Top Gear Patagonia Pt1 - 27Th Dec

Yeah i thought they did that too, seems they didn't probably because they'd be breaking the Argentine law by driving with the wrong number plates on the car they brought over. They did have the old H1 VAE number plates that the owner uses on his new Porsche (i presume that its the same owner) but i'm not sure the regulations about changing the registration whilst in another country. They did break this law as you can see when the car was stoned they had the H1 VAE plates on it. So it seems they changed them in Ushuaia.

I've a few friends who are fans of the show and mentioned they were coming over, They sent pictures of the cars parked in Patagonia saying how nice the scenery was, they didn't see any association of the plate with the Falklands until all the bull shit started.

There is actually a car blog in Argentina that was following them and posting pictures of the Top Gear team before the plate was noticed. There were some 100+ comments from Argentines not one noticed the license plate, they were just either pleased to see Top Gear in Argentina or checking out the cars theyd brought with them.

Regarding the swapped plates, they must have changed the plate when in the hotel in Usuahia when they were told to leave, which kind of points the finger at the Top Gear team for saying it had been changed before they arrived in the city when they were told of the issue.

Anyway, it was all good publicity for Top Gear, and bad publicity for Argentina. Which was a shame, as they said on the film before the end Tierra del Fuego is the most beautiful place theyd ever been too.

Yop, if three Argentines were to drive 220 km/h on British roads with one car having "Mvnas Argnts" as a license plate, they'd be welcome with hugs and kisses I'm sure.
(Or a French guy driving 130mph in a Southern US State with a sticker "Jail GWB!" = he would get into serious trouble lol. And if he's black, shot on sight)

I saw this show once, was quite funny (politically incorrect in some sort), but something was messed up here.

It's true it's a bit imperialist in this aspect (whether the team is British, French, etc. that's not the issue)

I dont blaime that minority of Ushuaia locals for their response. Imagine if the tables were turned. Argentina runs the Shetland isles and also had the worlds most popular motor show (Engranaje Alto) watched by 800+ million people. Who are renowned for doing Foreign specials and taking the mickey out of the local cultures and people. The 3 Argentine presenters (Ricardo , Jeremias and Jaime) are spotted in the UK filming driving classic South America rare sports cars, and their fixers are busy arranging a game of car football in Portsmouth were the HMS Invicible last sailed from before being destroyed by an Argentine sub during the 1982 Shetlands war. The star of the show is spotted with a car with the foreign license 982 SHT.
Now are we really saying, a bunch of yobs who lived in Portsmouth would have turned up to see the stars and crew and offer them tea and scones and a pat on the back. No friggin way. They wouldnt have acted any differently to those locals in Argentina.

When you ship your Ferrari down, make sure that it doesn't have any offensive numbers on it. There's a database on that somewhere. Or if you have a vanity plate, with like "Vulture" on it you probably want to leave that in Houston.
He should stick with the original Ferrari plate. "DikHead"

Let's not forget those silly beaver hats they had on - that made me cringe

Let's not forget those silly beaver hats they had on - that made me cringe

beaver hats? Didnt see those. I thought the beaver gloves were a stroke of genius. I`m moving down to Patagonia to make my fortune manufacturing them.

Back