Transferring Funds To The U.s.

Finding those people is not easy. You can't walk off the street into some lawyer's office and ask about that. In my experience there are few Argentines who understand how to contact these types of people as well.

You don't have to have a whole lot of money, as an Argentine (or anyone else) to want to get your money 1) converted to dollars and 2) figure out how to get it out of the country. I have people who make a very little bit of money, relatively, who buy dollars all the time from me (because I need pesos for expenses). Middle class people who make more money and take trips from time to time do not equal people who are connected in this fashion and have tons of money.

It can be done legally with stocks and bonds if he has the right tools. That is a local bank account and broker and an offshore bank account and broker. He will first have to prove the origin of funds.

I´m not sure of the difference between a cueva and a casa de cambio, or if they are the same thing.
In Mendoza on the block of San Martin where the McDonalds is (I think it´s between Catamarca and Garibaldi), there´s a sort of small indoor mall area where you can step in off the street. Back in a corner there´s a window where you can change money.
Is this a cueva, and how would one go about asking them to send money out of the country -- just go up to the window and ask?

A cueva its an illegal exchange place, and they allow you to do illegal stuff, like buying dollars without AFIP permission at the blue rate.
Casa de cambio is the one that puts the offical exchange rate but no one (this side of the counter) can get it. Well, unless you want to sell.

So what kind of paperwork and such does one need to use the low value forex options (Western Union, SWIFT for family, etc.)?

After living here for 5 months I've decided that I need to save up money to leave and lord knows Evitas aren't good anywhere but
here.

I have a US Bank Account naturally and I'm looking to try and convert around $2,500 ARS a month to USD to save in my account.
If the limit is $150 USD that's fine, I'll convert the rest to Euro/USD in cash but given the way this country is I'd rather not keep
paper money anywhere and I'm sure as hell not going to save it in the banks to wait for a round up or at home and wait for a B&E
before I move to Europe.

I get I can send money to friend(s) monthly and just have them deposit it, but besides this I assume the only way it to take the dollar
bills to a cave and pay the ~3% for the wire/SWIFT transfer.

P.S. I work in Blanco.

Back