To wed or to wait (for work visa)

fsoyle

Registered
I know there are many posts about work visas here (having read most of them), but I wanted to add my specific question.

Having recently arrived here with my Argentine girlfriend, I've been offered a job in a Bilingual High School, but they need me to have a work visa (and get it before January). I've researched lots and am unsure which route is quicker; getting married or applying for the work visa without a marriage certificate.

I'm also a bit confused on the police check side of things. I've read on various websites that UK citizens don't need a police check, but other sites say they do. Now here's the crux, I was living in New Zealand for the past 2 years, and previous to that, Japan for 4 years. Does that mean I need a police check from NZ and Japan and not the UK, or all 3, or just the UK, or not at all?

Thanks

You cannot apply for a work visa. They must apply for been an authorization. Then you apply through them.

You have all the info at the DNM website:

REQUISITOS TRABAJADOR MIGRANTE

DOCUMENTACION A PRESENTAR:

a) IDENTIDAD: Cédula de Identidad, Pasaporte o Certificado de Nacionalidad con foto, originales. Estos documentos deberán encontrarse vigentes, en buen estado de conservación y con un juego de fotocopias completo inclusive hojas en blanco.
b) CERTIFICADO DE ANTECEDENTES PENALES ARGENTINOS Emitido por Registro Nacional de Reincidencia o Policía Federal. Solo exigible a mayores de 16 años.
c) CERTIFICADO DE CARENCIA DE ANTECEDENTES PENALES emitidos por las autoridades competentes de los países donde haya residido por un plazo superior a UN (1) año, durante el transcurso de los últimos TRES (3) años. Solo exigible a mayores de 16 (dieciséis) años.
d) DECLARACION JURADA de carencia de antecedentes penales en otros países, (será confeccionada en migraciones al momento de la solicitud de residencia).
e) INGRESO.
Sello de ingreso al país estampado en el documento de viaje o en la tarjeta migratoria.
CERTIFICADO DE DOMICILIO O UNA FACTURA DE ALGUN SERVICIO PUBLICO A SU NOMBRE (ABL, luz, agua o gas)
Tasa de radicación:
NO MERCOSUR $600
DOS FOTOS 4x4 COLOR (Deberá ser actual, tomada de frente, medio busto, con la cabeza totalmente descubierta, color, con fondo uniforme blanco y liso, permitiendo apreciar fielmente y en toda su plenitud los rasgos faciales de su titular al momento de realizar el trámite).
A) Pre-contrato laboral suscripto por las partes
El pre-contrato deberá especificar:
Datos personales de las partes, tareas a realizar por el extranjero, duración de la jornada laboral, duración de la relación laboral, domicilio donde desarrollará tareas el extranjero, remuneración a percibir (deberá ajustarse al convenio colectivo de trabajo de la actividad a desarrollar) y número de CUIT del empleador.
Si el empleador estuviera representado por un tercero, deberá acompañar el Poder de estilo nombrando a este.
Las firmas deberán encontrarse certificadas por escribano público o ante un agente de esta Dirección Nacional al momento de iniciar la solicitud de residencia. (en el sector informes se encuentra un modelo de precontrato de trabajo a modo informativo)

B) Contancia de inscripción del empleador ante la ADMINISTRACIÓN FEDERAL DE INGRESOS PÚBLICOS (AFIP).
C) Constancia de inscripción del empleador en el Registro REGISTRO ÚNICO DE REQUIRENTES DE EXTRANJEROS de la DIRECCIÓN NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES (disp. Dnm nº: 54.618/08)

Nota: dentro del plazo de treinta (30) días corridos a partir del inicio de la solicitud de residencia deberá presentar, ante el sector recepción de documentación constancia de alta temprana, emitida por la Administración Federal de Ingresos Públicos (AFIP) y suscripta por el empleador.

