds get so close to the VP without screening them for weapons. That will probably change.

around here nobody really understands the concept of "personal space". it's not in the DNA

I don't think she registered what happened at first. Just a crazy guy who had nothing to lose, wanted to make a name for himself. Even though he's Brazilian he's been in the country since he was 7.

The government is inept at everything here, and people expect that they are perfect at security?

This plays to her favor now. She has sympathy from everyone, will point to the trial as a reason for the attempt.

The next couple of months are going to be dark. Ramped up political tensions, economy in shambles, reserves down to the last couple of billion.

I don't think she registered what happened at first. Just a crazy guy who had nothing to lose, wanted to make a name for himself. Even though he's Brazilian he's been in the country since he was 7.

The government is inept at everything here, and people expect that they are perfect at security?

This plays to her favor now. She has sympathy from everyone, will point to the trial as a reason for the attempt.

The next couple of months are going to be dark. Ramped up political tensions, economy in shambles, reserves down to the last couple of billion.
Several coworkers during independent meetings today considered it unlucky the gun didnt work so I wouldn't say she's going to get sympathy from everyone.

But I do agree with you that this was a perfect scenario for her and her other political problems.

Regardless what happens elections are a year from now. People will be back to their day to day struggles
Several coworkers during independent meetings today considered it unlucky the gun didnt work so I wouldn't say she's going to get sympathy from everyone.

But I do agree with you that this was a perfect scenario for her and her other political problems.
The gun worked just fine. It's a semi so you must pull the safety first before you pull the trigger. It's a rookie "mistake" without pulling the safety it will never fire. So she was never in real harm.

Back