They are selling stale bread

I live in Monserrat and the bakery round corner give away unsold bread there are people standing on line in the evening.

The French Bakery where I buy sourdough baguettes told me this past Saturday they have not had any problems selling out their bread production. But it has been getting difficult to receive full shipments from the province of the particular flour they use to make sourdough. As a result they have cut back store hours from 7 to 4 days per week at both of their locations.

Is the sourdough really sour? Like you, I'm also familiar with San Francisco's sourdough - a true gift from the gods!

Is the sourdough really sour? I'm also familiar with San Francisco's sourdough, a true gift from the gods.
Not exactly as the sourdough bread sold at SF Fisherman's Wharf...but tastier than any baguette sold in CABA.
A chef in New Orleans told me a long time ago that the reason for the fantastic taste of sourdough bread from SF has to do with the local tap water.
His restaurant with seating for 50 used to have a daily standing order sent via a cargo airline.

Last edited:
In the Washington area, Panera Bread has a very decent sourdough.

Stores in posh Georgetown used to get French baguettes flown in Paris every morning, in the Concorde. Very fashionable, but a poor patch for San Francisco's heavenly bread.

I understand that here I have to look for "masa madre". Seems to be coming into fashion now....! Will post when I find a good source.

Last edited:

Back