Things Expats Like About Living In Bsas..

Wow guys.. that's a lot better than what I had been seeing.. those posts make me feel better. Everybody is saying things are cheap that suprises me. I've been trying to think in pesos now that I will be earning pesos and I found some prices a bit daunting. I loved restaurant hopping in the states and I can already see me doing less of that.
I guess coming from Los Angeles I had forgotten how many trees this city had and its definitely WAY more walkable. Like some people said, Argentines are possibly the worlds best conversationalists and they do seem to be a bit more well read than the average yank.
Once again thanks.. I hope I'm able to have a beer with one of you guys some time.

There is allot to like and you will find those things. Enjoy them because they change rapidly. If you are here and earning pesos I will bet that you soon find a few things on the dark side.

I read this thread with interest just to see if people know what they like. In my experience many of us don't even know. I recognize the problems here but at the same time I love it here. I love the environment that the Argentina people create, no matter what the economy is doing (within reason), the architecture, the trees in the city. But the fact is I really don't know what it is. As I have quoted one writer before, other countries down here are really nice, but Argentina vibrates. And it's true. I never thought I'd like a big city. I was brought up in Miami but later "discovered" the small town environment and I've been a country girl ever since. But I find that here in Palermo where I live it is a little small town within a metropolis! I know the venders where I shop, I know my neighbors. I know the people in the local restaurants.

You will find problems here, as we all have. I think you'll join us when your Internet goes down for 3 months and you can't get it fixed no matter what you do, you'll be on here complaining along with the rest of us. But I also think you will love it. Welcome to Argentina! :)

Great opportunities to study almost anything, and for free or very little money. From theater, to languages to weird stuff (galacian bagpies? classical chinese dancing with parasol? anyone?)
Having kids is seen as a blessing and having a strong relationship with your wife/husband is very important.
I also like (compared to the states) the lack of judgement regarding one´s personal life--has any politician ever gotten thrown out of office for an affaire?

I love that people use public spaces. that on a sunny day, no one is too busy to hang in a park and shoot the shit.

I, too, like it that families are confident in taking their children out, even late at night, to play in public parks. For all the shortcomings of the public transportation system, I love it that the buses run all night, and appreciate their relative frequency at any time of day. But for health limitations, I could devour unlimited quantities of baked empanadas (the world's finest fast food) and helados (also my global favorite) every day.

The lack of variety in food has pushed me to learn how to cook amazing things - at least most of the ingredients can be find in some corner of the city, it's like a treasure hunt! (and I'm not being sarcastic!)

Also I went to Palermo Soho last night (Plaza Armenia and the surrounding blocks) and was amazed at how first-worldly it has become-- Super chic, trendy, bright lights, beautiful interiors of bars/restaurants/cafes/shops, I only arrived 2 years ago and that area has been gradually getting better and better!! Reminds me of a hipper West Village.

Due to lack of offer and very high prices (family of 5, earning in pesos) I have learned to cook Indian curry from scratch. Last night my husband congratulated me and said I'd outdone even his favourite Indian restaurant.
Never would have done that if I still lived in Wellington, where the only food that delivers apart from pizza is Curry in a Hurry.
I tried a dried packet sauce the other day and found it tasted weird. I'm so used to doing things from scratch that instant sauces are no longer on the menu.
I like that I have learned to do this.
And I like the taste of the tomatoes here (when they're not worth $49 per kilo), back home they all look perfect and have no taste.
The things I like about Argentina do include stuff that isn't food, but right now I'm hungry. :)

The asados. Hands down the best element to Argentina IMO. And not just the meat/eating, but the whole ritual. Sipping wine, chatting with friends or family, helping prep food, cooking- it's the communal effort that is just understood and done together. They are incredibly relaxing and make for a great afternoon or evening.

And of course a properly cooked portion of chinchulines, morcilla, vacio combo'ed with an arugula salad, maybe throw in some papas provenzal. Life is truly good when feasting with friends here.

I like that there are over 30 milongas to choose from every day here in Buenos Aires, and if you get tired of them, a new one opens up. You can dance tango non-stop every hour of the day. This is a true heaven for tango dancers!! (and, of course, a nice of red meat with awesome wine is always a plus!)

So summer is here and the city looks unusually more greener than ever. Specially 9 de Julio. Suddenly at once magnificent mature trees appearing over night (these must be 30 or 50 years old trees). Stunning canopy of apple blossom violet colors. What a wonderful job did this Macri do !!!! I remember when it was nothing but 32 lanes of cement asphalt and concrete 9 years ago. Bs. As. really is an electric vibrant chic, must see city, with an outstanding exceptional personality. Downtown now is like a picnic in the park with quite few core streets now "peatonal". If I say any more, you might think that I am fantasizing about a beautiful curvy lady (but this is beside the point).

Back