Transfer money from US bank account to BA bank account?

hankscott

Registered
I tried recently to use Western Union to transfer $100US from my Bank of America account in the United States to my new Banco Ciudad account in Buenos Aires. The transfer didn't go through, and the Western Union customer service guy told me they don't accept transfers through Western Union. So I have two questions: 1) Does anyone know of another pay to transfer dollars from the US that will be converted to pesos and put in a bank account in Buenos Aires? 2) And if there is such a way, will the bank give you the blue rate?

I think I might be able to do a conventional international wire transfer from the US to BA, but I expect they will only use the official rate.

Hi, must be a situation with Banco Ciudad . I transfer with WU from my B of A account in USA to a local savings account/Caja de ahorro. The rate can be close to the Blue the rate now is $1134.9, minus the commission rate, perhaps 5%, depending on amount , etc.

Try also Moneygram

Last edited:
WU rejected my last two transfers to Banco Santander. So now I’m just paying the $40 usd international transfer fee from Chase and jumping through Santander hoops. Ugh.

I tried recently to use Western Union to transfer $100US from my Bank of America account in the United States to my new Banco Ciudad account in Buenos Aires. The transfer didn't go through, and the Western Union customer service guy told me they don't accept transfers through Western Union. So I have two questions: 1) Does anyone know of another pay to transfer dollars from the US that will be converted to pesos and put in a bank account in Buenos Aires? 2) And if there is such a way, will the bank give you the blue rate?

I think I might be able to do a conventional international wire transfer from the US to BA, but I expect they will only use the official rate.
Have you ever made a Western Union transfer? When I started doing bank to bank transfers a couple years ago, I couldn't do a bank to bank transfer until I did one transfer from my US bank to be picked up in person in Buenos Aires. I would just get errors and it wouldn't go through.

One other thing. If you have made a transfer previously, have you filled the tax form with Western Union which is required by Argentina? You can usually only do two transfers before any more can go through.

Money remittance companies (WU, MG, etc.) are all your best bet as the only other official en blanco option is a SWIFT transfer which requires a dollar denominated saving account here, and you'll pay ~$40 to receive the funds.

If you're having issues with direct deposit, you can do US bank account to pickup and physically deposit them in a Banco Ciudad ATM. I know it's a pain in the ass, but WU will never explain why it doesn't like certain things. With the US website, I can deposit direct to my husband's account, with the Canada site (cheaper transfer fee) it can only be picked up in person, it's like he's quasi blacklisted.

Thanks for the many responses! I followed one suggestion and used Moneygram to successfully transfer $100 US from my New York City bank account to my BancoCiudad account in Buenos Aires .Moneygram delivered 113.564,36 Argentine pesos to my account in less than 30 minutes. — very close to the blue rate. The fee was $1.98 US! Bye bye Western Union!

Thanks for the many responses! I followed one suggestion and used Moneygram to successfully transfer $100 US from my New York City bank account to my BancoCiudad account in Buenos Aires .Moneygram delivered 113.564,36 Argentine pesos to my account in less than 30 minutes. — very close to the blue rate. The fee was $1.98 US! Bye bye Western Union!
I used to use Moneygram a lot. The only problem is that they haven't been very competitive for quite a while. But it's nice to know in an hour that everything worked ok.

Back