Tourist Visa Renewal Help!

A general note on this as I recently renewed my tourist visa at Dirección Nacional De Migraciones and asked a bunch of questions while there.

Firstly, the lady there said that if you leave Argentina and come back during your first 3 months that that is fine (absolutely no problem) and you can stay a further 3 months. After these 6 months you have to do a visa extension which would allow you to stay for a further 3 months, giving you a maximum total of 9 months (the now costs 2500 pesos).

If you stay for 3 months and then renew your visa for a further 3 months that's your other option which would give you a maximum of 6 months. If you've already paid for your visa extension you cannot leave the country and come back to get a further 3 months.

This is GREAT information!

If what you were told is TRUE (and will be consistently applied in the future) then it makes PERFECT SENSE (for those who wish to stay legally" for nine "consecutive months) to make the "visa run" to Uruguay just prior (ten days or less) to expiration of the 90 day "tourist visa" granted upon entry into the country and then get the prorroga de permanencia just prior (ten days or less) to the expiration of the second 90 day visa.

The one caveat I would add is that this may not apply to those who were required to obtain a tourist visa in their home countries prior to arriving in Argentina as they may not be able to get a new/second 90 day visa by going to Uruguay for a day. For the rest it is very good news. Of course there is always the "option" to overstay (even after nine months) as often suggested by BC2.

And the question remains: "What will happen if, after having made one visa run and then getting the prorroga, what will happen if I try to make another visa run prior to the expiration of the prorroga?

PS: It would also be extremely helpful if this can be confirmed by Dr. Rubilar, assuming he is in a position to know.

Last edited:
This is GREAT information!
If what you were told is TRUE (and will be consistently applied in the future) then it makes PERFECT SENSE (for those who wish to stay legally" for nine "consecutive months) to make the "visa run" to Uruguay just prior (ten days or less) to expiration of the 90 day "tourist visa" granted upon entry into the country and then get the prorroga de permanencia just prior (ten days or less) to the expiration of the second 90 day visa.
Allow me to add another complicated situation to this tortured subject of tourist visa renewal, looking for advice. On 5 February I entered on a tourist visa, stayed about 10 days, departed and returned to Bs again late March. When I returned Customs stamped "3 Meses" over the original entry of 5 February. So as I read it the clock ticking on a renewal / extension by 4 May. Meanwhile I have applied through the Radex website for temporary residence 1 year. The website application and the required follow up docs will be completed 22 April. There is no indication of when the next steps (like an appointment) might occur. Do not want to imperil the temp residency application. What would be the best way to renew / extend the tourist visa before or on 4 May?

Allow me to add another complicated situation to this tortured subject of tourist visa renewal, looking for advice. On 5 February I entered on a tourist visa, stayed about 10 days, departed and returned to Bs again late March. When I returned Customs stamped "3 Meses" over the original entry of 5 February. So as I read it the clock ticking on a renewal / extension by 4 May. Meanwhile I have applied through the Radex website for temporary residence 1 year. The website application and the required follow up docs will be completed 22 April. There is no indication of when the next steps (like an appointment) might occur. Do not want to imperil the temp residency application. What would be the best way to renew / extend the tourist visa before or on 4 May?

If the 90 day tourist visa you received on 5 February was your first in at least a year, and you haven't done so already, you can go to the office of migraciones before the 90th day (include 5 Feb as day one) and ask for a prorroga de permanencia (90 day extension).

You probably should mention that you have already started the tramite on line for temporary residency. They should be able to verify this on line.

If they don't give you a prorroga, an overstay shouldn't affect your application for temporary residency. It hasn't in the past, but who knows today?

PS: If I was in your shoes (and I once was), I'd go ahead and try to get the prorroga.

In my opinion, spending less than $20 dollars is a very inexpensive way to say "I am abiding with the laws."

Last edited:
If the 90 day tourist visa you received on 5 February was your first in at least a year, and you haven't done so already, you can go to the office of migraciones before the 90th day (include 5 Feb as day one) and ask for a prorroga de permanencia (90 day extension).
You probably should mention that you have already started the tramite on line for temporary residency. They should be able to verify this on line.
If they don't give you a prorroga, an overstay shouldn't affect your application for temporary residency. It hasn't in the past, but who knows today?
PS: If I was in your shoes (and I once was), I'd go ahead and try to get the prorroga.
In my opinion, spending less than $20 dollars is a very inexpensive way to say "I am abiding with the laws."
Many thanks the reply and the excellent procedures advice. Really covers all contingencies.
Before I read your reply I spent another memorable morning, starting even earlier before Immigraciones opens. My god the line to get into the lines was 2 blocks long at 6:45 a.m.. I beat my former wait time record, only 2 1/2 hours once inside the building and into the line to get to the Informes desk.
The good news at the information desk was, as you noted, they can look you up see that you're confirmed in the Radex application system. Per the rep, you're automatically extended the 90 days. Of course there's nothing entered to your passport nor a piece of paper, but if you copied the finalization notice you get in the window of your computer at completion (no e-mail is sent to you) you've got a date and their words which you can save and print out as proof.

Good Morning! I have some Qs regarding Renewal of my Argentina visa. I hold an Indian Passport.
1. Can i Renew my visa online? like i got approved Tourist E-Visa.
2.If no.. what is the procedure ?
3. Do i have to make the Appointment before going to Migración office in Buenos Aires?
4.Do i have to leave the country to Renew the visa to get stamped?
Appreciate your quick reply!!

You've made that abundantly clear but I think that what those who have overstayed would really like to know is if migraciones is aggressively trying to locate them (aka hunting them down) at the address they provided when they entered Argentina?.
No. They are only aggresive with people from Africa and China. They cannot go to your home without an order of a criminal judge.

Back