Tough Times Ahead?

Quote steveinbsas: "I wonder who many wannabe expats who read this (or articles like it)
will still decide to "move" to Argentina in the near future?"
Steve have you heard about the Entrepenurial spirit. Many people have come to Argentina with nothing and have made a very successful life for themselves.
Argentina welcomes overseas immigrants better than most countries in this world. The best example were the Irish who emmigrated here in Droves in the 19th Century . They built up the most successful irish community in the world at the time and they were fully integrated into the society unlike many other places like United States and Australia where they were looked down upon.
My own father when he moved to Australia in the 1950s had 50 pounds in his pocket and no family . He like thousands of other greek immigrants created a successsful life for themeselves.
Argentina is a very special country all it requires is patience and drive. If you have those qualities it welcomes you with open arms.

"pericles" said:
Argentina welcomes overseas immigrants better than most countries in this world. The best example were the Irish who emmigrated here in Droves in the 19th Century . They built up the most successful irish community in the world at the time and they were fully integrated into the society unlike many other places like United States and Australia where they were looked down upon.
'Droves' - really? I understood it was a handful of sheep farmers from the Midlands that were at the time nationally British. - where did you hear your version of history? is there book you have?

"pericles" said:
Quote steveinbsas: "I wonder who many wannabe expats who read this (or articles like it)
will still decide to "move" to Argentina in the near future?"
Steve have you heard about the Entrepenurial spirit. Many people have come to Argentina with nothing and have made a very successful life for themselves.
My own father when he moved to Australia in the 1950s had 50 pounds in his pocket and no family . He like thousands of other greek immigrants created a successsful life for themeselves.
Argentina is a very special country all it requires is patience and drive. If you have those qualities it welcomes you with open arms.
Pericles, Did you mean to ask if I have heard about the "Entrepreneurial spirit?"My post, which started this thread,
referred to an article linked to this forum by the moderator, and, as
you noted, I posed the question:"I wonder who many wannabe expats who read this (or articles like it)
will still decide to "move" to Argentina in the near future?"The
article itself cites the "the government's tendency to misreport
inflation data." and follows with: "Such behavior scares away
potential foreign capital investors and increases interest rates and premiums on Argentina’s debt."

Do you disagree? If so, please elaborate.

Foreign capital investors are the "entrepreneurs" that really matter.
In your opinion, how many individual expats who are the typical readers
of this forum do you think are now coming to Argentina as
entrepreneurs? The the post preceding yours (by mini) included
the following sentence: "We will be there in October for a local
contract on a local salary." These are the "soon to be" expats
that may be in for a rude awakening as they will undoubtedly encounter
"tough times ahead" to some degree as they try to make ends meet on a
local salary. It will be certainly be "tough" enough for them and many
other expats, as well as "middle class" Argentines if the trends of the
past two years continue for the next two.Please correct me if I am wrong, but it doesn't appear that many expats come here as entrepreneurs. Teaching English isn't really entrepreneurial,
and neither is buying an apartment to rent to tourists (migraciones
doesn't think so, either). Aren't these by far the two most common
expat "business" endeavors here? The few who open restaurants and bars
and other small businesses comprise only a small percentage of the
expat population. If you include immigrants (expats) from other South
American counties, that figure would be negligible.

The article also noted: "Argentina, much like the U.S., attracts migrant workers from the rest
of Latin America. Thus, a downturn of the economy there is likely to increase the number of immigrants seeking to enter the U.S. instead.

The story of you father immigrating to Australia is inspiring, but how
does that apply to life in Argentina, then or now, and how are
immigration trends of the 19th century relevant to what's happening in
Argentina today?

"Many people have come to Argentina with nothing and have made a very successful life for themselves."Do
you think this is possible today? Do you think any expats are
currently arriving from Europe or North America with nothing? The
reality is that the later stand a greater chance to leave Argentina
with less than they had when they arrived, after their savings have
been eroded by the unexpected increases in the cost of living while
they were here.

As you have asked the question, I will get back to you later regarding my own "entrepreneurial spirit."

Pericles, I wish more people here had the same attitude regarding entrepenurial spirit. In my mind the big difference Latin America and places like Australia, North America, etc. is that when people immigrated there it was develop the country. Here too often the original settlers (i.e. the Spanish) came not to develop but to exploit. This is the source of many of the problems still evident here in Argentina and across the continent. In a few places here like Chile, Brazil, and Uruguay(to a lesser extent) seem to be moving beyond the past to a brighter future. Unfortunately it's hard to see Argentina on this same road with the current government who ideas and policies seemed locked firmly in the past. This is the source of my doubts and those of the press for the near term outlook on Argentina. There is no reason Argentina can not be a successful and rich country as you predict. The only thing standing in the way is the lack of for good leadership, something people have not seen much of here in the last 50 years. Until that happens Argentina will likely continue its historic boom bust cycles, with things getting gradually worse as they have for the last 100 years

The main problem of Argentina are the 38.000.000 people that live there, but that keeps things interesting

Back