Tourist killed in Plaza San Martin

serranita said:
On another hand Spinetta was not just a rock singer for the Argentine public, he was a poet, and a pacifist with a strong message of spirituality, unity and love, an example to his public. This is something this community craves due to its long history of violences and social tension. I understand that maybe the media should not prioritize it as news, but I do think its possitive that he be so kindly remembered, because it also shows how many of us value what he represented.

Thank you. I did not know much about him or his values,

I hope I can learn more about him.

I still might not like his abilities as a singer. For example, not everyone likes Frank Sinatra as a singer as much as I do, but I did not admire Frank Sintra's personal values as much as his abilities as a singer.

I hope the opposite is true about el Flaco...and that he is an advocate of free market capitalism.

I am sorry that this is so far off the topic.

bradlyhale said:
Whenever I first came to Buenos Aires in 2008, I did some short-term volunteering in the villas. We helped the kids with homework or colored up coloring books. Anyway, from my perspective the vast majority of the people in the villas are hardworking, honest folks. I never visited Villa 31, but I was in other villas like Ciudad Oculta or Villa Soldati. They may not have a lot of stuff, but they do have the same hopes and dreams as everyone else.

If Villa 31 shouldn't even be there, where should these people go? There really isn't an easy solution. If the government tries to help these people get ahead, then everyone comes out to complain that their taxes are going to a bunch of "lazy people" and "imigrantes negros de mi*rda". (Read the comment sections on Clarin.com, Infobae, etc.) If the government does nothing to help these people, everyone is shocked when one of them -- likely unemployed, no education, etc. -- decides to steal or kill. The government is damned if it does, damned if it doesn't.

i dont agree with you at all.. you need to do more research before you post.

I think bradyhale means well, but I also feel that he is missing the point, no offense.

Imagine New York city with many villa 31s.

If you are a New Yorker, you wouldn't like it...no matter what your political leanings.
The more you accommodate people with free space & welfare plans.....the more attractive you make it for PEOPLE in other regions AND COUNTRIES to pack their bags & flock here!!! Why is this fact so hard for some to understand?

Would it be feeding the fire if local authorities were to provide free education, free space to live, free medical treatment etc etc??????

Simple maths! - But just talking about this is not 'politically correct' & the thought police will pounce on anyone who dares to ask the hard questions....to all those who cry discrimination & racism ...just try to imagine your own home city being invaded by people from outside...with different accents...taking over empty buildings & parks...imagine seeing your own city slowly growing slums in all it's corners....imagine what would happen if the New York mayor started to give free land/housing to outsiders as some commentators here seem to suggest we should do? Feed, clothe, house & educate all who walk in.... WHAT Would New Yorkers think? would all those who have to work hard to put a roof over their own heads like to see such generosity ????

Last time I was down in Rio Gallegos, Santa Cruz- it really stood out just how strict their local authorities are in checking who comes in and out of their borders....and yet the K power base that rule this country from down there don't seem to care at all about what the effects of a massive population inflow is doing to this city that is already tearing at the seams, the local infrastructure is not able to cope. The seeds of future misery & crime are being planted for Capital Federal.

And back to the topic...a poor soul was murdered in an area near villa 31 today. ANYONE here knows full well what happens around villas. My heart goes out to his family & friends tonight. He was only paying this country a compliment by visiting & taking pictures.

Quaho said:

notebook.fix said:
..Imagine New York city with many villa 31s...
I think they called them Hoovervilles

notebook.fix said:
..imagine what would happen if the New York mayor started to give free land/housing to outsiders as some commentators here seem to suggest we should do? Feed, clothe, house & educate all who walk in...

How does that poem go, again? Ah yes:
"Give me your tired, your poor
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free",

I understand what you are saying but I think you picked a bad example.

Quaho said:

Well, I do appreciate your attempt to enlighten me. :rolleyes:

"300 studies on the class distribution of crime show that lower-class adults and juveniles commit crime at a higher rate than middle-class adults and juveniles. Finally, the review indicated that there is a reasonable basis in partially tested theory for predicting that a reduction of inequality of wealth and power would lessen the incidence of those types of crimes typically handled by the police."
- J Braithwaite, "Inequality, Crime, and Public Policy"

The research is not conclusive (science never is), but it is overwhelming.

notebook.fix said:
....imagine what would happen if the New York mayor started to give free land/housing to outsiders as some commentators here seem to suggest we should do? Feed, clothe, house & educate all who walk in.... WHAT Would New Yorkers think? would all those who have to work hard to put a roof over their own heads like to see such generosity ????

What if we were talking about children? There are many children who live in the villas who do not have parents. When I was volunteering, we were strictly told not to ask a child about her/his parents. Should we feed them? Give them clothes? Educate them? House them?

It is very complicated, but ultimately I think humanity should win.

I sent Macri a tweet to ask him about this. Maybe if more people message him as well he might comment on the situation?

Back