Theater In Buenos Aires

Karla

Registered
Hello! B)

We are three girls who newly moved to Buenos Aires. All three of us have an eduacation in dramaturgy from Denmark. We are interested in getting to know the theater scene in Buenos Aires, and would like to know if there exists an independent theatre network in the city? A web page, meeting place, festival for upcoming theater e.c.t.?

We’re also planning to see a variety of theater shows during our stay in Buenos Aires. Everything from childrens theater to dance. Would someone like to join us?

Saludos,
Ditte, Karla and Sunniva :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

A good place to get discounted theatre tickets is by the Obelisco, on the diagonal north from Corrientes, a blue stand very visible from the Obelisco. To get what you want though, you better be there by 10 am. Not sure about an official platform... the theatre folks I know meet in pubs or at home, and I don't know that many.

Not sure how effective your Spanish is? If good, check out the local classics: El loco y la camisa, La omision de la familia Coleman, Rats (casi un musical) etc... If you think you might be struggling with local version of Spanish (and yes, they do use slang a lot), another iconic thing to not miss in BA is Fuerza Bruta (no speech) :)

There's plenty of independent theatre scene in BA, allegedly it is the city with most theatres in the world, although I'm not sure how they count it. There's theatres everywhere, especially around Corrientes, Abasto or San Telmo.

There are many options. Alternativa teatral is a blog. The main newspapers offer a suplemento cultural, with a list of teathers in town. You can go to the teather almost everyday, for the price of a ticket to the movies or less (like $70 argentinos)

Teatro General San Martin is a complex, it has a popular day (tuesday or wednesday) with cheaper prices. The county offers a good schedule, search "agenda cultural de la ciudad de buenos aires". At the end of september and first days of october an international festival of teather is taking place here: FIBA. Try to buy tickets in advance when possible.

http://www.alternativateatral.com/ is the source for independent theater in Buenos Aires.

Back