Thousands of Argentines, with terror of being expelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for saying this. I wanted to say something similar but didn't want to rub anyones nose in it. Might as well now.

Bottom line is, if the Argentinian government starts cracking down on perma tourists at some point, many United States citizens are going to know what it feel like to be an illegal immigrant in a country that doesn't want them.

nikad said:
They are just as illegal as many "expats-I-really-am-a-permatourist-taking-advantage-of-local-lack-of-law-enforcement"... If you like fire you have to take the heat then.

nikad said:
They are just as illegal as many "expats-I-really-am-a-permatourist-taking-advantage-of-local-lack-of-law-enforcement"... If you like fire you have to take the heat then.

From what I understand it's perfectly legal for perma-tourists to jump ship to Uruguay (or other country) every 3 months, get a new stamp, and come back. I would agree that it's an unintended (or perhaps not) loophole but I don't think you can compare it to overstaying a tourist visa in the US. We have no such loophole. Or is that not right?

AlexfromLA said:
Bottom line is, if the Argentinian government starts cracking down on perma tourists at some point, many United States citizens are going to know what it feel like to be an illegal immigrant in a country that doesn't want them.

I think Americans would just stop coming. The difference is in the US as an illegal immigrant you can make double or triple what you can make in your home country. In Argentina or any other Latin America country for that matter, that's simply not possible for any illegal (or undocumented) immigrant of any extraction.

Brazil's tourist visa laws are more stringent and what you find is that while Americans grumble about them they more or less adhere to the laws because fines are higher and the laws more strictly enforced.

You wouldn't believe the red tape that Americans have to go through to live in Mexico. They would have kicked me out of their country long ago even if I own a house if I didn't have and maintain the proper documentation. What's good for the goose is good for the gander!

AlexfromLA said:
Thank you for saying this. I wanted to say something similar but didn't want to rub anyones nose in it. Might as well now.

I dont understand what you are getting at here, because anyone whos tourist visa is about to expire can go to immigration and get it renewed for another 3 months, or they can pop over to coloina and re-enter the country.. So i am guessing there is nothing wrong with being a perma-tourist or immigration wouldnt give you the ability to continually renew the tourist visa.

As long as the government keeps issuing them new three-month visas, permatourists are free to stay on.

LAtoBA said:
I think Americans would just stop coming. The difference is in the US as an illegal immigrant you can make double or triple what you can make in your home country. In Argentina or any other Latin America country for that matter, that's simply not possible for any illegal (or undocumented) immigrant of any extraction.

Brazil's tourist visa laws are more stringent and what you find is that while Americans grumble about them they more or less adhere to the laws because fines are higher and the laws more strictly enforced.
We are talking apples and oranges.

I am talking about the US citizens that are LIVING here full time on a tourist visa hence the term " perma tourist ". This is technically illegal. You aren't supposed to be in the country more than 6 months a year on a tourist visa. The Argentinian government hasn't cracked down on this yet, but if they do there are alot of US citizens that are LIVING here full time and yes they would then have to leave or go completely " illegal ".

davonz said:
I dont understand what you are getting at here, because anyone whos tourist visa is about to expire can go to immigration and get it renewed for another 3 months, or they can pop over to coloina and re-enter the country.. So i am guessing there is nothing wrong with being a perma-tourist or immigration wouldnt give you the ability to continually renew the tourist visa.

Did you read my post ? I said IF the Argentinian government decides to crack down on this loophole. It is illegal to live here full time on a tourist visa and you are only supposed to be in Argentina 6 months out of the year on a tourist visa.

AlexfromLA said:
Did you read my post ? I said IF the Argentinian government decides to crack down on this loophole. It is illegal to live here full time on a tourist visa and you are only supposed to be in Argentina 6 months out of the year on a tourist visa.

Yes i did read your post.. which didnt have any mention of 6 months on it.. you only added that later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back