LA RESIDENCIA A OTORGAR SERÁ TEMPORARIA
IMPORTANTE:
• Toda documentación expedida en el extranjero deberá contar con la legalización del Consulado Argentino, sito en el país emisor del documento Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores Comercio Internacional y Culto, o Apostillada, si el país hubiera ratificado el Convenio de La Haya.
• Sin perjuicio de lo dispuesto en los acuerdos o convenciones internacionales vigentes, toda documentación expedida por las representaciones consulares en el territorio nacional, deberá contar con la legalización del Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores Comercio Internacional y Culto, excepto MERCOSUR.
• Toda documentación expedida en idioma extranjero deberá contar con la traducción al castellano efectuada por Traductor Público Nacional (Art. 6º Ley 20.305) y legalizada por el Colegio de Traductores.
• La documentación a presentar deberá ser original e ir acompañada de su respectiva fotocopia, a fin de proceder a su certificación. La Dirección Nacional de Migraciones podrá solicitar, si así lo considerase necesario, documentación adicional a la detallada

fsoyle said:
I know there are many posts about work visas here (having read most of them), but I wanted to add my specific question.

Having recently arrived here with my Argentine girlfriend, I've been offered a job in a Bilingual High School, but they need me to have a work visa (and get it before January). I've researched lots and am unsure which route is quicker; getting married or applying for the work visa without a marriage certificate.

I'm also a bit confused on the police check side of things. I've read on various websites that UK citizens don't need a police check, but other sites say they do. Now here's the crux, I was living in New Zealand for the past 2 years, and previous to that, Japan for 4 years. Does that mean I need a police check from NZ and Japan and not the UK, or all 3, or just the UK, or not at all?

Thanks

This is a very interesting question.

Even if you marry an Argentine you still have to apply for residency or citizenship. If you need two years of residency to be granted citizenship, that wont help you get a work visa in the next few months.

If you apply for permanent residency based upon marriage you wil need police reports forom all countries you have lived in for the past five years.

Ironically, if you apply for citizenship you don't have to provide any police checks. The court will do that after you submit your fingerprints.

Thanks for your help. Ultimately I'm not aiming for citizenship, just the right to work legally. I guess then that I need to start getting those police records from NZ and Japan.

steveinbsas said:
Ironically, if you apply for citizenship you don't have to provide any police checks. The court will do that after you submit your fingerprints.

Depends, at Capital Federal they ask for your homeland police check but you can start your case without it, you need it at the end.

Argentina is unique regarding citizenship because residency is the second option. That s why citizenship is easier, it is an incentive.

Bajo_cero2 said:
Depends, at Capital Federal they ask for your homeland police check but you can start your case without it, you need it at the end.

Argentina is unique regarding citizenship because residency is the second option. That s why citizenship is easier, it is an incentive.

Does the two year residency requirement for citizenship apply to everyone...including a foreigner who gets married to an Argentine immediately after arriving in Argentina for the first time?

(More details neede to know if this is the case.)

Bottom line: What is the easiest way for the OP to "qualify" for the job?

Either way, the likely hood of you having a work visa by January is slim to none. The system just doesn't work that fast in Capital.

The chances of you getting a work visa by January are pretty slim. If you apply for the work visa straight off, you need the school to sponsor that visa (I'd say that's probably the quickest route)...If they're telling you to get a visa by January, I wonder if they mean "without their help"... which, for a work visa, is impossible.
If you get married you WILL need police reports for the past 5 years. The issue is that you have to book your marriage ceremony a few weeks in advance (can't remember how long...I think it's 20/30 days) which is going to bring you into mid-December AT LEAST. Requesting the UK certificate alone, getting it apostilled and then sent to Argentina took me almost two months.

Thanks for all of your comments. I figured that it would be difficult to get this done by January, having already been to immigration in Retiro and seen the level of commitment and service. It took me 3 trips to extend my tourist visa, through no fault of my own I might add. The first 2 occasions I went, after arriving between 8 and 8:30am, they had 'system' problems and only had 30 numbers to give out.

Anyway that's besides the point. I guess I start the gruelling task of getting proof that I'm not a felon, from NZ (which should be fairly straightforward) and Japan, a country where paperwork and form-filling is neverending.
Once again, thanks

steveinbsas said:
Does the two year residency requirement for citizenship apply to everyone...including a foreigner who gets married to an Argentine immediately after arriving in Argentina for the first time?

(More details neede to know if this is the case.)

Bottom line: What is the easiest way for the OP to "qualify" for the job?

If you marry, you can apply about 2 weeks later when you have all your marriage papers done.

Student visa is the best way.

Marriage is a serious thing in this country.

Regards

Back