Tourist Tax Return In Chile

cuore

Registered
Hi everyone
So I just returned from a weekend in Chile and some friends told me that I can get a refund of the IVA from the hotel
I asked at the airport and they told me I have to do that at the local consulate which just doesn't sound right.
Anybody knows how to do it?

Thanks!!!

Hi everyone
So I just returned from a weekend in Chile and some friends told me that I can get a refund of the IVA from the hotel
I asked at the airport and they told me I have to do that at the local consulate which just doesn't sound right.
Anybody knows how to do it?

Thanks!!!

If you pay in dollars or foreign credit card, they deduct the 17 percent IVA on the spot, if you're a legit foreign visitor. Unlike Argentina, they don't overcharge tourists for services. If you have a hotel package, they'll even deduct from the meals you eat. Uruguay does something similar, can't recall details except seeing a discount on my restaurant bill.

If you pay in dollars or foreign credit card, they deduct the 17 percent IVA on the spot, if you're a legit foreign visitor. Unlike Argentina, they don't overcharge tourists for services. If you have a hotel package, they'll even deduct from the meals you eat. Uruguay does something similar, can't recall details except seeing a discount on my restaurant bill.

Not the case but thank you. We actually paid in cash with Chilean Pesos

Back