Thoughts After Finally Throwing In The Towel And Leaving Ba

LostinBA

Registered
I left BA a few months ago in a chain of events that saw me be ripped off by my landlord, by the taxi driver that carried me to the airport, by the government with their 20% travel surcharge on tickets and luggage fees, by the airline with luggage fees, by SENASA, by the central bank who refused to exchange my pesos for dollars at any rate at the airport. In the airport, for the first time, a policeman invited me to give him a bribe in order to allow me to bring my dog for which I already had written permission. Fees here, bribes there, argentines everywhere.

I had sold off and given away my things for peanuts to make my escape as lightweight, quick and painless as possible. The best plans of mice and men are beset on all sides by Cristina's minions.

Remember the movie "Escape from New York"? Like that except Argentines are less polite...

Sooooo...why do I miss so many things about BA? It's like being in an abusive relationship with beautiful partner suffering from an unmedicated bipolar disorder. When it's good, it's great...otherwise, hide the knives.

All in all, I've found that people are far more genuine, kinder and prices are definitely more reasonable in the real world. Life is a far more pleasant away from the money controls, constant strikes and currupt politicians and union leaders that frankly, should be shot. Buenos Aires, nice for a visit. Wouldn't want to live and work there.

Helpful advice with those with pets:
P.S. It could've been worse I suppose...Argie custom agents wanted $3200-3600 USD (not including pick up or travel kennel) to transport my pooch to Montreal (one way!). Everyone said it was mandatory to use them...what a scam. If anyone needs to carry your dog, get a doctor or shrink to give you an "emotional support animal" letter. Pooch/cat flies free at your feet on the plane.

the bipolar thing is pretty common here..although I have never lived in a major city like NY or LA... maybe I just haven´t personally seen it coming from a smaller town..

I hear you. I moved here almost 7 years ago for family reasons. Argentina, (more specifically Buenos Aires) is very stressful. Although there are nice people, especially in the provincias, argentines in general and porteños in particular are, for the most part, rude, noisy, overly "friendly" (talking to you in the first person when you haven't given them the "confianza" to do so), corrupt, and disrespectful (especially drivers). Too many strikes, "piquetes", regulations, crime, narcissism (sorry if I spelled it wrong). The icing on the cake is the "cepo cambiario": it's mind-boggling to think that a corrupt bureaucrat can tell you what to do with your money...and the worst part is that nothing will change.

Argentina is an incredible country and, if its people had more common sense, could be one of the top 5 countries in the world; unfortunately argentines' worst enemy rests on their shoulders. I still don't know if I'll completely throw my hat in the ring and stay here or decide my hat is more valuable and leave. Should my decision be the latter I'll be gone quicker than the road runner right before the coyote is about to catch him.
I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

I left BA a few months ago in a chain of events that saw me be ripped off by my landlord, by the taxi driver that carried me to the airport, by the government with their 20% travel surcharge on tickets and luggage fees, by the airline with luggage fees, by SENASA, by the central bank who refused to exchange my pesos for dollars at any rate at the airport. In the airport, for the first time, a policeman invited me to give him a bribe in order to allow me to bring my dog for which I already had written permission. Fees here, bribes there, argentines everywhere.

I had sold off and given away my things for peanuts to make my escape as lightweight, quick and painless as possible. The best plans of mice and men are beset on all sides by Cristina's minions.

Remember the movie "Escape from New York"? Like that except Argentines are less polite...

Sooooo...why do I miss so many things about BA? It's like being in an abusive relationship with beautiful partner suffering from an unmedicated bipolar disorder. When it's good, it's great...otherwise, hide the knives.

All in all, I've found that people are far more genuine, kinder and prices are definitely more reasonable in the real world. Life is a far more pleasant away from the money controls, constant strikes and currupt politicians and union leaders that frankly, should be shot. Buenos Aires, nice for a visit. Wouldn't want to live and work there.

P.S. It could've been worse I suppose...Argie custom agents wanted $3200-3600 USD (not including pick up or travel kennel) to transport my pooch to Montreal (one way!). Everyone said it was mandatory to use them...what a scam. If anyone needs to carry your dog, get a doctor or shrink to give you an "emotional support animal" letter. Pooch/cat flies free at your feet on the plane.

Unless, presumably, the pooch is a Newfoundland or a St. Bernard.

Unless, presumably, the pooch is a Newfoundland or a St. Bernard.

What wonderfully huge beasts. Actually the airlines cannot discriminate. Most have a policy relocating or bumping the passenger beside you if the animal needs more footspace. Heck, miniature horses are even accepted. Emotional support giraffe anyone?

What wonderfully huge beasts. Actually the airlines cannot discriminate. Most have a policy relocating or bumping the passenger beside you if the animal needs more footspace. Heck, miniature horses are even accepted. Emotional support giraffe anyone?

The W Hotel in Santiago has an any-pets policy, and didn't flinch when I asked if I could bring my howler monkey.

We need forum titled "Exit Stories" there are so many similarities. Lost in BA ............Congratulations. There are plenty of folks that just stay in that disfunctional relationship until they go mad or die from some kind of overdose.

Brilliant advice on animal transportation!!!! I bought my apartment from a 92 year old Argentine psychiatrist (still practicing and sharp as a tack - I have tea with her once a month), and she would do this in a heartbeat as she would think it funny. Wish I had known this before. I have transported at least 30 animals back to the UK over the years and it has cost me 5 - 8 thousand USD each time. Then again, I suspect my fellow travellers might have been somewhat inconvenienced by a horse sitting on my lap!

Back