Top Gear Patagonia Pt1 - 27Th Dec

I`m trying to work out if in "ruined by a bunch of morons" you mean the Argentine government, the mob in ushuaia or the top gear presenters?

Argentine government, and the mob in ushuaia..

The top gear presenters are a whole different type of morons.

Just a couple of points, there is a national database where you can search numbers it is the DVL site.
Do you really think a group of morons in Patagonia would tie in FLK to the Malvinas?

I believe the whole things set up as yet another Top Gear publicity stunt.
They I something similar in Vietnam with their Born in The USA bike, they just did not get the same response.

Just a couple of points, there is a national database where you can search numbers it is the DVL site.
Do you really think a group of morons in Patagonia would tie in FLK to the Malvinas?

I believe the whole things set up as yet another Top Gear publicity stunt.
They I something similar in Vietnam with their Born in The USA bike, they just did not get the same response.

Yes you can search the DVLA site to look up info about a car.
pNyvLjX.png

is the Porsche in questions tax info.

Now you have to find out who owns the thing and then convince them to sell it.

So basically you're claiming someone went here http://www.autotrader.co.uk/vehiclecheck or equivalent website, looked up random numberplates that might be offensive, luckily found 1 that they could use H982FLK which was attached to an old sports car that they could use and then shipped that car over to make fun of the Falklands war in which British and Argentine soldiers were killed in.

Alternatively they went looking for Porsche 928's for sale and found two, one was black and one was grey, they went with the grey one because it looks better on television, bought it and shipped it over only for it to have a numberplate that some idiots take to be reference to the Falkland war rather than a car sold between 1990 and 1991 in Dudley.

Surely it would be easier to just buy a personalised numberplate and stick it on?

H982 FLK would have made a lot more sense than H982 FKL which it was, H982 FLK is from a honda bike that hasn't been taxed since 1996.

I'm sure they would have taken the piss out of Maradona's hand of god or something equally silly if they had been allowed to use the "stadium" they built in Ushuaia for car football.

I agree with ejcot en argentina regarding the car. Its just too difficult to find a car, especially a classic car that would have an original number plate that reference something to do with the falklands/malvinas. And how often do you even bother to look at a number plate, I`ve own so many cars and you dont even look twice at what it could stand for.

A few things I dont understand though, is that Clarkson said he was horrified when they made the discovery of the license plate and they removed it as soon as it was discovered ie before they arrived back in Argentina. But in the second part they had a meeting with a veteran in Ushuaia and then they promised to remove the plate for the football game. Which was rejected, they were told to leave. So they hadnt removed it prior to arriving back in Argentina. Even though it was discovered whilst they were on the Chilean side or at least thats what I understood.

I dont think the protesting mob was a setup. I think all the preparation for the football game was common knowledge in the town , as people were building things for it in Ushuaia. Word would have quickly got around that Top Gear is in town to probably take the piss somehow. And the amount of damage they caused to the crews cars must have cost a bit to repair, ironically all the crew vehicles were Argentine and two of the three injuries were Argentine crew members.

Would H982 MAL mean anything to anyone in the UK? Even to vets? I think not.
(I don't know if the number exists)

It was a complete coincidence, the numberplate has been on that car since the 90's. Not only that as soon as they realised it may cause offense to some idiots, they took the plates off and replaced them with the personalised numberplate that was left in the boot by the previous owner.

Still didn't stop a moronic state sponsored group of thugs to go and attack a film crew though.

Part 2 should be good.

Yop, if three Argentines were to drive 220 km/h on British roads with one car having "Mvnas Argnts" as a license plate, they'd be welcome with hugs and kisses I'm sure.
(Or a French guy driving 130mph in a Southern US State with a sticker "Jail GWB!" = he would get into serious trouble lol. And if he's black, shot on sight)

I saw this show once, was quite funny (politically incorrect in some sort), but something was messed up here.

It's true it's a bit imperialist in this aspect (whether the team is British, French, etc. that's not the issue)

I agree with ejcot en argentina regarding the car. Its just too difficult to find a car, especially a classic car that would have an original number plate that reference something to do with the falklands/malvinas. And how often do you even bother to look at a number plate, I`ve own so many cars and you dont even look twice at what it could stand for.

A few things I dont understand though, is that Clarkson said he was horrified when they made the discovery of the license plate and they removed it as soon as it was discovered ie before they arrived back in Argentina. But in the second part they had a meeting with a veteran in Ushuaia and then they promised to remove the plate for the football game. Which was rejected, they were told to leave. So they hadnt removed it prior to arriving back in Argentina. Even though it was discovered whilst they were on the Chilean side or at least thats what I understood.

I dont think the protesting mob was a setup. I think all the preparation for the football game was common knowledge in the town , as people were building things for it in Ushuaia. Word would have quickly got around that Top Gear is in town to probably take the piss somehow. And the amount of damage they caused to the crews cars must have cost a bit to repair, ironically all the crew vehicles were Argentine and two of the three injuries were Argentine crew members.

Yeah i thought they did that too, seems they didn't probably because they'd be breaking the Argentine law by driving with the wrong number plates on the car they brought over. They did have the old H1 VAE number plates that the owner uses on his new Porsche (i presume that its the same owner) but i'm not sure the regulations about changing the registration whilst in another country. They did break this law as you can see when the car was stoned they had the H1 VAE plates on it. So it seems they changed them in Ushuaia.

0Q83rn0.jpg

Would H982 MAL mean anything to anyone in the UK? Even to vets? I think not.
(I don't know if the number exists)

I've a few friends who are fans of the show and mentioned they were coming over, They sent pictures of the cars parked in Patagonia saying how nice the scenery was, they didn't see any association of the plate with the Falklands until all the bull shit started.

Yop, if three Argentines were to drive 220 km/h on British roads with one car having "Mvnas Argnts" as a license plate, they'd be welcome with hugs and kisses I'm sure.
(Or a French guy driving 130mph in a Southern US State with a sticker "Jail GWB!" = he would get into serious trouble lol. And if he's black, shot on sight)

I saw this show once, was quite funny (politically incorrect in some sort), but something was messed up here.

It's true it's a bit imperialist in this aspect (whether the team is British, French, etc. that's not the issue)

No one would care, a few daily mail / telegraph readers would write a comment about the islands and that's about it really. Argentina's football team got fined for holding a silly banner up recently and no one cared.

Back