Transferring Us Money To Argentina

Ocean_Sun

Registered
Hello, I'm a USA citizen wanting to stay in Argentina for at least 5 to 6 months. For now I bought a ticket to Argentina to stay just 2 months and bringing cash with me, but if I do decide to stay longer like for 5 or 6 months my cash will eventually run out... wanting to know what's the best way to get cash or pesos? If I do decide to stay longer get money from my Bank in the USA to Argentina, and still getting a good exchange rate? From what I've read using the ATM is not so great cuz of the fees? What do you suggest please? I've heard of Xoom but I've been reading a lot of complaints of money not coming through or it taking too long for money to come in? I've also read little bit of using RIA? Please I would appreciate any suggestions. ^_^

If you bring 10k USD with you they will last for 6 and more months. Pay with credit or debit card whenever possible, *do not* withdraw at ATM as it is the least convenient option at the moment.

Obviously, long term expat decide to do so because they need cash, but if you are here for just 5-6 months, no need to withdraw, just bring the cash with you!

Get a credit card that has not extra fee when using abroad and use where possible. Also get a Schwab checking account. They will refund the ATM fees. Exchange rate from Xoom and Ria has not been that great recently.

It can be difficult (if not impossible) to use RIA transfer funds from your own account to yourself while you are in Argentina. It is easy to do so using XOOM. You have to open a Schwab brokerage account in order to get a Schwab checking account (which will enable you to get their debit card), but you can make deposits directly to the checking account and never maintain a balance in the brokerage account. There is no minimum balance requirement for the checking account and, in addition to the fact that they reimburse foreign bank charges for ATM use, there are no monthly account maintenance fees. Their CSRs are fantastic and will treat you like you have a million dollars in your account, even if you have less than a hundred.
emo32.gif

PS: Using a Schwab debit card an ATM in BA can be a bit "tricky" as I recently discovered. I recently started using mine at a Banco Patagonia branch in a nearby town. There are three ATMs in the foyer but only one of them will dispense pesos when I've tried to use the card. I have no problem withdrawing 2000 pesos at a time. My daily withdrawal limit is $200USD but I could increase that with a call to Schwab (free using Skype). Be sure to inform the bank you will be using the card in Argentina before you use it here for the first time. You will get the daily "Visa rate" when you do.

Make it simpler!!Bring one or two debit cards and get pesos at near the oficial rate at any ATM! You can do it now that all the restriccions have been lifted. I do it all the time.

Back