Tourist killed in Plaza San Martin

marksoc said:
No. They live there, is their land. The villa 31 is not new, is older than myself. Why poor people should live in the outskirts of the city? Build their houses exactly where they are now. And not by any "international contractors", by the State. Are you worried about poor people receiving something "they did not earn"? As if they were guilty of being poor.

Welcome to the 21th Century, the Century of Man, where each person has rights only because he/she exists.

Their land??? It is my land! I pay taxes and cannot afford to buy property. Is it ok to take over whatever property you can find? I don't think so!

chris said:
This is so terribly poignant. He dies as people stand by and just look. The assailant walks away. It could happen to any one of us. Never forget that.

I am unclear about how they got the video:

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1447068-mataron-a-un-fotografo-frances-en-plaza-san-martin

The city govt has set security cams in the park, that is how the got the video. I believe people do not attempt to help the man because they think it is some scam and they will get robbed if they do... indeed sad in so many different ways.

At least this incident isn't being swept under the rug. :( It was on the front page of Clarin and I heard it on the radio as well. While the musician's death is historical and gets first mention, the people of Buenos Aires are just as saddened and shocked by this news as the expat community.

Hopefully things start to change.

I have relatives coming in next week for our wedding... and although they won't be staying in that particular area, I can't help but worry a bit for their safety despite taking precautions. One shouldn't have to feel that way about visiting a foreign land.

Just for info ,but two locals gave chase to catch one of the guys according to TN.Locals are shocked and consider it a shame fo BA.
My heart goes out to the family of the unfortunate man .

bradlyhale said:
This documentary film addresses inequality, and its effects (crime, life expectancy, etc) on people.
Bradley, I think you are missing the cause in blaming inequality as the cause of crime. Your use of U.S. crime rates in the roaring 20's as opposed by the Great Depression in the 30's was probably the crime of making, buying, selling, and drinking of alcoholic beverages, which was made leagal during the depression.
I feel sorry for anyone who lives in a villa, those thugs who rob and murder cause more distress for them than for tourists. It is they who are to blame, and in any civilized society they need to be held accountable for their crimes.

marksoc said:
No. They live there, is their land. The villa 31 is not new, is older than myself. Why poor people should live in the outskirts of the city? Build their houses exactly where they are now. And not by any "international contractors", by the State. Are you worried about poor people receiving something "they did not earn"? As if they were guilty of being poor.

Welcome to the 21th Century, the Century of Man, where each person has rights only because he/she exists.

This is populism at its best ! :S
A mayority of ppl in villas are immigrants brought by the thousands by the K administration....more poor state dependend people = more votes .....they politicians, specially kirchneristas profit from poverty and they encourage it and make sure it´s always growing.
It´s not their land ! Bullshit !!!! ppl that is not of this country should not be allowed in unless they have a purpose and a plan (aducation, a carreer, etc). There´s so much local problems and poverty not being addressed and the last thing we need is problems and poverty from abroad, whichever country they come from.
Villas should be erradicated, it´s not "humanitarian" to maintain them, they should be erradicated and its population be relocated accordingly. If you come from another province, go back there with a housing and a job plan and if you come from a different country and dont have papers, sent back to their home country. the villa, tore down !!!!
You are kirchnerista, and as every other one out there, you are in love with this regime......in your book, how do you explain all this misery and poverty all these new villas popping out all over the country....is this actually what the hole plan is ?? after all, it is their right and also their land and if they happen to commit a crime, it´s also their right i guess !!
-Juan

Think South Bronx. Don't know if it's still like Villa 31 but it used to be worse.

notebook.fix said:
I think bradyhale means well, but I also feel that he is missing the point, no offense.

Imagine New York city with many villa 31s.

If you are a New Yorker, you wouldn't like it...no matter what your political leanings.
The more you accommodate people with free space & welfare plans.....the more attractive you make it for PEOPLE in other regions AND COUNTRIES to pack their bags & flock here!!! Why is this fact so hard for some to understand?

captainmcd said:
Bradley, I think you are missing the cause in blaming inequality as the cause of crime.

It's not really my opinion. Various studies have concluded that many social ills are a result of socioeconomic inequality. People who live in more equal societies are healthier both mentally and physically, less violent, more educated, etc., etc.

violence.gif

The U.S. is about as unequal as Argentina (Gini coefficient), and intentional homicide rates are nearly the same.

Gringoboy said:
Saturday or even Sunday at 1300, plaza San Martin to pay our respects peacefully.
Please let me know.
Thanks.

That's very nice Gringoboy. Unfortunately I'll be in the San Luis province saturday until tuesday. (Good luck to Wales in the 6N btw!).

Back