Transferring money to Argentinian bank account

esllou

Registered
I have a UK HSBC account and I want to transfer money to the account of my friend here in Argentina (Standard Bank is her bank).

Is that possible without having to fill in a thousand forms? Has anyone else done bank-to-bank transfers to argentina?

There are people who can take care of the transaction to bring money into the country in white who charge around 1 or 2% but for doing a small transfer it's a bit of a hassle

Fettucini is right. Its a hassle, some just to moneygram or western union, then the person picks it up and deposits it on the Argentine account.

esllou said:
I have a UK HSBC account and I want to transfer money to the account of my friend here in Argentina (Standard Bank is her bank).

Is that possible without having to fill in a thousand forms? Has anyone else done bank-to-bank transfers to argentina?

Go into the Standard Bank and ask them. When I transferred money here for a property (Legally - although from 'me to me') I only had to fill in one form when the money arrived.

You could consider too using a "casa de cambio" on Sarmiento in the center.

For instance (not promoting them, plenty offer this service) Maguitur at Sarmiento 464 allows money to be wired from outside Argentina, with a limit of 2000 US$ per transaction (higher if the sender is a parent, in which case you need to show a birth certificate).
They charge 4% and their exchange rate is the best one in town (like for each casa de cambio on sarmiento).

Hoping that helps

After establishing a relationship w/ them ie. accounts etc....

2% +- for transfers up to $2000 USD per month for "Ayuda familiar" transfers...:) 36-48 hrs and funds are available ...

http://www.bancopiano.com.ar/

doing it with a bank is pain, no way to avoid filling out forms and loosing a lot of money in conversion... financieras are better, I found one that charges 1.2% and I get the money with 1 day. The problem is that you really have to trust them. Moneygram is better than western union, but if you go over $2,000 US, forget it, you will be filling out the same forms as the bank and getting asked lots of questions. If you are buying property, the best solution is to send the money from the US to a "normal" country.

Banco Piano transfers are easier (but still expensive). You can also cash US checks at Banco Piano (their rates recently went up). Still, after a few transfers, they will want you to fill out paperwork and explain where the money is coming from. If it is a one or two time operation, always say "Ayuda familiar"

Hi

I use Caxton FastPay. It's free and offers good exchange rates. It's a brilliant service - caxtonfx.com. Alternatively you could pay via SWIFT from your bank, but it will cost £16 or so - search for 'international banking' on your bank's website. Either way, you'll need your friend's IBAN - this is the international bank account number, which they can get by ringing / queueing for ages in their bank here.

The other route is PayPal which is very easy...

Matt

thanks everyone. I suspected it wasn't going to be simple!

IBAN numbers are not applicable to argentine banks, I don't think. They're only for european and some asian countries.

I have a "Send money overseas" link on my internet account, I just wanted to know what would happen if I filled in that form with the swift/account numbers - if anyone had just done that to an argentinian account. Does it work??

Risky at best.....you will wait a long time..if it even arrives..!!! IMHO....

Back