These prices are killing me

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are some observations I have noticed about Argentine culture over the years I have been here. There is a tendency to never accept personal responsibility and blame others . This is called the yo argentino syndrome.
I do not beleive that because you are a new expatriate living here in Buenos Aires that you should be charged twice more just because you have a foreign passport. Do they charge the rich women of Recoleta and Palermo twice more?
I dont see them charge less for the poor who earn 600 pesos a month so they are not doing this for altruistic reasons.
Prices in Buenos Aires are certainly expensive and this lie of it being one of the worlds cheapest capital is ludicrous. Sure there are some cheaper items and meat is very cheap but the items that count have gone up outrageously in just 4 years.
A Reality check is needed.

Previous poster wrote, "to all the argentines who come here to defend your argentina, if you cant talk with out being biased against everyone then its better not to say a thing."
I say, praise undeserved is satire in disguise to the argentines and others who rush to gush and overlook that one bus sounds like a cross between an air raid siren and a jet airplane torturing millions in the city, that it sprays black smoke choking the street in a cloud, that this problem about double pricing and increasing prices (while quality stays so low), rude almost cruel customer service, etc. etc.Its not a walkable city when you have to put your fingers in your ears from high decibel noise and streets just choked in thick smoke.

I'm an expat who ran out of dollars a while back and now lives off of an Argentine salary. I get so upset when they try to charge me more just because I'm an extranjera. They have no idea how much or how little money I make - they just ASSUME I am loaded with money because I have an accent and carry a US passport.
I hate the fact that I always have to have my (Argentine) fiancée go and ask the prices of things first, just to make sure that I don't get over-charged. It is sad and disturbing that things have to be this way. I feel like I am being taken advantage of on a daily basis.

"ramon" said:
Do they charge the rich women of Recoleta and Palermo twice more?

They do, they f**** do! Try calling a plumber in any of these places and compare how much anybody in a normal neighbourhood would be charged. It has always been like that in Recoleta, but now Palermo is oh so so so fashion.....

"mcaffa" said:
I'm an expat who ran out of dollars a while back and now lives off of an Argentine salary. I get so upset when they try to charge me more just because I'm an extranjera. They have no idea how much or how little money I make - they just ASSUME I am loaded with money because I have an accent and carry a US passport.
I hate the fact that I always have to have my (Argentine) fiancée go and ask the prices of things first, just to make sure that I don't get over-charged. It is sad and disturbing that things have to be this way. I feel like I am being taken advantage of on a daily basis.
Unfortunately it has always been like that, and that is the reason whywhen Argentina was ¨more expensive¨ nobody would come here. Nobody likes to be treated like an idiot. It hurts to admit it ( because I wish my country was different in so many ways ) but we get what we deserve, we act like rude undeducated sheep in all senses 99% of the time. I sometimes feel guilty that my hubby has to deal with this crap.

Mike BA,
Before I respond your post, may I assume that you are from the U.S?

Tatan

You are responsible for what you pay. Companies or stores that raise there prices to much have lost a custumer

I just have had my first travel agency experience and I am sure it will be my last one as well. Lousy service, not responding to emails, giving prices per person when I clearly asked for the total price, having to come back 4(!!!!!!) times to make a reservation.

Only stupid people will keep on using service like that

Yes prices have gone up... it's worth talking about and maybe even venting about a bit... But come on. If you think Buenos Aires is even nearly as expensive as most other major world cities you haven't been out in a while, get real... Don't even think about visiting the UK or Scandanavia... you won't be able to handle it.
Of course services are going to cost more in more up-market areas... Do you think a plumber costs the same in Beverly Hills, as he does in Chico? No way. Maybe a big chain, but they'll find a way to charge more... It's what the market will bear in that area...
Also an uninformed buyer pays more... a woman will typically pay more at a mechanic's shop... I'm sorry but that's the way it is. Likewise a gringo is charged more for certain things here in SA. Big deal... You're responsible for how much you pay. Period.

Big deal? Yeah it is a big deal for me considering I don't rely off of a constant flow of dollars. Things never change here because there are too many people with that "just deal with it" kind of mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back