Thousands of Argentines, with terror of being expelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have permanent residency.

Though I cannot prove $2000 per month income now (and never had to), I should be able to do so after I produce my own reality TV show:

"WHO WANTS TO MARRY A PERMANENT RESIDENT?" :p:p:p:p

Yes, I think I'm funny.

Open Letter to Alex...

No need to be insulting by the way, I was only relating what I personally was told by two sources, the Embassy and Migraciones. At NO time did I say I wanted to live here permanantly, in fact quite the opposite if you read what I said. I actually totally agree that if you want to live here for ever, and earn a living here, you should apply for the appropriate Visa. If, on the other hand, you desire to stay for a while, enjoy the country, make new friends and experience the culture of the country, as a tourist, using your own resources etc., there is nothing under Argentine Law to stop you doing that, subject to renewing the Tourist Visa... That is what I was told, on more than one occassion...

I said earlier in the thread I saw no point in discussing the matter further, as clearly different views are held by many as to the interpretation of Argentine Immigration Laws, both here, and probably amongst those employed by the service, but I don't see the need to be insulting to anyone, and as I said, we will simply agree to differ, as we all have different advice and understanding. In many ways, its what makes Argentina such an interesting place to visit.

Liam3494 said:
Open Letter to Alex...

No need to be insulting by the way, I was only relating what I personally was told by two sources, the Embassy and Migraciones. At NO time did I say I wanted to live here permanantly, in fact quite the opposite if you read what I said. I actually totally agree that if you want to live here for ever, and earn a living here, you should apply for the appropriate Visa. If, on the other hand, you desire to stay for a while, enjoy the country, make new friends and experience the culture of the country, as a tourist, using your own resources etc., there is nothing under Argentine Law to stop you doing that, subject to renewing the Tourist Visa... That is what I was told, on more than one occassion...

I said earlier in the thread I saw no point in discussing the matter further, as clearly different views are held by many as to the interpretation of Argentine Immigration Laws, both here, and probably amongst those employed by the service, but I don't see the need to be insulting to anyone, and as I said, we will simply agree to differ, as we all have different advice and understanding. In many ways, its what makes Argentina such an interesting place to visit.
Liam,
Do not sweat it ;) Us Argentines do not have a clue on what is going on, and if it was only on this matters, I would feel happy :)
nik

I was only being facetious Liam. Having said that, a real gentleman would simply admit that he was wrong and move on.

The law was pretty clear and the written email from migraciones should have cleared up any ambiguity. But you are entitled to disagree with their very direct response.

I feel pretty vindicated so i'll just bow out of this thread right about now:rolleyes:.

Liam3494 said:
Open Letter to Alex...

My philosophy is simple and I have never bashed perma-tourists. As long as you can get away with living here on a "renewable" tourist visa and you are willing to take the risk of being denied reentry at some point in the future, it's completely your business. It would be toughest for those who own apartments here and live here year round if and when the curtain falls, but its their life to live and their risk to take.

AlexfromLA said:
I was only being facetious Liam. Having said that, a real gentleman would simply admit that he was wrong and move on.

Well, go on then be a gentleman and admit it then ;)

Steve, actually the law is very clear, and all the arguments put forward today have agreed with the Law, as does the email from Migraciones, and the advice I have been given. The quoted law, sorry I am not going back to quote the line number, we know what we are discussing, states the 90 days upon entry and the ability to renew in Mirgaciones, without leaving the country, for a further 90 days, making a maximum stay in one go, of 180 days, which is precisely what the email says, as well as the relevant Law.

What there is NO LAW stating, as there is in other countries, is the Maximum number of says you can spend in Argentina in any 12 months period, or how long you have to leave the country for, before returning... Absolutely NO LAW on this, maybe there should be, in my view it would be very clear if there was, but there isn't.

I need some Ibuprofen now :)

qwerty said:
Where is the link Alex?

I give you the link: Requisitos para obtener Visa de Turismo

Requisitos para obtener Visa de Turismo
Pasaporte válido u otro documento de viaje reconocido por la República Argentina.
Formulario de solicitud (provisto por el Consulado)
1 fotografía 4 x 4
Pasaje de ida y vuelta
Pago del arancel consular
Probar medios económicos para la estadía
El plazo máximo de permanencia que pueden otorgar las Oficinas Consulares es de noventa (90) días.
Dicho plazo puede prorrogarse por una única vez, por igual lapso al otorgado, (TOTAL 180 DIAS) presentándose en cualquiera de las Delegaciones de la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones antes de que expire el plazo originalmente concedido.
Para obtener la prórroga se debe abonar el arancel correspondiente.

Why would you take his interpretation of the law above migraciones own interpretation ? I will take the written word of migraciones and their explicit interpretation of their own laws at face value. Anything else would be reaching to try to come to a predetermined conclusion in my view.

If an Argentinian immigration lawyer can add his or her particular interpretation of the immigration laws pertaining to tourists in Argentina I would still be very interested to hear it.

But people can continue to debate this if they want. It is their right.

steveinbsas said:
Based on French Jurist's post, the law doesn't seem to be clear in the least and the email from migraciones indicated what the law intends, but is not consistent what is being enforced.

Liam3494 said:
S

What there is NO LAW stating, as there is in other countries, is the Maximum number of says you can spend in Argentina in any 12 months period, or how long you have to leave the country for, before returning... Absolutely NO LAW on this, maybe there should be, in my view it would be very clear if there was, but there isn't.

That would have made all of this unnecessary wouldn't it?

I would have done a lot more yard work today if that were the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back