Transferring money to Argentina from the US

Yes, the money was changed into pesos as it arrived to my bank account here in pesos. There wasn't a fee for the transfer itself, as in the US my account has the benefit of no fee for international transfers. However the exchange rate was a difference of $0,02 per dollar. In other words, I was given an exchange rate of let's say $3,20 for each dollar that was transferred here and then when I had to buy the dollars again I had to pay $3,22 per dollar to the bank for the purchase of the dollars. Hope that clears things up for you.

Go to FOREX exchange house and have them send the money directly to you in dollars. They send the $ to Uruguay and then they give it to you in USD. No exchange BS. They charge a fee of 1.5 % I think. Check it out.

When they found out that I could not go straight to escritura Banco Piano made me send my money straight back. I can tell you I lost a lot on the exchange rates.
You need to be sure before you send the money over, because NO ONE here really knows the law and they all interpret it their own way.

Davidglen77 said:
Yes, the money was changed into pesos as it arrived to my bank account here in pesos. There wasn't a fee for the transfer itself, as in the US my account has the benefit of no fee for international transfers. However the exchange rate was a difference of $0,02 per dollar. In other words, I was given an exchange rate of let's say $3,20 for each dollar that was transferred here and then when I had to buy the dollars again I had to pay $3,22 per dollar to the bank for the purchase of the dollars. Hope that clears things up for you.

Do you have a dollar account at HBSC? Couldn't you send it dollar to dollar?

Incoming wires have to be in pesos by Banco Central de Reserva law in Argentina. Banco Piano has another way of transferring money which bypasses that Banco Central rule which involves using their own bank account in the US, and they will give you the money here, you have to trust them (I've done it and they gave me the money for 2% fee which is just as bad as doing the double conversion). Moneygram will also give you the money in dollars, but that only works for small amounts.

mini said:
Do you have a dollar account at HBSC? Couldn't you send it dollar to dollar?

Also, keep in mind that while prices for real estate are always in US dollars, the law in Argentina syas that ALL transactions must be completed in Pesos, although with property that is often avoided, but it is the law.

Good luck. Most people skate through with no problems, but some get nailed!!

RR

However you do it make sure the money is declared officially or you will have trouble when you come to sell the property in the future.

I had a friend use Western Union to send me money. It was pretty simple. I'm not sure what extra fee he might have had to pay but it was fairly simple. I just went right across the road to the nearest Western Union desk and picked up my money a few minutes later.

josue_eeuu said:
I had a friend use Western Union to send me money. It was pretty simple. I'm not sure what extra fee he might have had to pay but it was fairly simple. I just went right across the road to the nearest Western Union desk and picked up my money a few minutes later.

Western Union is fine for small quantities that you need quickly, but huge fees make it impracticable for large sums of cash.

jez said:
Western Union is fine for small quantities that you need quickly, but huge fees make it impracticable for large sums of cash.

And even for small amounts, Moneygram is way cheaper. Moneygram is charging $10 for up to $899, but that is if you go in person to a moneygram office in the US. If you do it over the internet it is $25 (if you do it over the internet you can't do it from an IP address in Argentina, and you can't transfer it to yourself).

Back