tourist visa not renewed in Colonia!

Kirst

Registered
Guys, some advise urgently anyone

I went to Puerto Madero immigrations this morning to renew the 90 day tourist visa as I thought the 90 days were up in 2 days time having been in Uruguay on 25th November.

To my horror, they said they cant renew my visa becuase in Uruguay they had only given me 3 days extension on the 25th November! I hadnt realised and have technically been illegal since 28th November. In P Madero this morning, they said to go to Uruguay tomorrow as they cant do anything. I had no idea customs in Uruguay had only given me 3 days instead of the usual 90 which I have managed to get without any problems twice before! I stupidly hadnt even checked my passport after the stamp because the man said nothing to me!

I am now panicking about my trip to Uruguay tomorrow that the same thing is going to happen, ie i get only 3 days or even less when coming back into Argentina, and then if I try to go to P Madero again on Thursday, they wont give me a 90 day visa because of being illegal for 3 months here!

Any advice PLEASE HELP!!!

__._,_.___

If you are over your alotted 90 days and they find out (which they usually do) all you have to do is head over to immigration (in the Buque Bus station or Airport) and pay a fine before hopping on the boat. This is Argentina, there is a monetary solution to every bureaucratic problem.

Nothing to worry about.
J

Thankyou for the reassurance although my worry is not about paying the fine!

My worry is about getting another 90 tourist visa to come back into BsAs and I doubt it will be as easy going in P Madero Immigrations and offering some cash across the counter!

Had you previously renewed your visa at Migraciones (prior to going to Colonia in November)? If so, when you went to Colonia, the immigration officer there COULD NOT give you a stamp for longer than the previous stamp given at migraciones.

In essence - you go to migraciones august 28th and receive a stamp valid until nov 28

You leave nov 25 to Uruguay but because your previous stamp was issued by migraciones, you can only get 3 days when you return (as the dates issued by migraciones can't be overriden)

I've never heard of any other circumstance in which you would have had a 3 day entry stamp given by Argentine migraciones. That seems quite strange.

Citygirl, yes I have been to Immigrations in PM before, twice before I think. I knew you could go there although not twice in a row. I had no idea it couldnt be overriden! Now I realise why the 3 days.

Am I going to have a problem in getting the 90 days visa tomorrow though?!!

Maybe you should be prepared for not getting back in - Or, you could just not leave and could overstay. Or am I misunderstanding and you are already across the border in Uruguay?

I am in BsAs and supposed to be going to Uruguay tomorrow for the day to try to get the visa! Now I am really panicking!

Hi!

First don't panick, you'll find here useful advices, you're not alone & enforcement of migration rules is not the same as in the NH.

Second : what are/were you plans about your stay in Argentina :
. How long do you intend to stay ?
. Do you need/wish to travel abroad while you'll be staying here ?

If you intend to leave, let's say, in 6 months then go nowhere and stay under the radar, nodoby will come after you.

Now if you go to Colonia, there are chances they would issue again a 90 days visa, otherwise they would have to initiate the procedure mentionned elsewhere in this forum (will the officer bother with that?). Of course, for the stamp, go to a male officer with your nicest smile and a "hola como estas?!".
Eventually, if he asks you what's the purpose of your stay tell "turismo, pero he encontrado a un novio Argentino" or something like this (not sure this could help, but well, male solidarity playing, maybe will he be smoother).

Last, having repeated 90 days visas doesn't make you much more legal than having none since you are disvirtuing the purpose of your stay. (but that has been said many times before, sorry for the repeat).

Good luck

jenh said:
Maybe you should be prepared for not getting back in - Or, you could just not leave and could overstay. Or am I misunderstanding and you are already across the border in Uruguay?

My guess is that at worse they would let her back in but they would have to launch the procedure mentionned in this forum (didn't search where).

To the OP : if you go to Uruguay, have a lawyer's phone number ready just in case.

citygirl said:
I've never heard of any other circumstance in which you would have had a 3 day entry stamp given by Argentine migraciones. That seems quite strange.

With all my respect. this isn´t strange, it is the enforcement of the new law (decreto 616-2010).
In fact she was lucky, they might deny her entry.

DO NOT GO TO URUGUAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because they might deny your entry.

To do the "Gran Colonia" or to stay irregular is the same with the new law.

If you plan to live here I suggest you apply for citizenship, send me a PM for further info. And read this thread:

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/10837-argentine-citizenship-foreigners.html

Regards

Back