There we go again

Nobody should take land (or any other wealth) from living people.
What we need to do is to take land and wealth from dead people, instead of passing that wealth to their children.
Because children have no right to wealth of their parents.
All children should start at the same base level regardless of in which family they were born.
i hope this is sarcasm because if not it's one of the dumbest things I've ever read

Ventanilla, you should take into consideration what lamarque wrote, he knows what he's talking about.

Land reform isn't as black and white as you describe. Has it worked in some countries - yes, but it has mostly failed, especially in Latin America. The problem is that many times productivity decreases.

The Ks who aren't allies of the big land owners know that this is the case. How do we know that? They have never seriously proposed land reform. A good portion of their economic model involves taxing agricultural exports. If land reform would make it more productive, they would do it second. They are not stupid enough to kill their golden goose and receive less dollars in taxes. As Iamarque said their policies have actually encouraged the concentration of land into fewer and fewer hands. The increased taxes lower profit margin, driving small farmers out and you are only left with mega farms that have an economy of scale and can afford to make a smaller margin due to their volume.

I do like the idea of cooperatives and I do buy from them whenever possible. I do it despite the price and inconvenience, because I rather give my money to an organization where the workers are better compensated, rather than a large corporation. Their prices are usually higher, they don't have good distribution, they are less efficient and don't pay all the required taxes. It's not a model for the entire economy.

There's not even a need for land reform, this country is empty,if you are so keen on owning land just contact provinces that still offer land in ''comodato'', of course you would have to have a plan in place to develop such open spaces and show intentions to better the local economy by producing something useful ....... but i suppose that's too much work

I wonder how the percentages of land ownership here compares to other countries'.

In the UK, for example, 1% owns over 50% of the land. That's after centuries of feudalism whereby power and ownership was distilled into fewer and fewer hands through force, violence and other forms of illigitimate coercion. This of course has then later been compounded post feudal times through capitalism's economic teleology.

I'm not saying I have a solution to this, far from it, but I also don't think it's fair to pretend all is just fine and dandy with the current realities in the distribution and concentration of power when it comes to land ownership.

(Now I guess all the trolls will start calling me pro venzuela and zimbabue, and than I'm advocating for communism, *sighs*)

Cheers!

Perry,

You just don't understand what the democracy is.

If democratically elected Congress rules to expropriate land from current rightful owners and give it to some farmers, this would be the democracy in action, unfortunately.

But then again you have democracy and democracy. In a liberal democracy, the right of the individual and his capital is respected in the constitution and in society. Killing a burglar or thief could be an act of self defense.

Argentina is not a liberal democracy despite its constitution, but a populistic one. In Argentina, a thief is a victim and the rich guy is the criminal. If a thief wants to be rich, he has to become a politician.

Being clever here means making the thiefs believe they can steal from others and you as a politician will help with that. Being stupid here means supporting these politicians, not understanding they only steal for themselves and keep you poor so you keep believing you need them.

This country is choto and until Argentina does not understand that wealth is not to be stolen, but to be made, the economy will get worse and worse, with an ocasional dead cat bounce, until everyone dies.

But then again you have democracy and democracy. In a liberal democracy,...

Adjectives modify meaning of a noun. You are describing liberalism, not democracy.

If you wanted to say that it is democratic but not liberal, then I absolutely agree with you.

Saying it is not democratic, because it is not "liberally democratic" makes about as much sense as saying it is not a car because it is not a "red car".

Land reform is not my proposal, it's been a core demand of Latin American peasant movements for centuries. Almost every LATAM country has had some degree of land reform already and the vast majority was instituted by liberal (ie: not 'TANTAMOUNT TO COMMUNISM') governments. I don't get what it is with calling literally everything you don't understand communism.

The idea that huge swathes land shouldn't be concentrated in the hands of people who've had it in their family for 200 years, who dump their produce into the gutter in the middle of a hunger crisis rather than pay slightly more tax, is about the least radical thing ever. All I can think is that you're against it because you're worried it would slightly raise prices for your expat lifestyle.

Are you an Expat or do you just come on this site to troll Expats? I saw the video where they were pouring out milk but it doesn't explain why they did it. That milk could have been contaminated. Is there proof they did it on purpose? In the USA we had to do the same thing due to chemical contamination.

I saw the video where they were pouring out milk but it doesn't explain why they did it. That milk could have been contaminated. Is there proof they did it on purpose?

I have not seen the video, but it is a common practice to destroy overproduction of food, farmers do it regularly in Europe.

The reason is the inelasticity of the demand for food. If food prices fall, people will not start eating much more, they just eat what they need. The demand for food is more or less constant, regardless of price. If more food is offered than is needed, farmers may be willing to reduce the price of their food to 0 to get rid of it, because food perishes and if they do not get rid of it, it becomes worthless anyway.

Farmers do not want to compete each other to dead, so usually there are agreements that if there is overproduction, everyone collectively destroys part of his production, so they can keep their profit margin.

There's not even a need for land reform, this country is empty,if you are so keen on owning land just contact provinces that still offer land in ''comodato'', of course you would have to have a plan in place to develop such open spaces and show intentions to better the local economy by producing something useful ....... but i suppose that's too much work

Oh no nono no no no..... Mr. Venazunilla and his likes want your developed land you know the land you busted your backside on for 4 generations that is now producing and making money. That's the land they want to redistribute. Not any land they would have to work to make it produce somthing even if that land is free.

You see we are the reason he and his pals have not succeeded in life. So the easy path is to steal what others have built. Never build success yourself steal the success of others and call it justice in the name of redistribution. I am translating for Mr.. Venezunilla.

Back