Afip Raises Tourist Credit Card Tax To 35%

ARbound

Registered
its typical, we`ve just booked up a weeks break in florida. Just waiting to see what the argentine credit card company is going to add to our bill as we`re paying in 12 installments. It could turn out to be an expensive trip at this rate if they start adding this tax on each installment.

its also added to the purchase of dollars , if you are lucky enough to get any authorized by AFIP

It's a boon to the all inclusive package holiday vendors unfortunately. Pay for your 2 weeks up front, suck up the charge by spreading it in quotas and eat nothing but what you are offered for the 2 weeks.

They're so primitive, the cepo has had the opposite effect of what they were originally trying to do.. no more tourist dollars entering the central bank of Argentina, all going to the black market because of the blue rate.. so they have to make up for this by stopping locals spending abroad.
Would be interesting to see what would happen now if they removed the cepo.

So in other words they're trying the exact same policies that they've been trying for the last couple of years, policies that have failed over and over...

Somebody needs to do tests on these politicians to see how many times they try to put the square shaped block into a circular hole!

I guess I am extremely lucky this happened today and not last week -- thursday afternoon I had to buy an emergency ticket home for that night, of course American quoted as 1550 and then when I put in my Argentine card details it jumped to almost 1800. I almost didn't get on the flight because of the stupid K system -- my ticket was just sitting there pending pending pending, I called American they said the problem was with the additional charge that Argentine cards have to go through an additional step blah blah blah but they were powerless to push through. Fortunately the ticket went through 5 mins before we had to leave the house.

However, I'm now curious as to what happens... will be telling my husband to check the bill, you know how sometimes it takes a few additional days to appear on your card? I don't think they can up the amount now however...

Back