Tips For Broken Iphone 5S

Did you do a hard reset? http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

Also, connect to iTunes and restore to factory default settings? http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

Yes, Ben. I do not want to download music through some crazy port, give me usb on everything. The OS on Samsung phone is better, it is compatible with everything/everybody.
Apple computer almost died by having their own OS and keeping their system closed, then Jobs came back and saved the company. Now Jobs is dead, Apple is in trouble(I used to be an Apple employee in Cupertino, CA). Outside US, Iphone is perceived to be a nice phone, but in US many do not care. Samsung S5 has more customers http://bgr.com/2014/...5s-sales-q2/��

and read the comments following the above link, many people think Iphone is a crappy phone. But do not feel bad if you have an iphone, it still looks good in Argentina.

Whoooaaaa....

- dude, use whatever phone you like. I'm just thinking that 'refusing' to use one phone or another, (conscientious objector?) particularly when the following factors in to your choice -
  • your being an Apple or Samsung or Hitachi or JVC 'guy'
  • history of the company 18+ years ago
  • who runs it (you feel/felt some personal loyalty to him? If yes, why?)
  • who perceives it to be a nice phone, who doesn't care, who feels it's crappy
then you need a year of meditation or something. but that's just me.

I use an iPhone - and some other Apple kit - and but don't think that makes me an 'Apple guy'. It means that of the limited portion of my life that I allocated to considering it, it appeared that an iPhone would let me get my stuff done more easily and/or pleasantly. You think differently - awesome. But not a shame to invest that much passion in a phone? Just sayin'.

Hi guys, I don't care what phone you use or your complaints about certain brands. I started this thread as a question to resolve a hardware issue so if you have problems with Apple or you have a chip on your shoulder than you can gripe about it somewhere else.

Thanks to all who answered my question.

Did you do a hard reset? http://support.apple.../en-us/HT201559

Also, connect to iTunes and restore to factory default settings? http://support.apple.../en-us/HT201252

I'm reluctant to restore to factory default because I don't want to lose all my travel photos. Therefore if I don't need to do that I'd rather not do it. But if it comes down to it I might need to bite the bullet and restore to default.

Once you go Android you will never ever look back. Our iPad has basically become a very expensive toy for our toddler -- and we'll just keep it for him until it dies or stops being able to update. Oh and my husband uses it for checking his RBC acct in Canada -- they must have signed an exclusive deal with Apple or something because they (RBC Canada) don't have a functioning app for Android (though I haven't checked for about 3 mos or so to see if that's still true).

We have android everything else, and the Nexus tablets are about 1/3 the price of an iPad and fantastic. And we don't need to buy silly Apple TV either since we can just cable in our Nexus to the TV via HDMI and then use my husband's Samsung phone as a remote. And it's a much better remote than silly Apple tv's single button -- like wtf Apple, you seriously think that the single button design that worked on the first iPod's is adequate enough for doing searches on the iTunes store... ugh.

I'm reluctant to restore to factory default because I don't want to lose all my travel photos. Therefore if I don't need to do that I'd rather not do it. But if it comes down to it I might need to bite the bullet and restore to default.

Did you have iCloud backup on? The photos may be there already.
Also, will it sync with iTunes?

Did you have iCloud backup on? The photos may be there already.
Also, will it sync with iTunes?

I've never used iCloud so I don't think they've been backed up. Oh well.

I took it in and they're going to change the battery. Hopefully that will solve the problem. I found battery changes cheaper elsewhere but I figured they'd been given good reviews so I'd just let them do it and hope it works. If not, well, I'm not terribly attached to my phone, my old nokia dinosaur still runs from the early 00's, probably more reliable than any Apple or Samsung combined :)

Hi guys, I don't care what phone you use or your complaints about certain brands. I started this thread as a question to resolve a hardware issue so if you have problems with Apple or you have a chip on your shoulder than you can gripe about it somewhere else.

Thanks to all who answered my question.

OK sorry for not dealing with your original question. I'd been meaning to but then went to bed.

A couple of questions:
  • When it turns off, does the spinner display (as in when you turn off the phone normally), or is power cut completely and immediately?
  • When plugged in to AC or to the computer, does it turn off as well?
  • If it turns off even when connected to iTunes:
    • Does that happen with the spinner or power just cuts?
    • In the 30 seconds before it turns off, does the phone show up in iTunes?
    • Is it connected to iTunes on a PC or Mac?

OK sorry for not dealing with your original question. I'd been meaning to but then went to bed.

A couple of questions:
  • When it turns off, does the spinner display (as in when you turn off the phone normally), or is power cut completely and immediately?
  • When plugged in to AC or to the computer, does it turn off as well?
  • If it turns off even when connected to iTunes:
    • Does that happen with the spinner or power just cuts?
    • In the 30 seconds before it turns off, does the phone show up in iTunes?
    • Is it connected to iTunes on a PC or Mac?

Yes, it turns off immediately and unexpectedly. I experimented using various applications (for photos, chat, etc...) just to see if they would work and they all do, the phone only works momentarily before going black and then it tries to restart itself. This occurs only when it is plugged in. If I try to turn it on by itself it doesn't turn on at all. This has led me to conclude it's a battery issue, though when the phone turns on, for those rare seconds, it shows battery at 100%. I've taken it in to get the battery replaced and if that's not the problem then I'll probably just wait until August when I return to the states. Unless they tell me it's something they can do here. Though I'm spending enough on the battery replacement as it is.

Thanks for all the advice.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jantango Expat Life 1
A Expat Life 7
F Expat Life 12
F Expat Life 9
jantango Expat Life 11
Back