Tourist attacked in Palermo

I walk past this esquina literally every single day, often with multiple phones or a shoulder bag with a computer, many times at night or early morning when relatively empty. Really surprised this happened here, I felt invincible.

I guess I’ll be more careful. Seems like they picked on the this Uruguayo due to him looking pretty young and small-ish.

Same with the banda of robbers from Chile going nuts robbing everyone in Las Cañitas. Never had any problem.

I always tell people I feel much safer in Buenos Aires than Los Ángeles or San Francisco, where I have to be careful with mentally ill homes, armed robbers, and over zealous police who don’t like the way I look.
I think this is a really good and important take. It’s also not about victim blaming as much as it is about adapting your behaviour, or in this case attire, to the environment. I would wear my nice watch in my hometown but no way would I wear it in London nor Buenos Aires. That’s simply due to the increased risk of wearing such an item, and I’d rather lower the consequences of it.

I would echo that I feel safer in Palermo than most of the UK, but there will still be pockets of crime. Unless we’re comparing like for like reliable statistics then all such cases are anecdotal or conjectural.

All in all, Palermo is safer than most places Ive ever visited, anecdotally from my experience, but reasonable precautions should still be taken.

You can be robbed anywhere in the world, and it sucks (I know I had my iPhone stolen here), whilst you can’t avoid it you should adjust your behaviour to the environment and that’s simply a sad reality of life

Back