They are selling stale bread

Yes, it actually tastes "sour". They're are a bit pricey though, bit of a "hipster" place. The location is Dorrego 1829 (between Honduras and Gorriti) I think they have more information (delivery etc) on Instagram.

Boudin for 150 years on Jefferson St., North Beach is one of the Greatest ..! The secret they still use the "masa madre" from old man Boudin, is being saved an reproduced the bacteria..!

San Francisco fog, called 'lacto bacillus San Francisco,' mixes with the dough and creates a natural starter.

1590874230167.png

They used to sell Boudin loaves at the airport - I always flew home with a few of them sticking out of my backpack.

Not exactly as the sourdough bread sold at SF Fisherman's Wharf...but tastier than any baguette sold in CABA.
A chef in New Orleans told me a long time ago that the reason for the fantastic taste of sourdough bread from SF has to do with the local tap water.
His restaurant with seating for 50 used to have a daily standing order sent via a cargo airline.

Let a chef in NOLA tell you about Tabasco or Mardi Gras - the key to SF sourdough is the airborne yeast. The same thing that gives Anchor Brewing Liberty Ale its character.

Perhaps you all francophile baguette lovers now the meaning of "Boudin" in French ?

Boudin = Black Pudding / Morcilla

1590878158081.png

Back