Thieves In Starbucks- Av. De Mayo

Just today I was walking back home after meeting some friends in San Telmo for lunch around 3:30PM, and low and behold, right on Av. de Mayo, between Chacabuco & Piedras, I saw two Asian ladies in their 30s, obviously tourists, with 2 suspicious people standing very close to them, talking. The scene looked suspicious, so I stood close by. The two idiots standing close to them, were "helping" them wipe a sticky green substance off of their backpacks, camera cases and jackets. They were telling them that something must have splattered them, when of course I know this scheme all too well. The Asian ladies didn't understand what was being said to them in Spanish by the 2 idiots but I immediately spoke to them in English and told them what was going on and they knew, and got scared and thought I might be part of it too. So they said "yes, we know, go away". So I stood a few meters away and waited to see what was going to happen, I stayed close enough for the idiots to see I was on to them, they scurried away around the corner and started cursing at me and giving me the finger. I stayed behind them pretending to take their picture with my cell phone and they ran like rats. As soon as they got about half a block away but still in my view I picked up a large empty beer bottle and threw it in their direction yelling "ladrones, ladrones, hay que lincharlos" they ran even faster and disappeared. This is what I mean, be VERY careful on Av. de Mayo!!

Two female Asians with back pack and camera case hanging? They must have been Japanese, we are so distracted when we go abroad, thinking we are in the safest country in the world, Japan...So to forget to be vigilant.Japan has no pinchers nor street con artist. Only in the 60~70's we had very talented pick pockets. Anyway I thank you for saving those ladies. So Davidglenn 77, is your Spanish sound as spoken from Cuban accent? I still have many Cubano~Americano friends still in Manhattan..
_Oye chico, cuando you vivia en Cuba....Those type of conversation.....You know my drift?

Back