Thieves In Starbucks- Av. De Mayo

Farenheit

Registered
Just a heads up that my guest had her bag snatched from this branch of Starbucks yesterday.

You should tell her to file a police report. That is if she hasn't already

Details? Did she turn her back on it and it disappeared without her even being aware of it? Was it snatched from her hands? Was she punched in the face and then it was snatched from her?

Thanks, Bob

Saw a woman in Starubcks on LM Campos/Maure who had her wallet stolen out of her bag while she was there. She was yelling about it being a woman with 2 kids who had taken it - apparently one of the kids asked her something while mom swiped the wallet (or that's what she thought anyway).

You need to be careful with your belongings at any high traffic, "popular" restaurant, any where in the world. I often leave my bag on the chair next to me in regular restaurants but way too much exposure in Starbucks.

Tom

I am not a Starbucks fan but why is the brand mentioned in this incident and the particular branch on Av. De Mayo. Wallets , bags,cell phones, tablets etc keep disappearing from popular venues all over the world . As long it was a harmless robbery,which could be the result of the owners negligence , names shouldn't be mentioned.

I am not a Starbucks fan but why is the brand mentioned in this incident and the particular branch on Av. De Mayo. Wallets , bags,cell phones, tablets etc keep disappearing from popular venues all over the world . As long it was a harmless robbery,which could be the result of the owners negligence , names shouldn't be mentioned.
It may be because Red had identified Starbucks as "an evil corporation" in another thread.

There's your problem, stop patronising Starbucks. Big corporate chain = evil.

I live on Av. de Mayo in between both Starbucks branches. One is on Av. de Mayo between 9 de Julio & Tacuarí and the other on the corner of Av. de Mayo and Santiago del Estero. From living here for around 4 years now, I can tell you that this entire street is a huge magnet for theives, petty robberies go on every day, there are MANY homeless people in the area, more and more people living on the street in doorways and any nice stores on Av. de Mayo are closing down and either re-open as chinse supermarkets or kioskos. The only saving grace around is Teatro Avenida, which draws a large crowd of decent folk who patronize the nice restaurants in the area. Other than that I would say this area is going downhill quickly. Several times per week I see people with their bags, cameras, ipads, laptops, watches, chains, etc snatched and either in a daze, fallen down on the ground from the impact or just shocked from the quick getaway and then people gathered around cursing and complaining about the crime. Last month the pharmacy - a branch of "Dr. Ahorro" on the corner of Av. de Mayo & Santiago del Estero, on the ground floor of a HUGE 2 tower complex with 500 apartments, across the street from one of the headquarters of the policia federal was held up at gunpoint during the day. In the past 12 months 2 subway stations, Callao & Uruguay were held up at gunpoint, so was the hotel Savoy on Callao & Perón, a grupo commando masked with machine guns came in early in the morning and held up the front desk, so did the electronices repair shop I go to on Montevideo & Rivadavia held up at gunpoint 10:30 in the morning on a weekday 1 block away from the Congreso building and these are just the ones I know about - I am seriously considering leaving Argentina by the end of the year. It's just getting too hairy here and things are getting progressively worse without any end in sight.

Because one expat is warning other expats that a certain location is dangerous, therefore the location needs to be identified. Any big US chain like that is a magnet for tourists, and therefore also a magnet for the predators which prey upon tourists.

Back