Transporting a dog from Argentina to California

Meri

Registered
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience bringing an Argentine born dog back to the US (California specifically)? I'm thinking of getting a dog here and may return to the US in a year or so - beginning to research. Thanks for your time!
Meri

Transporting a dog from here to California will be so dangerous (and traumatic) to the dog. If it is only a year, wouldn't it be better to wait until you are in California to get a dog?

Thanks! I doubt I'll get a dog that small. I have friends who have used an animal transport service to take their dog from the US to Australia. It's expensive but they felt very safe. I anticipate I'd use something like that. Also researching potential quarentine issues (to determine if this is feasible or not!)

Meri said:
Thanks! I doubt I'll get a dog that small. I have friends who have used an animal transport service to take their dog from the US to Australia. It's expensive but they felt very safe. I anticipate I'd use something like that. Also researching potential quarentine issues (to determine if this is feasible or not!)
I didn't know there was such a thing. Do you know any more about the company they used?

Last year my wife successfully brought two dogs from Buenos Aires to the U.S. The necessary document is titled 'Certificado Veterinario Internacional Para La Exportación de Caninos y Felinos Hacia Los Estados Unidos de América' / International Veterinary Certificate for the Export of Dogs and Cats to the United States of America.

The 2-page certificate names the owner, the dog, certifies rabies vaccination, the health of the dog, and inspection for screwworm.

A veterinarian authorized by SENASA (a government agency) signed the certificate and applied an official stamp.

By the way, the dogs originally were brought to Argentina from the U.S., but I don't think that made any difference when they departed. No mention is made in the certificate of the dogs' birth certificates or citizenship. :)

Once you find a SENASA-authorized vet, the process should be relatively straightforward.

I had a friend just bring his dog back to the States from Argentina and my roommate sent his ex-girlfriend's dog to her in Colombia. You have to have your papers in order with all the shots and then pay some kind of extra fee with the airlines. It's not that big of a deal. And if you don't have your papers in order, you can pay a "fixer" to get official stamps that say that everything is in order. (One of the two people listed did that.)

It's not a big deal. Go ahead and get whatever dog you want. And don't worry about it being traumatic. If you've had to experience airline food, then they can handle the flight to the States.

NOTE: The crate that you ship them in has to be big enough so that the dog can turn around while inside the crate. That might affect how big of a dog you get, because the crate has to be that much bigger than the dog.

Awesome - thanks all for the great advice :0)

Btw - for the person above who asked, the transport companies I've been recommended are: jetpets or petexpress

Another issue to keep in mind is that airlines will refuse to transport dogs if the temperature at embarkation OR destination airport is below 45 F. or above 85 F.

I just had an immense hassle with American Airlines, bringing two dogs back to Argentina in early March. The temperature at JFK airport was 39 F., and AA rudely informed me, 'Go home, you ain't flying.' Next day I returned, same problem. But this time, a helpful manager informed me that a special document called 'Certificate of Acclimatization' signed by the vet could allow the 'temperature window' rule to be waived.

I had to call the vet from the ticket counter and get this certificate issued and sent to AA by fax -- two hours of last-minute "tramites." Then you have to unpack the dogs from their kennels and hand-carry them through the TSA's metal detector or scanner. AARGH!

With Argentina and the U.S. being in opposite hemispheres, probably the best idea is to schedule your trip in spring or autumn, when neither end of your travel itinerary is at extreme temperatures. Suerte!

check continental's program for flying animals. they take measures to avoid the temperature problem. we've used them.

the senasa paperwork here is pretty simple... we had to do it to cross into uruguay with our dog in car. easier than doing it in the states on our way here.

Back