Tourist killed in Plaza San Martin

captainmcd said:
I disagree with the premise that inequality is the cause of violent crime. I think it is just an excuse. I have walked into some desparately poor places in India, where they would consider a villa to be a great improvement over their spot on a sewer lined street, but they are friendly and willing to talk about their condition. Being poor does not give anyone the right to take things from others and worse to kill them. One of the basic human rights is the right to be protected from violent assaults.

I never said that it gave anyone the right to kill. What I said is that a poor person who is, 1) demonized for being poor, 2) lives in a place where the difference between haves and havenots is stark (inequality), and 3) has very few opportunities to succeed, are all elements that lead to resentment and hatred. That resentment and hatred can in turn cause acts like these.

It's no coincidence that the most unequal cities/countries in the world are also some of the most violent.

I was walking down Cordoba going past Facultad de Medicina three weeks ago at around 9.30pm when two thugs jumped in front & demanded money from me. I resisted. Very silly of me I know...I spun around & grabbed my side pocket in such a way that they were caught by surprise....end result was them running down Cordoba ...I was so mad I wanted to go after them but common sense prevailed & so I tried to look for the cops to go after them...no police around..went home very angry.

It breaks my heart to think of this poor guy's relatives back home in France. My thoughts are with them too.

I can't think of all the people that I've talked to around that area. Specifically the time some guy asked me for change and then pulled a knife out of his boot when I told him "vayas a la mierda!". Luckily I was so drunk I chased him away, with his knife.

notebook.fix said:
I was walking down Cordoba going past Facultad de Medicina three weeks ago at around 9.30pm when two thugs jumped in front & demanded money from me. I resisted. Very silly of me I know...I spun around & grabbed my side pocket in such a way that they were caught by surprise....end result was them running down Cordoba ...I was so mad I wanted to go after them but common sense prevailed & so I tried to look for the cops to go after them...no police around..went home very angry.

It breaks my heart to think of this poor guy's relatives back home in France. My thoughts are with them too.

If you were on the Facultad de Medicina side of Cordoba you were technically in Recoleta and this is one of the most dangerous areas of Recoleta at night. I often exited the subte there during the day, but never at night. Once I did walk home from visiting a friend on the other side of Cordoba after 10 PM and I was amazed how deserted the area was..except for those "camping" in the park next to the Facultdad de Mediciana. This park also has a "memorial" to hundreds of doctors, nurses, and medical students who dissapeared during the "Drty War" of the late 70's and early 80's.

I think it's time to seriously consider promoting an "international tourist boycott" of the city of Buenos Aires.

I don't advocate a boycott of Argentina, but (for example) I wouldn't visit NYC in the 1070's. In that decade I traveled safely throughout the USA, but the thought of spending time in NYC was not appealing. Things have changed a lot in NYC since then.

Obvioulsy, Macri is no Giuliani.

steveinbsas said:
I don't advocate a boycott of Argentina, but (for example) I wouldn't visit NYC in the 1070's. In that decade I traveled safely throughout the USA, but the thought of spending time in NYC was not appealing. Things have changes a lot in NYC since then.

Yeah, it's amazing how much things can change in 940 years. How old are you exactly?

(Sorry. It's obviously just a typo, but I couldn't resist. ;))

steveinbsas said:

Does Macri have the same power Giuliani did? I was under the impression the federal government had all the power in Argentina

scotttswan said:
Does Macri have the same power Giuliani did? I was under the impression the federal government had all the power in Argentina

Excellent question!

And here's another: If the tourists stop coming, does anyone actually think that the crime rate in BA will decline...or just increase against the "native" population?

I have previously posted about an elderly Argentine man who was killed during a robbery in the 900 block of Aranales (also in Retiro though some think it is part of Recoleta).

Where I now live I only worry about the neighbors' livestock wandering onto my property in search of a free lunch (actually a midnight snack).

Cretina controls la policia federal in the capital...so...all those road blocks & demos are allowed cause the Ks give it the quiet nod..now Kirchner is pulling out the federal police from the Subtes & also from the futbol stadiums...no more federal police to control the soccer hooligans on those big games any more. This is all happening at once, orchestrated by the Feds in a campaign against Macri.

I'm not defending Macri, I'm just pointing out what many miss. The Metro police is way too small & cannot possibly suddenly replace the federal police & Christina & mafia know it.
Who cares about the citizens in the CABA? Not the feds. Anything goes when it comes to vandalizing your political enemy's home turf (capital).

This is all before we start talking about local crime & common law enforcement by the Federally controlled policia federal...imagine how much incentive the National K gov would have to make Macri's back yard look tidy & orderly? not much I say...there you have it...if you wonder why it's getting worse in the Capital federal.

scotttswan said:

Empshel said:
Yeah, it's amazing how much things can change in 940 years. How old are you exactly?

(Sorry. It's obviously just a typo, but I couldn't resist. ;))

Too old to do the math. :D

Hi Steve, yes & I was distracted enough to walk on the side of the park , under the trees,,,very silly of me but I soon learned...the place is a no go area in the night.
I dress & look like a local..heck I was born here...but still...they'll come after locals & just imagine what it's like when they see a poor tourist wondering around.

Often I stop tourists on the street & politely remind them that it may be wise to carry all their stuff on the front rather than the back...not to carry their laptops in laptop bags, not to show expensive camera equipment, I caution people about the subway thieves etc etc...here I am almost becoming a victim...you just have to be aware all the time..never let your guard down. So far so good for me.

YEs I started talking about boycotting Argentina more than two years ago. Sorry if it sounds extreme but I agree it may be time to start warning people.

A video of those terrible moments this morning...notice how there are plenty of people around...a false sense of security.
http://tn.com.ar/policiales/00081945/las-imagenes-del-asesinato-del-turista-frances

steveinbsas said:
If you were on the Facultad de Medicina side of Cordoba you were technically in Recoleta and this is one of the most dangerous areas of Recoleta at night. I often exited the subte there during the day, but never at night. Once I did walk home from visiting a friend on the other side of Cordoba after 10 PM and I was amazed how deserted the area was..except for those "camping" in the park next to the Facultdad de Mediciana. This park also has a "memorial" to hundreds of doctors, nurses, and medical students who dissapeared during the "Drty War" of the late 70's and early 80's.

I think it's time to seriously consider promoting an "international tourist boycott" of the city of Buenos Aires.

I don't advocate a boycott of Argentina, but (for example) I wouldn't visit NYC in the 1070's. In that decade I traveled safely throughout the USA, but the thought of spending time in NYC was not appealing. Things have changed a lot in NYC since then.

Back