Tourist visa renewal and renewal and renewal....

Status
Not open for further replies.
mopo said:
I didn't know that Steveinbsas. So what i have to do is go to Migration office and they will extend my visa without any problem (it will be the first time!!)?

It will be the first time you have requested the prorrogas de permanencia at the office in Argentina, but all the stamps in your passport clearly show what you have been doing. I've been told that it isn't "legal" FOR FOREIGNERS to be here more than six months per year. While it's obvious that migraciones hasn't been strict about enforcing that regulation with those who are going back and forth to Uruguay twice a year (in your case four times per year?), they could just as easily say no to the 90 day extension here.

Stanexpat said:
A tourist visa is valid for a short stay for the purpose of tourism. It's not valid for the purpose of living in Argentina as a resident. Given this they could deny a renewal and not allow you entry to the country. A lot of people think they are legal by getting the 90 tourist renewal, they aren't.

If they decide to enforce the rules you would have a problem. I don't know how likely this is.

Stan is right about the purpose of the tourist visa, but it IS perfectly legal to get the 90 day extension at office of immigration in Puerto Madera, at least once in a one year period. Apparently, not so many know of this option.

Perhaps it isn't legal to leave the country after those six months only to reenter immediately on another tourist visa, but it obviously continues to be done on a regular basis.

Does anyone know what the fine is for my already expired tourist visa? I tried to get it renewed in Puerto Madero after 90 days as forgot how long i'd been here and they said i should go to Uruguay.

Fettucini said:
Does anyone know what the fine is for my already expired tourist visa? I tried to get it renewed in Puerto Madero after 90 days as forgot how long i'd been here and they said i should go to Uruguay.

50 pesos. The fact that migraciones told you to go to Uruguay says it all!

Obviously, there is no crackdown.

The member who started this thread probably got questioned because so many trips to Uruguay might have made him smell like freshly laundered money!

Lee said:
I wish that someone who can read Spanish would go to the official government website and read if this is in fact stated. I know for a fact that is is 6 months in Brazil but I have never read the 6 month rule for Argentina.

I couldn't find it on the site (that doesn't mean it isn't there), but the person who has gone to migraciones with me will ask them in an email.

I would appreciate knowing if anyone who has gone to get the 90 day extension twice in one year has had any problems. Even if it is the law, it looks like it isn't being enforced...as long as you leave every six months...if only to return later the same day.

I was told the law states that ALL visas must be applied for outside of Argentina, but I applied for and received my resident visa without leaving Buenos Aires.

ok, the law says you can extend you r tourist visa for a 3 month period ( twice ) This is only for US citizens though.

ESTADOS UNIDOS DE AMÉRICA
(Disposición DNM N° 2.356/96 aprobada por Disposición 124/96 del Subsecretario de
Población, del 16/07/96).
"Autorízase el ingreso al territorio nacional en la categoría prevista en el inciso "f" del
Artículo 29 del Reglamento aprobado por el Decreto Nº 1.023/94, a las personas
con pasaporte de los Estados Unidos de América, que declaren ante la autoridad migratoria,
en oportunidad de su arribo al país, su condición de empresarios u hombres de negocios"
(Art. 1°).
"A las personas que se presenten en las condiciones mencionadas en el artículo precedente,
la autoridad migratoria intervendrá al ingreso sus respectivos pasaportes, asentando la
categoría migratoria y un plazo original de permanencia autorizada de TRES (3) meses,
prorrogables por otro término igual" (Art. 2°).
"El presente régimen es de carácter facultativo para los ciudadanos con pasaporte de los
Estados Unidos de América, quienes podrán optar por el general previsto en el inciso "g"
de la Disposición DNM 0001/94, con el previo cumplimiento ante la autoridad consular argentina
de las condiciones establecidas en la Disposición DNM 0002/94" (Art. 3°).

nikad said:
ok, the law says you can extend you r tourist visa for a 3 month period ( twice ) This is only for US citizens though.

ESTADOS UNIDOS DE AMÉRICA
(Disposición DNM N° 2.356/96 aprobada por Disposición 124/96 del Subsecretario de
Población, del 16/07/96).
"Autorízase el ingreso al territorio nacional en la categoría prevista en el inciso "f" del
Artículo 29 del Reglamento aprobado por el Decreto Nº 1.023/94, a las personas
con pasaporte de los Estados Unidos de América, que declaren ante la autoridad migratoria,
en oportunidad de su arribo al país, su condición de empresarios u hombres de negocios"
(Art. 1°).
"A las personas que se presenten en las condiciones mencionadas en el artículo precedente,
la autoridad migratoria intervendrá al ingreso sus respectivos pasaportes, asentando la
categoría migratoria y un plazo original de permanencia autorizada de TRES (3) meses,
prorrogables por otro término igual" (Art. 2°).
"El presente régimen es de carácter facultativo para los ciudadanos con pasaporte de los
Estados Unidos de América, quienes podrán optar por el general previsto en el inciso "g"
de la Disposición DNM 0001/94, con el previo cumplimiento ante la autoridad consular argentina
de las condiciones establecidas en la Disposición DNM 0002/94" (Art. 3°).

This applies to those here with business visas (condición de empresarios u hombres de negocios) which must be granted before they arrive and indeed indicates they can renew twice, but I don't see how this applies to individuals here on a 90 day tourist visa.

steveinbsas said:
This applies to those here with business visas (condición de empresarios u hombres de negocios) which must be granted before they arrive and indeed indicates they can renew twice, but I don't see how this applies to individuals here on a 90 day tourist visa.
duh, you are right, I missed a few words :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back