Transporting a dog from Argentina to California

sam3g said:
-As After5 mentioned, temp at all destinations cannot be below 45F or above 85F (this includes the layover destination). Since we are stopping in Texas and arriving in Minnesota, this basically means we can only bring our cat in the fall or spring. She said you can get a Vet to exempt the animal for temps lower than 45F (but not above 85F).
In my experience, the temperature requirements aren't consistently enforced, especially on this end of the flight. Flying from EZE, I've never been challenged, although a number of times I was flying in hotter weather here or colder/hotter weather in the US.

You're more likely to encounter problems boarding the pet at the point of connection for the continuing flight in the US. You will need to clear customs and USDA with the pet at the point of arrival and then re-check the pet for the ongoing flight. This is where you may encounter problems.

Once I arrived at DFW on a very hot morning, and they refused to accept my dog for the ongoing flight. I asked that they re-book us for the latest flight that evening, when the temperatures would have cooled down, and they did so without additional charges. We spent the day in an air-conditioned hotel near the airport.

The other requirements you describe are standard, and any commercial pet carrier that you buy in a veterinaria will meet them, other than possibly the second dish, which you can buy separately (at least you can in the US!) and attach to the door. The carrier must be large enough for the pet to stand up, turn around, and lie down comfortably.

The airline provides a bunch of stickers and forms to satisfy the signage requirements.

Often, they will tie the door closed with plastic cable ties. If you want to take your pet out of the carrier - important if you're traveling with a dog on a connecting flight - you should take a nail clipper or tiny scissor (TSA-acceptable) in your carry-on to cut the strap.

I have recent experience going the opposite way. I have just shipped my 80lb, 2 year old boxer from Fort Lauderdale to Buenos Aires. I used Continental/United's 'Petsafe' transport service. I found the service to be excellent. When I dropped him off they said they'd keep him in the air conditioned office until the last minute then put him on the flight. In Houston he had a change of planes and 3 hour layover during which they walked him and kept him in air conditioning (boxers can easily become overwhelmed by the heat). He arrived on time, safe and happy. Please just make sure that the transport kennel is extra/extra big so the dog can stand up easily and that its ventilated on all 4 sides.

Please do not take a dog in Argentina to bring it back to the US unless he is small enough to travel in the cabin with you. There is no need to put an animal in such a dangerous and traumatic experience unless you absolutely must ( ie: you have had the dog for a long time). I hope you follow this advice as many dogs never make it to final destination alive.

Hello. I am trying to move back to the states with a cat. I bought a ticket thinking that the United Petsafe plan would deal with her transportation but upon calling the airline (they sent me an email indicating I should) they said I have to get a private carrier to do all the loading/unloading. Does anyone have experience with this? Can you reccomend a service? Ideally, something not soooooooo expensive. Any pointers are appreciated.

You e that person! Take her under your seat and have all the paperwork doneshouldnt be Any problem if she fits under you seat!

Another issue to keep in mind is that airlines will refuse to transport dogs if the temperature at embarkation OR destination airport is below 45 F. or above 85 F.

I just had an immense hassle with American Airlines, bringing two dogs back to Argentina in early March. The temperature at JFK airport was 39 F., and AA rudely informed me, 'Go home, you ain't flying.' Next day I returned, same problem. But this time, a helpful manager informed me that a special document called 'Certificate of Acclimatization' signed by the vet could allow the 'temperature window' rule to be waived.

I had to call the vet from the ticket counter and get this certificate issued and sent to AA by fax -- two hours of last-minute "tramites." Then you have to unpack the dogs from their kennels and hand-carry them through the TSA's metal detector or scanner. AARGH!

With Argentina and the U.S. being in opposite hemispheres, probably the best idea is to schedule your trip in spring or autumn, when neither end of your travel itinerary is at extreme temperatures. Suerte!

Fortunate your dogs were not Irish wolfhounds to hand-carry through security.

Hello. I am trying to move back to the states with a cat. I bought a ticket thinking that the United Petsafe plan would deal with her transportation but upon calling the airline (they sent me an email indicating I should) they said I have to get a private carrier to do all the loading/unloading. Does anyone have experience with this? Can you reccomend a service? Ideally, something not soooooooo expensive. Any pointers are appreciated.

If I knew there was a cat on a flight, I would ask to change flights.

I'm not completely up on all of this stuff but I think it's a somewhat new policy (I think Argentine?) that you have to use a third party agency to transport an animal. I've gotten quotes from 2 different places to transport my 8 kilo cocker spaniel to the East Coast of the US-Pets Ventura and WorldCare Pet - Pets Ventura was like 1/2 the price. WorldCare has quoted me $3400 which is a crazy number. I think you just need to use an agency if they can't fit under the seat in the cabin. Cabin travel is of course optimal for a ton of reasons and I would think a cat would qualify for that?? Best of luck for a safe trip - I know how stressful the process is!

I'm not completely up on all of this stuff but I think it's a somewhat new policy (I think Argentine?) that you have to use a third party agency to transport an animal. I've gotten quotes from 2 different places to transport my 8 kilo cocker spaniel to the East Coast of the US-Pets Ventura and WorldCare Pet - Pets Ventura was like 1/2 the price. WorldCare has quoted me $3400 which is a crazy number. I think you just need to use an agency if they can't fit under the seat in the cabin. Cabin travel is of course optimal for a ton of reasons and I would think a cat would qualify for that?? Best of luck for a safe trip - I know how stressful the process is!
Can someone confirm this? Is it mandatory to use a third party agency, for all countries? I am trying to get info for France... On the airline pages, including Aerolineas, there is no mention of the need to use a third party agency. It is of course convienent, though.

Would be grateful if someone who has flown recently could confirm this! Thanks!

Can someone confirm this? Is it mandatory to use a third party agency, for all countries? I am trying to get info for France... On the airline pages, including Aerolineas, there is no mention of the need to use a third party agency. It is of course convienent, though.

Would be grateful if someone who has flown recently could confirm this! Thanks!

Hi Noruega,
I am in the middle of organising my dogs flight to Europe and no, you don't have to use a transport company. I went to my local vet who happens to have experience in this and she told me that once I am clear on the European laws, I can get all the necessary paperwork done here myself and the dog could be transported without any transport company getting involved. This is possible as the dog will be travelling with us, on the same flight but I don't know if this is the same if your dog has to fly cargo (your dog would need to be pretty huge to have to fly cargo). Each airline has different guidelines though so it's worth researching what your specific airline requires.

Back