There we go again

Land reform is not my proposal, it's been a core demand of Latin American peasant movements for centuries. Almost every LATAM country has had some degree of land reform already and the vast majority was instituted by liberal (ie: not 'TANTAMOUNT TO COMMUNISM') governments. I don't get what it is with calling literally everything you don't understand communism.

The idea that huge swathes land shouldn't be concentrated in the hands of people who've had it in their family for 200 years, who dump their produce into the gutter in the middle of a hunger crisis rather than pay slightly more tax, is about the least radical thing ever. All I can think is that you're against it because you're worried it would slightly raise prices for your expat lifestyle.

Ventanilla put your energy in Venezuela a country where over 50 people die per day for lack of medicines and starvation and then you can have the moral superiority on this forum .

Making snide remarks to all the expats on this forum about their priveledged lifestyle shows your real intentions . By the way most expats are in Argentina because they are in a committed relationship with another from Argentina . I hardly see them rolling around in riches and most get by on the minimum .

Ventanilla what about all the politicians in Argentina that are billionaires and multi millionaires for honest accounting you should mention them as they have caused tremendous social suffering in Argentina . Have they really worked for the people or just threw a few crumbs while they controlled all the big business and took all the money out of Argentina

Landowners in Argentina are not the problem for the shit this country is in . The last government of Macri illegally borrowed over 100 billion dollars without any accounting leaving a huge debt for the country for many generations .

Last edited:
Yes i agree, we should take the land from the legal owners by force and give it to villeros since every one knows every one wants to be a farmer if they were not busy being villeros lol
Now, seriously, most people that talk about land re distribution never ever spent a day out in the pampas much less actually getting involved in farming or ranching, you know, where you actually have to sweat and put some physical work into it.

The last government of Macri illegally borrowed over 100 billion dollars without any accounting leaving a huge debt for the country for many generations .

Yeah, the IMF people just stopped by and said: "Macri, let's do something illegal and without any accounting!".

Yeah, the IMF people just stopped by and said: "Macri, let's do something illegal and without any accounting!".

The IMF has rules for their loans and Macri broke all of them . One is not to use this money to defend the local currency and guess what he pillfered nearly all the loan on this crazy speculation .

Which countries? I'm only familiar with Peru, where a friend's long-standing citrus orchards were seized by the workers. They didn't know how to take care of the trees' health, so in two years they were dead and ended up as firewood.

No landowner, no trees, no jobs, either. Great idea.....!

In Zimbabwe land seizures have led to STARVATION.

On the issue of export tariffs. This was predicted by anyone watching. In fact, even I predicted this multiple times over the past year on this very board as something everyone should expect, down to the percentage. I'm surprised that the beef tariff is under 10%, but hopefully this augers well - it's possible that Fernandez learned the lesson of last time, when the tariffs on beef were so high that the ranchmen were facing losses, took action and, consequently, the number of cattle head dropped by half over just a few years, causing beef shortages and spiking the prices, thereby undoing the work of the export tariff to cut prices, and causing all sorts of other problems (shrunken supply chain, shrunken secondary markets, loss of expertise, etc). I don't think anyone is under any illusion that the government won't raise the tariff again, but it's heartening to see that the government is taking a 'go slow' approach this time around, hopefully they're sensitive to supply side issues.

Next up, we can expect export tariffs increases on dairy, butter, etc. Remember that this is meant to reduce Argentine exports and push supply onto the domestic market, which would have a deflationary effect on price. Price sensitive industries (wine, olives, olive oil, nuts, etc) are holding their breath - in olives, for instance, Macri's "emergency" export tax was 8% on olive oil and 11% on table olives, which is already brutally high for this industry, and is helping to contract it despite a coming record harvest. The olive industry was hoping to see these tariffs removed, but clearly now they're just hoping that it doesn't get worse. Very dark.

As with beef, they'll have to be careful, as they'll get their price cuts in the short term, but in the longer term they'll get significant production cuts unless we see some form of subsidy or rebalancing (or supply management system).

Now, back to agrarian reform. Yeah, it hasn't worked very well anywhere it has been tried, there's good data on that. More importantly, with how colossally desperate the situation is in Argentina, it makes sense for the government to try to push down food prices, and I guess to massively tax cash crops - tariffs are one of the few easily collectible taxes. In this context, a calamitous agrarian land redistribution campaign makes even less sense, as you'd be engineering a decrease in both food production and tax receipts, at precisely the time when the country is least able to absorb those hits.

Yes i agree, we should take the land from the legal owners by force and give it to villeros since every one knows every one wants to be a farmer if they were not busy being villeros lol
Now, seriously, most people that talk about land re distribution never ever spent a day out in the pampas much less actually getting involved in farming or ranching, you know, where you actually have to sweat and put some physical work into it.

LOL can you imagine? Agricultural production would drop by 90% as they ran back to the villas to get back on their social plans. Some people it seems, think they understand why people are poor and think the productive part of the population is to blame and should be penalized. Such individuals set the high mark of having no understanding of culture and society while they delude themselves drunk on the wine of the Dunning - Kruger effect bodega.

There's not much use arguing with Ventanilla. People who think on bumper-sticker terms and offer only sweeping, vague generalities are most likely closed to reason.

Land reform is not my proposal, it's been a core demand of Latin American peasant movements for centuries. Almost every LATAM country has had some degree of land reform already and the vast majority was instituted by liberal (ie: not 'TANTAMOUNT TO COMMUNISM') governments. I don't get what it is with calling literally everything you don't understand communism.

The idea that huge swathes land shouldn't be concentrated in the hands of people who've had it in their family for 200 years, who dump their produce into the gutter in the middle of a hunger crisis rather than pay slightly more tax, is about the least radical thing ever. All I can think is that you're against it because you're worried it would slightly raise prices for your expat lifestyle.
what are your comment based on? i know many families that produce what you call big lands, by not mean they are the evil you want to paint on them, you are simply a resentful little guy, with stupid and failed old policies in mind. Not much else to add, you are the kind of person that simply does not understand a single thing about economy. Nothing else to add. And i'm not a land owner neither and expats, but i did have the great opportunity to see countries that works, and surely they don't do the shitt you are sugesting

what are your comment based on? i know many families that produce what you call big lands, by not mean they are the evil you want to paint on them, you are simply a resentful little guy, with stupid and failed old policies in mind. Not much else to add, you are the kind of person that simply does not understand a single thing about economy. Nothing else to add. And i'm not a land owner neither and expats, but i did have the great opportunity to see countries that works, and surely they don't do the shitt you are sugesting
I suspect he/she may be pulling our legs. No one can be that naive/stupid as to believe the stuff he contributes.

Back