To everyone who lives in Palermo...

You people better warn all the investors in Puerto Madero, because they don't stop. I've seen offices and apts. in the docks and they are all first class.

billsfan said:
You people better warn all the investors in Puerto Madero, because they don't stop. I've seen offices and apts. in the docks and they are all first class.

Investors in Puerto Madero get what they want: a safe, closely guarded island separate from the rest of BA. It belongs to the Puerto de Buenos Aires and is policed by Gendarmeria Nacional, widely regarded as the most efficient and least corrupt of the armed forces.

The area is an island accessed via a few bridges easy to control. Muggers shy away from places without quick getaways, and protesters and demonstrators are banned form entering it. So, the key to PM is safety - everyone I know who bought there did it for that reason.

My brother had to organize a medical congress, and chose the bland and generic PM Hilton instead of one of the better Recoleta hotels precisely for that reason - no fear of demonstrations, and no muggings.

I was a tourist in San Telmo a few Sundays ago and I didn't find it disgusting. I thought it was quite appealing. But that was with the streets full of people and street vendors. Quite charming actually. Can it be so different any other time?

Alzinho said:
And I've got a really nice and spacious place for $1500/mth. And I mean 'nice' by European standards....and that's pesos, not dollars. :cool:

That's quite the deal. I didn't hear YOU saying it was disgusting. Only that Palermo was more trendy.

I live in Palermo, as you know, it is very nice. But there's just as much dog sh*t and cracked up sidewalks here as there is anywhere else.

BTW, you should visit the Malba museum on Alcorta, walk around Palermo Chico and then the mall on Jeronimo Salguero just to the north of Alcorta. It's even nicer than Palermo, less dog sh*t and quieter.

Alzinho said:
I'm very sorry, but I can't talk to you any more.....ok, maybe through an interpreter. ;)

I spent a couple of hours wandering around Scalabrini Ortiz and Santa Fe yesterday - you live in a different world to what I know. A different planet completely! I saw clean, tree-lined streets, fresh fruit and vegetables, a shop selling imported cheeses and even fresh fish - something I haven't seen in 3 years! And a shopping centre that could have been in London or New York! All things that I didn't even know existed here.....and unfortunately stocked with stuff that's all WAY out of my budget.

Now that I've seen how/where 'the other half' lives, I'm a little perplexed by some of the negativity on this forum; seriously. I know everything is relative, but Palermo looks like the first world compared to the third world areas that I'm familiar with, including San Telmo, which, despite its reputation for attracting tourists for its quaintness, is still run-down, filthy, lacks domestic commerce and is not somewhere to wander round late at night.

Al
What´s interesting is that Palermo is not the only bubble but San Telmo was Alzinho´s bubble, that´s to say, any neighbourhood can be our bubble and in fact, everybody builds one. This forum has been an usual arena for bubbles crashings.

diplomacy said:
... Jeronimo Salguero just to the north of Alcorta. It's even nicer than Palermo, less dog sh*t and quieter.

That is Barrio Parque - by far Buenos Aires' most exclusive and expensive area.

Alzinho said:
Unfortunately I'm 4 months into a 2 year rental contract....and I'm probably going to have to renew that contract when the 2 years is up! I didn't realize how lucky I'd been in getting a 2 year contract without a garantia - I've found out subsequently that it's virtually impossible. And I've got a really nice and spacious place for $1500/mth. And I mean 'nice' by European standards....and that's pesos, not dollars. :cool:
Yeah, you didn't mention this. Now what you have to do is work to improve the neighborhood. Unfortunately squatter's rights are ridiculous in this country and short of disappearing people, you're kind of F'd on dealing with reproducing vagrants that bring San Telmo down.

diplomacy said:
I was a tourist in San Telmo a few Sundays ago and I didn't find it disgusting. I thought it was quite appealing. But that was with the streets full of people and street vendors. Quite charming actually. Can it be so different any other time?

Yes. Walk around at 10pm on a Tuesday night (especially get away from Humberto 1 y Defensa) and see how charming that place is. Ever seen the original "Escape from New York"?

SaraSara said:

And the mall is called Paseo Alcorta and they are going to expand it. It's not accessible by Subte, so the clientele is much nicer. No subte AND they have plenty of parking. It's almost like Puerto Madero without having to cross a bridge. (However, if you go under the bridge to the east side towards the Airport, Villa 31's back end is just to the right a ways.)

Hey Al...you fell into the trap that many of my friends have fallen into "San Telmo is the hip, cool, place in Buenos Aires"

SO NOT TRUE

In just the last 1-2 years, almost every friend I have that lived in San Telmo has moved somewhere between Scalabrini Ortiz y Juan B Justo.

I've lived in the same place in Palermo Soho for 5 years and can't imagine living anywhere else in the city. Restaurants, bars, shopping, this really is the true hip, cool, nice place to be. Of course, you get a lot of tourists, but that just allows you to show off your knowledge of Buenos Aires and make recommendations of places to go :)

If you can, pack up and move on over...you'll enjoy feeling safe walking around late at night and really enjoy what Buenos Aires has to offer.

SaraSara said:

And it's also part of Palermo.

Palermo is the largest barrio in BA and has so much to offer. There are all different types of sub sections. I love it here but I also enjoy visiting other neighborhoods. I love my bus ride on the 151 from Belgrano back to Palermo. I'm glad I chose to live here. My only regret is that I don't have one of those French style places that you could find much easier in San Telmo. Hey, we can't always have it all now can we!?

jaredwb said:
Hey Al...you fell into the trap that many of my friends have fallen into "San Telmo is the hip, cool, place in Buenos Aires"

SO NOT TRUE

In just the last 1-2 years, almost every friend I have that lived in San Telmo has moved somewhere between Scalabrini Ortiz y Juan B Justo.

I've lived in the same place in Palermo Soho for 5 years and can't imagine living anywhere else in the city. Restaurants, bars, shopping, this really is the true hip, cool, nice place to be. Of course, you get a lot of tourists, but that just allows you to show off your knowledge of Buenos Aires and make recommendations of places to go :)

If you can, pack up and move on over...you'll enjoy feeling safe walking around late at night and really enjoy what Buenos Aires has to offer.

San Telmo is not for me and there are many more better neighbourhoods. Almagro to me is the quintisencial barrio with excellent shops, great cafes and a friendly barrio feel. Three years when I joined my company Remax I sang the praises to many of this neighbourhood and they are all very happy living there.

The other great neighbourhood is Colegiales and Chacarita is funky and friendly with excellent restaurants and quiet streets.

Back